How To: Kill Door Chime

yay for cars said:
where is the actual device that makes the beep? i just want to muffle it so i cant hear it over music, but i dont wanna mess with wires.

Don't know where the actual device is, but it was soooo easy to pull the cover off the steering column and disconnect (not much harder than pulling a plug out of a regular outlet), there's no reason to look for another way to do it, imo.

Erci said:
Don't know where the actual device is, but it was soooo easy to pull the cover off the steering column and disconnect (not much harder than pulling a plug out of a regular outlet), there's no reason to look for another way to do it, imo.
This method works too, but keep in mind that it will also kill the courtesy light when you open the door. The way I posted has NO ill effects at all. ;)

Natey said:
This method works too, but keep in mind that it will also kill the courtesy light when you open the door. The way I posted has NO ill effects at all. ;)

My courtesy light still works when I open the door. The green light on the steering column works too. :D

Natey said:

D'OH!! Just realized what courtesy light is... as soon as you take the key out, dome light should go on, even without opening the door and I definitely lost that :(

I tried to do it through the gauge cluster, but factory alarm LED wouldn't let me pull the trim piece out.
For those who have factory alarm, is there any way to do this through gauge cluster without having to cut wires for LED that sits in the middle of gauge trim piece? (If there isn't, no big deal, I'll just cut the wires and solder them back together when I'm done)

Erci said:
I tried to do it through the gauge cluster, but factory alarm LED wouldn't let me pull the trim piece out.
For those who have factory alarm, is there any way to do this through gauge cluster without having to cut wires for LED that sits in the middle of gauge trim piece? (If there isn't, no big deal, I'll just cut the wires and solder them back together when I'm done)

Yeah - look down below the stering colum under the dash. You should be able to find the shock sensor (IIRC a white plastic box) ziptied or taped to one of the larger wire bundles. Connected to it will the be LED wires - one red, one black. Theses will have a lot of slack (mine were wrapped around the wire bundle like 5 times) just discontect it from the sensor and unwind form the wiring bundle. Total time - took me about 1 min to find the wire unclip it and unwind it. I then took off my bezel and let it rest on the floor. The wire was long enough that it didnt even come out from behind the dash with the bezel on the floor.

Hope this helps - PM me if you still need help.

Horse said:
Yeah - look down below the stering colum under the dash. You should be able to find the shock sensor (IIRC a white plastic box) ziptied or taped to one of the larger wire bundles. Connected to it will the be LED wires - one red, one black. Theses will have a lot of slack (mine were wrapped around the wire bundle like 5 times) just discontect it from the sensor and unwind form the wiring bundle. Total time - took me about 1 min to find the wire unclip it and unwind it. I then took off my bezel and let it rest on the floor. The wire was long enough that it didnt even come out from behind the dash with the bezel on the floor.

Hope this helps - PM me if you still need help.

Awesome! Thank you!

does this also kill the beeping noise that goes off when u take key outta ignition and have lights still on? cause i need that lol i always 4get to turn the lights off when i'm in a hurry

nope, just the oi dick head you left your keys in the ignition, so don't lock them there beep

like we know you have central locking, but we will beep just to make you satisfied you didn't lock the keys in the car

TJM said:
does this also kill the beeping noise that goes off when u take key outta ignition and have lights still on? cause i need that lol i always 4get to turn the lights off when i'm in a hurry

i tried this for a while.. couldn't get the wire out... don't know if i can now lol. any advice?

Keep trying, it took me a little while. You have to wiggile it just right, but it's oh so worth it.

sweet and easy mod!!! took only 15 mins... can now clean the car while listening to some biggie with out that annoying beep... thx for the advice "ahh.. so rewarding" (smoke)

So I finally got to doing it the "right" way. Reversed the steering column approach (plugged connector back in) and pulled the white wire out of the dash connector.
No door chime (same as steering column approach), but still no courtesy light (again, same as steering column approch).
What could I have possibly done wrong?
Everything else seems to work fine.

OK, so I had time to check everything again..
All looked good. Correct white wire was pulled out and the plug in steering column was reconnected.
I pulled gauges out again and put white wire back in. Sure enough, now courtesy light works again and of course door chime is back.
Pulled white wire out again and door chime is gone, but COURTESTY LIGHT goes away as well!!!
Any idea what's going on??? Any other way to do this to kill ONLY door chime, but keep courtesy light??
Thanks!

Will this mod work on my 2001 Tribute? Also, any idea where the connector would be on my model. I hate that buzzer. Thanks.

Last edited:
Will this mod work in my 01 Tribute. I would not mind the buzzer so much but iit goes off when any door is open. Thanks.

Pat Callaghan
2001 Tribute DX

Natey said:
1st things 1st. Thanks to Pirana for the original info on this mod. (thumb)
This'll work on all 3rd Gen Proteges. ;) This little trick is easy, completely reversible, and IMO well worth the 20 minutes it takes to complete.

On with the show...
Here's the tools you'll need:
-A phillips head screwdriver(preferrably a short one)
-A small flat-head screwdriver
-The smallest alan wrench you have, or something similar to pry the wire out of the connector.
-A small rag to protect your steering column
-A piece of tape
fa4ab3ca[1].jpg

You'll need to take out your gauge cluster for this job. If you've installed DaveB's gauge rings, you know how easy this is. :)
Tilt your steering wheel all the way down to it's lowest setting. Unscrew the two phillips head screws at the top of the plastic trim surrounding the cluster.
fa4ab74a.jpg

Now pull out on the two corners of the bottom half of the plastic piece. Pull straight out toward the rear of the car, being careful of your steering column. It's easy to scratch!
fa4ab6ad[1].jpg

Once the surround is off, you'll need to unscrew three phillips head screws. If your gauges were a clock face, the screws would be positioned at twelve, five and seven o'clock(don't worry about the one on the bottom-middle).
fa4ab648[1].jpg

Pull out on the top of the gauge cluster. Be careful of the steering column!! If you haven't covered it with the rag, do it now. The lower tabs on the cluster are really jagged and the steering column is soft plastic...not a good combo.
fa4ab428[1].jpg

Now the wiring harness on the top of the cluster is exposed. Push in on the tab while pulling up on the connector to take off the plug farthest to your left.
fa4ab59d.jpg

Once you've got the connector out. It's time to unplug the white wire. Pirana's was white with a green stripe, and mine was white with grey spots/markings. Either way, it's the wire that's located top-center-right. It's the fifth wire from the top-left side of the connector & it's white.
fa4ab553[1].jpg

Use the small flat-head to pry the orange strip of plastic up a little to unlock the wires from the connector. Easy does it!
fa4ab9ca.jpg

OK. Here's the part that can get a little frustrating. Look into the end of the plug that the wires do NOT come out of. See the little plastic "tongue" that's holding the wire into place? You have to push down on that tongue while pulling out on the white wire on the other end of the connector. Stick the alan wrench(or any other really small tool, maybe a large sewing needle?) into the end of the connector that the wire does not come out of, and work on the wire with the other hand.
Patience, Young Jedi!(strike)
fa4ab50f[1].jpg

When you get the white wire out of the connector, pat yourself on the back. That was a b****.
fa4ab8f3[1].jpg

Now, all you need to do is put some tape around the metal part of the wire you disconnected to keep it from grounding out on anything, and put your gauges back together.
fa4ab7a2.jpg

You're done! The door chime is gone forever! Feel free to open your doors and listen to some music! (drinks)

If your plug looks any wayother than the pics, just disconnect the white wire that's located top-center-right. It's the fifth wire from the top-left side of the plug & it should be white with some kind of markings.

^Did you have to quote the whole how-to?^

Back