HOw to remove crank pulley?

HOw to remove crank pulley? It must not be complicated, since I couldn't find any info on this in forum, and many owners have udp or lightweight pulley installed.

The service manual mentions using a SST, but just wondering if there is an easier way.

Short answer - electric or air impact. You can also do it by holding the engine and a looooonnnnggg breaker bar.

But really, the electric impact doesn't cost that much and is also useful for header install, engine mounts. etc...

Last time I put a long breaker bar on the bolt and had the handle up against the FRAME and just quickly turned the ignition on and off to move the starter, wich of course in turn spins the bolt loose. (Check it for being loose with every try!!! Quick ingintion on and off!) It works great but make sure your beakerbar is up against something solid and that you expect the handle to want to go right (when facing the pulley) when you turn the starter. Welcome to in the dirt mechanics lol.

Edit: Don't forget tightening it use some thread lock and alot of muscle, or follow the post above and just use an impact wrench.

Last edited:
Thanks for the how to page.

I don't have an impact wrench, and hope I don't need to get one for now. SO I guess I'll just need to put it in 5th and find a friend to hold on to the other wheel.

ZZZOOM's way is good too, unfortunately I've already taken the head off and disconnected a bunch of stuff. It would freak me out if something actually happens when I turn the ignition.

Try taking the starter out and jamming a crow bar into the flywheel starter teeth, worked great on my Civic, that way you don't have to use the starter method, the crow bar will keep the engine from cranking.

Back