How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

Wow... I haven't been here for awhile... I just came back from Korea a few days ago. I guess it's great that there are more options out there now. ;)

I still have a couple set of headrests for '16 Touring in Black & a set for '13-15 GT in Sand... that's all I have left. I know you can get them cheaper now, but you'll still have to wait for a few weeks... therefore I'm letting them go for $180 shipped per set for '16 Touring in Black & $170 shipped for '13-15 GT in Sand. You'll get the headrests within 3 days or so (depending on your mailman I guess... LOL) after payment is sent. If anyone is interested, please PM me. ;)

I'll be traveling again (domestic this time) by end of next week, so let me know ASAP. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry, I'll only ship within USA.

Do you still have the 16 black touring available?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be in the market for the JDM black cloth touring 2016 headrests. Any suggestions on where to purchase other than Japan or Ebay ($265/pair)? Or does anyone have any used available?

Unless you can travel to Asia or Europe and get the JDM headrests from the Mazda dealer there, the best way to get them in the US is from JapanParts.com or Impex from Japan. The shipping would make big difference on price and JapanParts seem to offer more reliable service but more expensive on shipping.

I got the Leather Head Rest with Red Stitching on http://en.impex-jp.com/. Web site is pretty poor, and customer communication is not very great. But, for the pair it was $87 and $14 for shipping it was cheaper to get. Ordered on 5/11 received on 5/26.

Unless you can travel to Asia or Europe and get the JDM headrests from the Mazda dealer there, the best way to get them in the US is from JapanParts.com or Impex from Japan. The shipping would make big difference on price and JapanParts seem to offer more reliable service but more expensive on shipping.

I struck out over there for the cloth ones. Found a pair for $270. Ouch. Waiting to see if I can find them cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know if we can transfer these over to the 2017 model? Guess I can check once I get my '17 and see if they fit and if the color matches.

Anyone know if we can transfer these over to the 2017 model? Guess I can check once I get my '17 and see if they fit and if the color matches.
The shape looks different, which means there's a new part number for 2017 headrest. Only black leather could match on material and color, but others all have been changed and they won't match. I believe you can put the old one on, but you may see some fit issues with bigger gaps.

The shape looks different, which means there's a new part number for 2017 headrest. Only black leather could match on material and color, but others all have been changed and they won't match. I believe you can put the old one on, but you may see some fit issues with bigger gaps.

Yrwei, my '17 is black leather and they fit perfect. The only difference is the stitching color has changed slightly. It is more orange than red in the '17 GT.

Yrwei, my '17 is black leather and they fit perfect. The only difference is the stitching color has changed slightly. It is more orange than red in the '17 GT.
Thanks for the info. While 1st-gen CX-5 rear headrest should be able to fit into the holes on 2017 CX-5 with the posts, but the shapes between the two definitely are different.

2017 CX-5 JDM rear-seat headrests:
attachment.php

IMG_9898.PNG

2016 CX-5 JDM rear-seat headrests:
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520GT%252520-%252520Non-US%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

Would you mind to show us some comparison pictures? Do the US rear headrests look the same as JDM's for 2017?

Thanks for the info. While 1st-gen CX-5 rear headrest should be able to fit into the holes on 2017 CX-5 with the posts, but the shapes between the two definitely are different.

2017 CX-5 JDM rear-seat headrests:
attachment.php

View attachment 216242

2016 CX-5 JDM rear-seat headrests:
2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520GT%252520-%252520Non-US%252520Rear%252520Seat%252520Headrests.jpg

the 2017's look more comfortable with more padding and better resting angle.... if 2016 can fit 2017, should be vice versa then.... can get 2017 JDMs and fit into all previous years.....

They look better than the US versions, but still appear to block too much back window...

Well there's no way around that completely unless you remove them - and you can! - but the Jpn rear headrests ARE much better. I didn't think they would be, but they made a huge difference for me (coming from a Forester, which has exceptional visibility) and my kids are short enough that they're still effective.

Well there's no way around that completely unless you remove them - and you can! - but the Jpn rear headrests ARE much better. I didn't think they would be, but they made a huge difference for me (coming from a Forester, which has exceptional visibility) and my kids are short enough that they're still effective.

Are you referring to the 2017 Japanese headrests in your US 2016 or the 2016 Japanese headrests in your US 2016? I'm picking my 2016.5 up shortly and am strongly considering ordering Japanese headrests, trying to figure out whether to get the 2017 version (since it apparently fits in the 2016?) or the 2016 version. I don't often have backseat passengers but when I do I'd like them to be as comfortable as possible, the 2017 version looks like it has better cushioning, and while it's not as low profile as the Japanese 2016, it is still better than the 2016 US version.

Here is pick in a 2017 with older style non-US headrest on the left and factory US headrest on the right. Photos show no passenger mode and then passenger mode with the headrest lifted up. To me, adding the lower headrest does not have as much benefit in the 2017 as it did in previous models. Having them lower does not give any better blind spot vision like it did in previous years. I know it looks like it would help in these pictures, but they were taken from dead center of the car. From the driver's seat position, the blocked view is only the rear pillar, no glass. Now, if you are backing up and turning your head to look back, you definitely have better vision with the lower headrest. But the rearview camera is so good now that I don't think that will be needed as much. I am keeping the 2017 us spec headrests in mine for now and it has not bothered me yet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2050.JPG
    IMG_2050.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 1,060
  • IMG_2052.JPG
    IMG_2052.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,041
Are you referring to the 2017 Japanese headrests in your US 2016 or the 2016 Japanese headrests in your US 2016? I'm picking my 2016.5 up shortly and am strongly considering ordering Japanese headrests, trying to figure out whether to get the 2017 version (since it apparently fits in the 2016?) or the 2016 version. I don't often have backseat passengers but when I do I'd like them to be as comfortable as possible, the 2017 version looks like it has better cushioning, and while it's not as low profile as the Japanese 2016, it is still better than the 2016 US version.

Sorry, just saw this. I don't know anything about the 2017. I picked up a set of the 2016 Jpn headrests for my 2016.5.

Sorry, just saw this. I don't know anything about the 2017. I picked up a set of the 2016 Jpn headrests for my 2016.5.

No worries, I ended up ordering the 2016 japanese headrests too. They should be here sometime in the next month or three...

I have a pair of black JDM headrests (cloth) for sale and I'm in Canada. PM me for info!

Back