• Welcome to Mazdas247, the 24/7 Mazda Community and Resource. Learn about the benefits of becoming a Member here.
  • We're an Amazon Associate and eBay Partner. We earn from qualifying purchases.

How To: Ebay FMIC

Preferio

I break stuff.
Contributor
:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege 1660, 2004 Winning Blue RX8, 2005 Mazda6
Swapping out front bumper cover and didn't get pics when I'd I'd my FMIC. So, here it is.

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Finally finished my install and took pictures. Not the best routing (I had to annihilate my bumper) but the routing is pretty short.

Here's how I mounted it. I cut the bottom of the crash bar and left enough space to put a bolt head in with a welded plate in.

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Very jealous. I've never even attempted alloy, but I'm confident it would not look like that. lol
Thanks. My uncle TIG welds for a living so he was the perfect teacher. I started out with MIG a few years back, but aluminum definitely welds better with TIG. It's way cleaner for this sort of application too.

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
If I wanted to run a FMIC with bpv setup, where do I route the vaccuum hose that goes from bpv to coldpipe(?)?

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2
You would have to install a nipple on the cold pipe for the BPV recirc hose, and another on the intake tube before the turbo.

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Thank you for the reply!

New question: For the BOV/BPV dual setup; I want to do the following:
1) Place the bov after the turbo on the hot pipe. *I'll need a pipe with a nipple for the bov on the hot pipe.
2) Place the bpv on the cold pipe. *I'll need a pipe with a nipple for the bpv to go from intake to coldpipe.
3) Currently my MAF is on the CAI, I need to relocate this after the bpv on the cold pipe.
So, turbo ---> Hot pipe ---> BOV ----> intercooler ----> cold pipe ----> bpv ----> MAF ----> engine.

Some concerns I have are, does the vaccum line from the bpv to wastegate stay connected? Also, I believe that bov also has a vaccuum line that should go to wastegate actuator. How do I deal with that?

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2
Don't bother with a dual valve setup, it's a waste of time and money. Get a BOV and either recirc it or vent it to atmosphere. So turbo, hotpipe, IC, cold pipe, BOV, MAF, TB. People a decade ago used to install a BOV along with the stock BPV to try to prevent the turkey sound but it has been proven to be redundant and ineffective. I run an HKS BOV and it works fine. For the vac line it would be best to get a vacuum block for the brake booster line and run dedicated lines for the BOV and WGA, or you can just run it like stock with new lines.

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Alright awesome. Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. Glad to know there are still people with knowledge on this car!