• Got Stuff to Sell or Buy? You can post an ad for free in our Marketplace, just follow the Rules. Thanks!
  • Mazdas247 is an Amazon Associate and earns from qualifying purchases.

How To: Ebay FMIC

A.Strong

A.Strong
:
2003, MS Protege Vivid Yellow
Ok I don't really know anything about intercoolers, so I am asking for your opinion. I had a Hiboost FMIC on my car which lost to a pole. The only thing that broke was the core. My friend (mechanic) told me either i get a new one exact same model of I have to repipe my car for a different new intercooler. I'm wondering do I have to repipe if i get a new one with the same measurements around? Can i Just repipe a bit to get a new FMIC to fit?

Wagonbacker9

Jack of all asses
:
2004 'Hoe
As long as you get close you can use a coupler to make it... just take measurements... make sure the inlet/outlet orientation is the same.

Mazda Doode

Subarctic Temp. Driver
:
03.5 MSP Titanium
The pictures aren't showing up in the initial post, I haven't looked through all 69 pages but are there pictures in this bad boy showing what pipes you cut and where you cut them?

A.Strong

A.Strong
:
2003, MS Protege Vivid Yellow
Ok so I got a new FMIC but the problem is that i have to repipe it to make it fit. Now my question is will it matter it a go from a 2 1/2" pipe to 3" back to 2 1/2" into the IC? I have to get the car running today and as far as I know that only IC piping I can go and pick up is 3". So if a just use reducers to make it fit will it effect the performance or cause any harm? When I have more time and its nicer out I'm going to just repipe the whole thing but for right now i need to have the car running.

Wagonbacker9

Jack of all asses
:
2004 'Hoe
You may want to section the crash bar so that you can move the IC up about 2". This is some fairly involved fabrication though, as I would STRONGLY recommend welding it back together for the safety of you and anyone in your car.

:
02 protege5
ok i hate to bring up an old thread again but has anyone figured out which kit is the perfect one for our cars? i am about to do the fmic setup but need exact measurments for a fmic without cutting the crash bar
so which cx racing kit do i buy?

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2
Did you read the thread? lol
It's all in here. I used a 27"x7"x2.5" core I believe, 2.5" piping and couplers. You will need some extra couplers and slim fans make the job easier.

Wagonbacker9

Jack of all asses
:
2004 'Hoe
lol yea i read till bout page 8 but most people talked bout cutting and re welding the crash bars and using a 3.5 core but i dont wanna cut so thats y i posted.. so a 2.5 core will work then? will there be any performance loss compared to the 3.5?

i was looking at this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/170722188126?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but i see its only 5.5 high
I used a 7" tall core and didn't cut anything. core was 24" wide plus end tanks. You'll need at least one kits worth of bends, probably a couple more besides either couplers or pipe.

A 2.5" deep core is plenty for the boost these cars run.

Weekly Poll: Interested in the MX-30?

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • I want an Electric CX-3, 30, 5, 8 or 9

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I want an Electric Mazda2, 3, 6 or Miata

Votes: 1 5.6%