Guide How to Flush brake system Mazda CX-5 DIY

Not entirely true for two reasons.
1. The placement of the end of the tubing under the level of old brake fluid in the bottle does not allow the air to be sucked in and
2. secondly, there is a pressure difference (height difference) between the car's brake fluid reservoir and the wheel nipple so the tendency of the brake fluid is to flow down towards to the nipple, very slowly by gravity.
The only thing that I would do differently is to attach the end of the plastic pipe to the nipple before cracking the nipple itself open so that there is absolutely no chance of air getting in (even if you did not have gravity to help you). I have a triple safe method and that is the tube that is immersed in the plastic bottle has also a one way valve attached to it and it is under the brake fluid level (and of course the gravity is on your side too). What I have noticed in practice is that the moment you crack open the nipple, the brake fluid starts flowing down that pipe slowly. You could literally do gravity assisted brake fluid change without pumping the pedals but it would take a long time. Just my two cents.

One more thing, after bleeding the fluid, spray some WD 40 around the nipple before tightening it so that there is no rust, next time you go to open that nipple. Don't tighten it too hard or you will break it!

Noted , Cheers

Great write up!

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm a complete newbie and had some trouble when I tried this method on my 2018 cx-5. I was only able to pump the brakes twice with the reservoir and brake bleeder (rear passenger side) cracked open. On about the third time depressing, the brake pedal became firm and I couldn't really push it down - I think because the brake booster ran out of vacuum? I am unsure if I should still continue to try to push the brakes when it's like this or if this is even the expected behavior.

Did you encounter this issue? I tried looking online and I get mixed results on whether the engine should be on to allow the vacuum to get "replenished" in the brake booster so it can be pushed down.

Back