How to remove second row seat?

V
Mazda CX-9
I just bought a 2011 CX-9 that has three rows. We have three kids so the plan is to place two of the kids in the second row on the 60 part of the 60/40 split. In the third row we would have only one seat up and another kid would go there.

Since the 40 part of the second row 60/40 split seats will always be down with this configuration I was toying with the idea of removing that seat completely from the car to free up some room.

I was curious if anyone knew how difficult this would be (am I just popping off a few bolts?). I'm also wondering if the car is designed to run like this - I have heard that in some cars it will display warning lights if the computer is hooked to the seat in some way and the seat is gone.

If anyone has any experience with this or any useful information I would love to hear it.

Thanks!

V
2013 CX-9 Grand Touring
I don't think it was designed to be used this way. I could see the kiddo sitting on the inside sliding down between the seatbelt and the seat.

V
Mazda CX 9 Touring 2013
I just did this, removed both 2nd row seats from 2013 CX 9. Seats were easy to unbolt (7 out of the 8 came right out - the last one stripped) The sliding mechanism is left behind. Anyone know how easy it is to remove the slider? I left it for now and built a platform. There is also what looks like an Air conditioning vent in the floor that sticks up about an inch so I'm sure you don't want people stepping on those. 20160609_180207.jpg 20160609_180332.jpg 20160609_180527.jpg 20160610_173138.jpg 20160610_173149.jpg

V
2011 CX-9 Touring Moonroof/bose, 2010 Mazda 3 5dr Moonroof/bose
I don't think the sliding down thing would be an issue since they are all in car seats.
good luck getting two car seats on the 60 portion without it overhanging to the 40 portion... unless you are using sub 17 inch car seats. I have 4 kids.... three in car seats. talk about a dilemma

V
2010 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring
Thank You!

I just did this, removed both 2nd row seats from 2013 CX 9. Seats were easy to unbolt (7 out of the 8 came right out - the last one stripped) The sliding mechanism is left behind. Anyone know how easy it is to remove the slider? I left it for now and built a platform. There is also what looks like an Air conditioning vent in the floor that sticks up about an inch so I'm sure you don't want people stepping on those. View attachment 214320 View attachment 214321 View attachment 214322 View attachment 214323 View attachment 214324
Just used your very handy pix to remove my second row and third row seats from the CX9 to make extra room for moving boy to school. Third row just involves removing the rear insert and then the bolts securing the seat to the floor. Just make sure you have the right socket size or you will strip the heads.

V
Mazda CX 9 GT 2007
Just used your very handy pix to remove my second row and third row seats from the CX9 to make extra room for moving boy to school. Third row just involves removing the rear insert and then the bolts securing the seat to the floor. Just make sure you have the right socket size or you will strip the heads.
We're you able to remove the sliders in the second row? The images from the other person show them still in and if I remove my second row I would like them to be taken out completely. I would like to convert my CX 9 to a full on 4 seater and give more room to passengers and for hauling items

We're you able to remove the sliders in the second row? The images from the other person show them still in and if I remove my second row I would like them to be taken out completely. I would like to convert my CX 9 to a full on 4 seater and give more room to passengers and for hauling items
im about to attempt this myself. Did you get the sliders out?

Latest posts