How-To: Folding rear seats in MS6 *NEW & IMPROVED*

batou079

The one currently being linked to everyone is out of date and missing the most basic things... pictures. With Tunersteve's help i had recontructed it with more details over @ 6crew. lol, yes this is a quote from a quote that i updated then quoted... (wiggle)
Enjoy!

http://www.6crew.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10265

The small price we MS6 owners paid for extra performance is emphasized by our back seats.
The majority of sedans, even other sport sedans, have back seats that can drop down as a standard.
But the extra bracing behind the back seat must have made the designers assume that drivers would be willing to give up that pass through space all-together!!

Well i sure as hell was not. Im an avid snowboarder and the space between the bracing is still plenty of room for 1 or 2 snowboards to pass through!
I used the instructions from the how-to on Mazdas247 here: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2297857&postcount=6

Newly inserted pictures are provided by tunersteve, thx!
All the following pics come from his album HERE.

This is a duplicate post of one I made over on *Sister Forum*. FYI in case you don't frequent that forum.

I have completed my rear-seat pass-through mod on my Mazdaspeed6. This mod involves two steps:
1) cut an opening in the rear seat/trunk liner
2) install rear seat remote-release levers

STEP 1 Obtain the necessary parts

I purchased my parts from mazdastuff.com. Cost: about $55 including shipping.

(2) GK2A-57-X50A ... LEVER, REMOTE
(2) GK2A-57-X24 ... BRACKET, LEVER- REMOTE
(1) GK2A-57-X6YA ... CABLE, LEFT
(1) GK2A-57-X6XA ... CABLE, RIGHT
(3) GB02-67-014 ... CLIP **
(4) metric nuts and washers that you can find at your local hardware store***

(Click HERE for a direct link to the complete package of all parts in the above list.)

** buy only 2 if you have NAVI.
*** sorry, I don't know the size. I used some I found in my random parts bin.
(NUT size needed is 6mm/1.0 thread.)

STEP 2 Remove all of the trunk lining, then flip down the rear seats.

Pop off the numerous clips securing the panels around the trunk by pulling up on their centers.

44023779.jpg

43920074.jpg

59851260.jpg

(He forgot to add, that to release the seats, when all the trunk liner has been removed, simply lay on your back and look up between the rear dash and the seats/back of trunk... you should see a metal bolt/pin behind each seat which you can simply push outward to release the seat latches. This pic shows the latches after the seats were released/opened.)
35353700.jpg

STEP 3 Make the trunk comfy.

You will need to lay down inside the trunk to install the cables, so place something comfy on the trunk floor.

STEP 4 Widen the holes at the ends of the cables

The pins on the rear seat latch are slightly bigger than the slotted opening on the cable, so I opened up the hole just a little so the cable would fit over the pins.

67364475.jpg

(Pic is a bit blurry, but in the foreground is a pentip pointing to the end of the cable with the slotted opening. It is in a vice to widen the far tip of the hole, using a rat tail file.)

STEP 5 Install the remote-lever cables

Lay down in the trunk on your back and attach the ends of the cables to the seat latches. Route the cables through the body as shown below. When the cables are routed and attached to the seat latches, clip the cables to the body so they don't pop off.

33570689.jpg

(Driver side seat latch & cable clip location.)

78220000.jpg

(Driver side cable route.)

56535122.jpg

(Driver side cable route & release lever location.)

71201805.jpg

(Passenger side seat latch & cable clip location.)

56331869.jpg

(Passenger side cable route.)

41804383.jpg

(Passenger side release lever location.)

STEP 6 Assemble the ends of the levers and secure them to the mounts with the nuts you bought.

Sorry no pics of bracket & release lever assembly.

Prep: First slide the black metal bracket over the cable, with the correct end facing toward the ball tip of the cable (bracket sits flush with the plastic release lever... Basically take the ball tip end of the cable, pull some slack out of the cable housing. Attach the ball tip inside the plastic release lever, and then snap the metal collar of the cable into the plastic end with a small divit. Any questions? PM me.

Assembly: If you already routed the cable, you can do the above in the trunk, if not, route the cable backwards from the release lever locations. Use the 6mm nuts to secure the bracket/lever. Locknuts are safest bet, washers arent rlly necessary but usable with normal bolt nuts.

44990878.jpg

(To give you an idea of what the release levers look like...)

14924384.jpg

(Factory mounts for release levers.)

STEP 7 Cut an opening in the trunk liner and modify it to flip up and down easily.

Reattach the trunk liner to the trunk with the speed-clips, then trace an opening on the back of the liner from the inside of the car. Carefully cut out the opening with a utility knife. I placed a block of wood beneath the liner to have a firm surface on which to cut. Fabricate some method to open/close the cut-out. Here's the results of my work, in which I used some lexan strips, double-sided tape, velcro, and a convenient pull-strap: (Pic n/a.)

(This step is purely up to preference, you can also free cut an opening when not in the trunk, or leave out the backing all-together.
97891764.jpg

STEP 8 Cut out notches in the left and right-side trunk liners to allow for the newly installed levers to fit.

(Roughly 1" wide by 3/4" tall square cut into the top right-angle portion of the side liners.)

STEP 9 Reinstall the trunk panels and admire your handiwork!

26609218.jpg

(Driver side release lever & liner.)

17541695.jpg

(Passenger side release lever & liner.)

Red text is obviously my added notes to the original info.
Enjoy!!

If you have any thing to add or questions feel free to ask me or tunersteve (volunteering you steve! haha)
cheers

errr, why dont i see this thread in the How-To section anymore? :(

EDIT: oh it needs a bump to stay listed? wtf...

Nice work, and thanks for putting that together! I definitely need to get around to doing this soon, but I have other much more pressing MS6 issues atm!! Thanks a lot for the part #'s too.. I think I came across an older one that had pics of the plastic bags, but you couldn't make them out, lol.

for sure man! i gotta say it was 100% worthwile, even tho 50% of the passthrough is blocked, i use it all the time!!

for sure man! i gotta say it was 100% worthwile, even tho 50% of the passthrough is blocked, i use it all the time!!

Cool! There have definitely been a few times when I wanted to use it and thought "I gotta do that." Oh, I know.. my stock exhaust is sitting at my old mechanic's shop since like 7 months ago. If I could drop that seat, I could probably wrap it in a blanket, and squeeze it through.

This is a really easy thing to do if you're looking for a way to carry longer items in the car. Took about 90 minutes taking my time and taking pictures. Also, it's not an expensive mod. $60 will get you all the parts you need to make it work.

AYE!!! definitly thx still goes to steve for pwning that extra time to take pics.
with this pics i updated the write-up AND did the install in about 45 minutes or less!

i use it all the time, since i dont have a roof rack, i can fit two snowboards through it.
i have fit 3 SETS of skiis, i have fit lumber, 6' tall packages, and will soon be used to transport my new (used) exhaust!! keke, can't wait to use my seat pass-through for THAT one. :D :D :D

this is f'n sweet! worse case, I just cut out the carpet and jump in and move the pin over whenever I really need it.

Yeah, thanks for the redo on this. I had the parts ordered many months ago and finally did this the other weekend. VERY nice for the occassional trip to Home Depot for long lengths of trim work or whatever.

Back