How to make Custom Sway Bar End links

sweet just ordered a set of ball ends. i went with the size right underneath yours to get the extra couple degrees of swivel

What thread direction did you get? if it even matters.

Normal threading for me since I am going to do what was suggested and thread a male and femal together. The point of getting a left and right threaded ball link though is so if you have a rod with an adjustment you can twist the rod to change the length instead of having to take the whole thing off the car.

Yup sounds good...Mcmaster ships pretty quick. Post up some pics when you get it done!

Yup sounds good...Mcmaster ships pretty quick. Post up some pics when you get it done!

If they ship tonight I may have them tomorrow (mcmaster warehouse on the west side of atlanta)

I actually got to thinking the may solve a couple problems on the rx7 where I need ball ends

Good news, bad news and excelent news

Bad news is I got my endlinks today and I should have gone one size larger (the size 808 bought) as the bolts are a touch too big to go through the eyelette so I don't want to use these for my front sway bar (for those who don't know rwd cars usually always have a larger front bar and a smaller rear bar, opposite that of fwd)

Good news is since the rear bar on my car is a twig (maybe 10-15mm bar at the most) I am just going to use these for my rear bar so they don't go to waste.

Excelent news and thise applies to everyone is I did some more research and I found some stuff that will allow you to have a smooth center rod as opposed to the threaded rod 808 used (sorry I think the smooth rod looks a whole lot better) I will let every one know how it works out as I am going to use it to build a camber link for my rx7

I didnt know where to get the female center. Especially in the size that i needed. So I went with the male thread so I could cut it down to get the size that I wanted. (That and I have a 6 foot piece so i can make more if needed)

Good news, bad news and excelent news

Bad news is I got my endlinks today and I should have gone one size larger (the size 808 bought) as the bolts are a touch too big to go through the eyelette so I don't want to use these for my front sway bar (for those who don't know rwd cars usually always have a larger front bar and a smaller rear bar, opposite that of fwd)

Good news is since the rear bar on my car is a twig (maybe 10-15mm bar at the most) I am just going to use these for my rear bar so they don't go to waste.

Excelent news and thise applies to everyone is I did some more research and I found some stuff that will allow you to have a smooth center rod as opposed to the threaded rod 808 used (sorry I think the smooth rod looks a whole lot better) I will let every one know how it works out as I am going to use it to build a camber link for my rx7

These? http://www.mcmaster.com/#6516k61/=2lol47 I bought these and they are very cheap. I didnt even use them cuz i thought the first bump i encounter that they would snap in half

Yea the male threaded rod looks alot more durable than the female one. Thats another reason why I chose that one.

Ok got my links on today. Lesson learned DO NOT order the smaller size 3/8"-24 is a perfect endlink size. With that being said lowes does not carry nuts in the 5/16"-24 size so these went on without jam nuts but seeing as nothing is twisting i shouldnt have a problem. These had to be mounted in my front bar as my rear bar has to have the 3/8" rodend due to the way it mounts. I figure i can run these until the fail on the front and just get the bigger ones. As you can see in the pics they look a tad small.

Car feels great though front end seems a little more responsive over the stock rubber and plastic endlinks and i beat on it quite a bit this afternoon and the links have held up fine

As for my solution for a female center piece, the part i found is not from mcmaster, i ordered it along with all the stuff from mcmaster to make my rear camber link, if it can hold there i dont see any reason for it not to be able to handle an endlink. Pricing wise if you were to build two endlinks with everything i ordered including shipping i would be looking at under $50. Let you guys know how it goes later on this week.

DSCF2323.JPG

DSCF2324.JPG

Wish I'd seen this a couple months ago before I dropped a buttload on new AWR endlinks...

Good writeup 808 and thanks for the extra info Shadow.

ok guys as promised the refined endlink:

DSCF2328.JPG

DSCF2330.JPG

First off before you say anything yes i know i am missing a jam nut, it was late when i put in the order and my dumb ass forgot the reverse threaded jam nut.

Anyway as far as parts are concerned, its two male endlinks in the 3/8"-24 threading. However one is right threaded the other is left threaded. You will also need jamnuts of the same threading once again right and left threaded. These can all be found at Mcmaster. Looking about $30 or so for enough to make two endlinks (jam nuts come in boxes of several,usually 25, so you can make multiple endlinks after the initial cost). The center rod is the trick though. It can be found at coleman racing as a shifter rod. The one in the picture is 7" long and it is pre threaded on each end for 3/8"-24 threads, one side right other side left, this allows you to loosen the jam nuts and twist the center sleeve to adjust the endlink on the car. Price is 8.75 per rod and your looking at about $18 for them. So all in all for a set of endlinks plus shipping plus mounting hardware your looking around $60ish

btw link to coleman racing is http://www.colemanracing.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=8

I am trying to find out a possible step further and get something with a hex so you can put a wrench on it. I will let everyone know how that turns out.

Looking good man! I decided to take out the rubber o rings and use the washers instead. I recently started cycling to work for exercise so I haven't driven the car yet.

Shadow do you have any mor driving impressions for the endlinks you recently put on?

Looking good man! I decided to take out the rubber o rings and use the washers instead. I recently started cycling to work for exercise so I haven't driven the car yet.

Shadow do you have any mor driving impressions for the endlinks you recently put on?

I only drive my 7 once a week or so, drove it about 60miles on monday for work, the front just feels a lot more responsive and not sluggish like it used to.

Back