How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

ok so i finally did it, and it looks awesome! But now when i put my left turn signal on, both turn signals blink faintly, But when i use my right, it works fine. Im thinking its a blow bulb, but is it possible i wired it wrong?

yea i'm also having another problem that i think is related to the fact that i'm using the 12V off of the fog light switch. but when i try to dim my cluster, it works for a sec and then the dimmer starts buzzing loudly and my hid fogs start flickering. it's pretty scary actually. would using the ignition 12V solve this problem? and is anyone else with their rewire done to the 12V at the foglight switch having the same problem with their foglights dimming when they dim the cluster?

mine work fine actually, the only thing that changed is when i push the button to defrost my rear window, that click got alot louder

Fog lights working with mod

drew72ca said:
I did it! Using Bumble G's schematic really helped. For U.S. cars it's a little different, but pretty simple. Look at his schematic and ignore the part about the DRL. Basically, there are two wires you need to work with...the red wire on the relay and the red/white wire on the switch. The red wire on the relay is where it gets the 12V to activate the relay and activate the fog lights. The red/white wire, on the switch, is where the circuit gets its ground. On U.S. cars, this wire goes through the headlight lever to make a ground when in low beam and remove the ground in high beam. So, here's what you do:

1. Cut the red wire on the relay
2. Splice a wire to the red wire on the relay for a 12V source (I piggybacked off my cigarette lighter so the lights can be active with the ignition)
3. Cut the red/white wire on the switch
4. Splice a wire to the red/white on the switch and attach that to ground somewhere.
5. Tape off, insulate, etc the loose red wire you cut from the relay and the loose red/white wire you cut from the switch.

The way I did it, my fog lights now will come on with my ignition and the switch still works to enable and disable. The lights work independent of the conditions of the headlights. If you want to go even further, you can try to find a power source to tap into for the red wire on the relay that only provides power when the engine is running, but this way was pretty simple and foolproof. The only thing you need to remember with the way I did it is that if the key is on (in acc, on) the fog lights will be on if the switch is on.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do it.

Andy

I just did my fog lights always on as per reply of Bumble G's and drew72ca's method and works fine, my protege 5 is a US spec.The only thing I did different was take the 12V source of the dim light switch besides the fog lights switch. I tap the red wire of the relay to the green/black wire of the dim switch, so the fog lights will have power when the parking lights are on and you will not leave them on when getting out of the car because of the damn buzz they make when lights are on. The best of all is that the fog lights switch still works and you can shut down them from that switch too. Also when I arm or disarm the alarm they blink, great look too for the alarm. Just 15 Minutes of work and for free......
Thanks a lot for theses guys. Keep it up...
Deivett

Wow, this is the first time i have seen this "how-to"

I hate to be the bad guy, but i dont recomend anyone do this mod. As an avid road and mountain biker, i can say that encountering sombody on the road at night with fog lights on is not far from having brights on. We get blinded by these lights very easily.

drew72ca said:
I did it! Using Bumble G's schematic really helped. For U.S. cars it's a little different, but pretty simple. Look at his schematic and ignore the part about the DRL. Basically, there are two wires you need to work with...the red wire on the relay and the red/white wire on the switch. The red wire on the relay is where it gets the 12V to activate the relay and activate the fog lights. The red/white wire, on the switch, is where the circuit gets its ground. On U.S. cars, this wire goes through the headlight lever to make a ground when in low beam and remove the ground in high beam. So, here's what you do:

1. Cut the red wire on the relay
2. Splice a wire to the red wire on the relay for a 12V source (I piggybacked off my cigarette lighter so the lights can be active with the ignition)
3. Cut the red/white wire on the switch
4. Splice a wire to the red/white on the switch and attach that to ground somewhere.
5. Tape off, insulate, etc the loose red wire you cut from the relay and the loose red/white wire you cut from the switch.

The way I did it, my fog lights now will come on with my ignition and the switch still works to enable and disable. The lights work independent of the conditions of the headlights. If you want to go even further, you can try to find a power source to tap into for the red wire on the relay that only provides power when the engine is running, but this way was pretty simple and foolproof. The only thing you need to remember with the way I did it is that if the key is on (in acc, on) the fog lights will be on if the switch is on.

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do it.

Andy

i did all that and some how mine didn't work.......i cut the red from the relay...spliced it over to the 12V part of the cigarrette lighter and grounded the red/white of the plug and it doesn't work...HELP!!!!!

I just did this mod using the steps on post 151. Very nice... (and for those who are too lazy to read the rest of this thread- yes, the switch still works)

so, i did the mod and now my cruise control doesn't work if the lights are on. the cruise control works fine as long as the lights are off. but, as soon as i turn the lights on, the cruise control stops working. anyone have any thoughts?

I just bought a MSP an '03 not to long ago and I believe the guy did this mod. THe only issue I have is when I hit the keyless entry to lock the doors the lights come on and stay on. Also since I have a turbo timer I can not lock the doors till the car shuts down. Anybody have any solutions to any of my problems. Thanks

Also since I have a turbo timer I can not lock the doors till the car shuts down. Anybody have any solutions to any of my problems.

Yep. it is because the keyless entry system is deactivated when the car is on. You might try this mod:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2578493&postcount=12

Although I am not totally sure if it will work- not sure how a turbo timer is wired to keep the car on... It is worth a shot though.

I tried to wire my fogs using the instructions on page 12. Doing so caused my parking lights, gauge lights, and rear night time running lights to not work. I reverted back to stock and the above items still do not work. I think i must have fried a fuse or relay or something.

Can some of you wiring guru's please help me figure out why my parking lights, cluster, and night time running lights no longer work.

Any help is needed. Thanks

Last edited:
you may have shorted something and blown a fuse. have you tried checking fuses? Also- have you tried undoing whatever mod you made and seeing if lights return?

Gotta thank Crazy D for doing mine! :D

FogLightMod.jpg

Back