How you doing?

One of the tanks I had purchased earlier this year is an acrylic 40 gallon. I bought it used, and as such it has a few minor scratches and some swirl marks. With the tank empty and dry, I figured I'd take a stab at polishing the acrylic. I used Meguiars Plastx, a hand drill with a hook-and-loop 3" pad attachment, and a finishing (black) pad. Typically I use the pad and drill for the CX-9's smaller areas like the A/B/C pillars.

I was able to get almost all of the swirl marks out, but there are a few deeper scratches that I'd need to be more aggressive with to repair. They aren't so deep that I could catch them with my nail, but you really have to look for them, so I decided I would just leave it as is. I found that I got the best results using the least aggressive pad I could find with very, very light hand pressure, a moderate hand speed and a moderate amount of product. If you work too slowly, the pad heats up quickly and can cause hazing. Same thing happens if you don't use enough product - the pad heats up faster and hazing can become a problem. Took me a couple of passes to figure that out.

attachment.php

I also put together a quick test scape. It's hard for me to scape with so few materials. I planned to use many more smaller detail rocks and maybe a piece of driftwood if I could find the right one, but with all of the shipping channels closed now, I just have to be more patient. I think I'll spring for one or two 55 pound boxes of stone when it becomes available again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also scaped the quarantine/hospital 10g tank.
IMG_20200419_082634.jpg

IMG_20200419_081809.jpg

And something car-related.. I finished painting these horns I plan to install once the weather warms up. They are much louder than the standard horns on the CX-9. I had a similar pair for my Lexus, and I've had instances in the past where it seemed like people didn't hear me when I laid on the horn. After installing those horns I never had that problem again. I'm hoping these ones are just as loud.

IMG_20200417_140638_720.jpg

IMG_20200418_122855_457.jpg

Checking in...How's everyone been holding up?

Any updates on the projects posted in this thread? 😁

Ps...Hopefully the worst is over, thread moved to the Lounge.

My project at present is the stock market. I invested $2625 into it, and am planning in 1 year to use the proceeds to purchase a MAWL C1, and night vision.

So far, I'm off to a rather slow start, but I'm working at it!

NODS.jpg

54% in 3 months is a 'slow start'? I think we have different definitions of that term.

Dow was over 29000 3 months ago. now about 24000?

Serious, are you some secret quant at a hedge fund?

NODs that I want are $10k. MAWL is 2500 by itself. I want to buy in a year. It's going to need to hurry. I'm at @75%, now, but this is not enough, as I suspect today is just an upswing, but we will see. I want it to move with Purpose, Capital P, man!

Last edited:
Dow was over 29000 3 months ago. now about 24000?

Serious, are you some secret quant at a hedge fund?
No, I honestly just got into the market where my graph begins. I'm just looking to make a quick buck to fuel a purchase, as well as a supervisor of mine showed me this app "robinhood" one night, so I downloaded it and threw some money in and thought it was cool/fun.

At first glance, Robinhood looks just like any other low cost/fee-free trading platform.

Is it more than that?

No, it's a fee free, user friendly app that even a dummy like me can use.
I know HOW to buy & sell...it's the WHAT and the WHEN that eludes me.

One of the articles I read made me face-palm. Some said "This makes trading too easy," as though a crappy app was gonna impart impulse control or something.

I know HOW to buy & sell...it's the WHAT and the WHEN that eludes me.

One of the articles I read made me face-palm. Some said "This makes trading too easy," as though a crappy app was gonna impart impulse control or something.
I'm not sure I am of much help, there, as I've only turned an eye to this as of a couple of months ago. Also, yes, it will test any compulsions you have, as it is VERY easy to transfer money about....

Big moves, today. Broke the 100% barrier. Hopefully things will start picking up faster now as more states open. I have stuff and things to buy! #IamNotPatient
Screenshot_20200526-095647_Robinhood.jpg

Get as detailed as you like (or don't like.)

What the heck did you invest in?
Or can you disclose the general industry?

I imagine there are lots of deals these days in the energy sector.

I belonged to an investment club in the early 90s...lots of smart coworkers were in it. We sucked at picking individual stocks. I stay with mutual funds.

Now if I could only get my timing right...

I imagine there are lots of deals these days in the energy sector.

I belonged to an investment club in the early 90s...lots of smart coworkers were in it. We sucked at picking individual stocks. I stay with mutual funds.

Now if I could only get my timing right...
I ignored my broker friend's advice and struck out on my own. I invested a total of $2625 in my en devour, as a personal challenge. To me, this is the same as stepping onto the mats, or sliding under the bar, or anything else that pits my mettle against an uncaring world.

Back