How To: Rewire Fogs For Always On

Ferrari said:
Please post some pic...It would be very helpful...Thanks!!
I didn't take any pics. I thought my instructions were clear enough without them. It is really not that difficult.

If you want the fogs to come on independent of the parking lights you will have to use a dedicated power source instead of the green/black wire. I think somebody posted instructions for this a page or two before my writeup.

novadan67 said:
I didn't take any pics. I thought my instructions were clear enough without them. It is really not that difficult.

If you want the fogs to come on independent of the parking lights you will have to use a dedicated power source instead of the green/black wire. I think somebody posted instructions for this a page or two before my writeup.

Thanks! I found the writeup how to wire the fog lights to be controlled only by it switch.

Well, I did this mod this weekend and it worked great. As I stated in the previous post I made a few changes to the previous mods to get the functionality that I wanted:

1. Fog light switch still functional
2. Fog lights come on with parking lights
3. Fog lights stay on with high beams

It was actually really easy. For completeness I'll list all the steps that I performed.

1. Remove the panel on the side of the fog light switch. I used a small flat screwdriver to pry the panel out (it just pops off).
2. Locate the fog light relay under the dash by your left foot. As stated before it is easy to find by listening and feeling it while you toggle the fog light switch.
3. Cut the red wire and tape off the end that does not connect to the relay. Make sure you leave enough wire connected to the relay so you can attach your own wire.
4. Attach a wire of your own to the red wire on the relay.
5. Route the wire up to your fog light switch. (tape it to the other wires under the dash so that it is secure and out of the way)
6. Splice this wire to the green/black wire at the fog light switch.
7. If you want your fogs to stay on with your brights, you need to ground the red/white wire at the switch. I did this by cutting the red/white wire and splicing it (the end leading into the switch) to the blue/white wire of the switch. This is the ground for the switch illumination.
8. Tape the red/white wire (the end going to the harness) up so there are no shorts.
9. Re-install the side panel by popping it back on.

All done! This can easily be done in less than a half hour. If you do not want your fogs to stay on with the brights, skip steps 7 and 8. It is technically illegal to have more than 4 lights on at once while on public roads, but since you will dim the brights whenever anyone is close - I don't see how anyone will be able to tell the highs/lows/fogs are all on at the same time.
Will any of this instructions work for the 3? I assume the wires are a bit different but the concept should be the same right?

I am sure the wiring will be quite a bit different. I also did this mod on my 02 Tribute and 94 RX-7 and they were all VERY different. For example, the tribute did not require the extra grounding of the relay to keep the fogs on with the brights (the power source disabled the fogs instead of the ground). I just got under the dash with an ohm meter and figured it out for each car. Have you searched the 3 forums? I am sure somebody has done this already.

novadan67 said:
Well, I did this mod this weekend and it worked great. As I stated in the previous post I made a few changes to the previous mods to get the functionality that I wanted:

It was actually really easy. For completeness I'll list all the steps that I performed.

1. Remove the panel on the side of the fog light switch. I used a small flat screwdriver to pry the panel out (it just pops off).
2. Locate the fog light relay under the dash by your left foot. As stated before it is easy to find by listening and feeling it while you toggle the fog light switch.
3. Cut the red wire and tape off the end that does not connect to the relay. Make sure you leave enough wire connected to the relay so you can attach your own wire.
5. Route the wire up to your fog light switch. (tape it to the other wires under the dash so that it is secure and out of the way)
7. If you want your fogs to stay on with your brights, you need to ground the red/white wire at the switch. I did this by cutting the red/white wire and splicing it (the end leading into the switch) to the blue/white wire of the switch. This is the ground for the switch illumination.
8. Tape the red/white wire (the end going to the harness) up so there are no shorts.

All done! This can easily be done in less than a half hour. If you do not want your fogs to stay on with the brights, skip steps 7 and 8. It is technically illegal to have more than 4 lights on at once while on public roads, but since you will dim the brights whenever anyone is close - I don't see how anyone will be able to tell the highs/lows/fogs are all on at the same time.

That was almost TOO easy! Thanks :)

NVMY03GT said:
Alright will someone PLEASE take some pictures. Actually my Wife has a '02 mazda Protege not P5, so I need some help PLEASE (deadhorse

Go through this whole thread. Plenty of pictures in here to make it very easy.

NVMY03GT said:
They appear to be only for the P5??

Look at the pics for p5 and then take a look under the dash of your wife's car. I have no doubt that foglight switch is the same and there's a good chance relay is exactly the same and in the same location.

Erci said:
Look at the pics for p5 and then take a look under the dash of your wife's car. I have no doubt that foglight switch is the same and there's a good chance relay is exactly the same and in the same location.

Fog Light switch is in EXACT same location as your cars. Just didn't know if Wiring was the same or not.

novadan67 said:

Im going to try this out tomorrow

so i rad through the whole thing, and my question wasnt answerd. When i turn my lights completely off, do the fogs turn off to? Or are they always on, even when the rest of my lights are off?

FrolessWonder said:
so i rad through the whole thing, and my question wasnt answerd. When i turn my lights completely off, do the fogs turn off to? Or are they always on, even when the rest of my lights are off?

When you turn lights completely off, fogs will go off as well.

Erci said:
When you turn lights completely off, fogs will go off as well.
There was a writeup in this tread where they used a different power source which is independent of the light switch. In that case the fog lights WILL NOT turn off when you turn the lights off.

If you follow my writeup, the fogs will turn off when you turn the lights completely off.

i did this and now my fogs blink when i press the alarm button. normally not a problem but i have HID's in my fogs and i'm afraid the short power jolt is gonna mess up my ballasts. if i run the power to the relay to a different source will it eliminate this?

if you just push the button to turn them off they dont blink when you hit the lock. But that could get old really quick and easily forgettable

Back