How Often Do You Change Your Oil?

Meh, I've used Purolator PL14612 for 50K+miles. It beats the current crappy OEM one Mazda just changed to.

To be honest, as long as everyone here changes their oil regularly, whether it be every 5k miles, or 7.5k miles or every 4-5 months, I don't think anyone will run into issues regardless of what brand of oil they use.

Meh, I've used Purolator PL14612 for 50K+miles. It beats the current crappy OEM one Mazda just changed to.

Would pay to see that match up. I heard the Purolator has a good left hook. The Mazda has a good counter right though.

The maintenance schedule where I live is 8k km or every 6 months, whichever comes first. They do tire rotation at that time as well. It's only like $80 at the dealership for 0w20 (Northern climates) Full Syn, all in; so that's probably where I'll take it tbh and just use whatever oil they use normally.

In my tuned Genesis Coupe I used to run 5w40 - 5w50 (depends what I was going to be doing, switched to the heavier oil for any race scenarios) Full Syn Rotella or Red Line to keep the turbo in check and make sure the motor was properly lubricated. Switched it out every 5k km maximum. But that was a tuned performance car with an increased redline (from 6500 stock to 7500) that only ever saw summer temperatures. The recommended from factory for our climate was 5w20 - 5w30 on stock tuning, all year round. For this car, I can't see it mattering nearly as much what kind of oil you use, as it isn't a high strung performance car. As long as it follows the Mazda recommended oil weight and specs, it really should be fine.

Last edited:
The maintenance schedule where I live is 8k km or every 6 months, whichever comes first. They do tire rotation at that time as well. It's only like $80 at the dealership for 0w20 (Northern climates) Full Syn, all in; so that's probably where I'll take it tbh and just use whatever oil they use normally.

In my tuned Genesis Coupe I used to run 5w40 - 5w50 (depends what I was going to be doing, switched to the heavier oil for any race scenarios) Full Syn Rotella or Red Line to keep the turbo in check and make sure the motor was properly lubricated. Switched it out every 5k km maximum. But that was a tuned performance car with an increased redline (from 6500 stock to 7500) that only ever saw summer temperatures. The recommended from factory for our climate was 5w20 - 5w30 on stock tuning, all year round. For this car, I can't see it mattering nearly as much what kind of oil you use, as it isn't a high strung performance car. As long as it follows the Mazda recommended oil weight and specs, it really should be fine.

shell rotella is a very good oil, but I don't recommend using it every single oil change because it has detergents for diesel engines which wear metals inside your engine a little too quickly from long periods of use. I would use rotella every second or third oil change to just keep the internals of the motor nice and clean.

redline is a very good oil. I also recommend looking into Motul, another great one. Liquimoly and AMSoil is also good quality but the best IMO are rotella, redline and motul.

oh, pennzoil platinum is also good. that is a shell oil.

I use 5w30 liqui moly in my mazda and it quieted down the engine clatter considerably. all you really hear now are the injectors ticking away.

really? is it better then the OEM?

I like the rough texture on the outside of the filter, easier to grip when changing. I have used Purolator One filters in the past on other cars and had good experience with them. I don't know if it is better than OEM, but the Purolator website claims that their filters meet or exceed OEM specs.

shell rotella is a very good oil, but I don't recommend using it every single oil change because it has detergents for diesel engines which wear metals inside your engine a little too quickly from long periods of use. I would use rotella every second or third oil change to just keep the internals of the motor nice and clean.

redline is a very good oil. I also recommend looking into Motul, another great one. Liquimoly and AMSoil is also good quality but the best IMO are rotella, redline and motul.

oh, pennzoil platinum is also good. that is a shell oil.

I use 5w30 liqui moly in my mazda and it quieted down the engine clatter considerably. all you really hear now are the injectors ticking away.

Yeah, a lot of the guys n' gals over in the Coupe forums used Redline in both the transmission and the motor. That's exactly what I did on my oil changes, switched between Rotella and Redline from time to time, hahaha.

When I start doing my own oil changes in this machine I'll probably use Pennzoil just because it's so much easier to get than the Redline and Rotella off the shelf, and unless I'm doing a turbo build or something on this one (which I really can't see happening, hahaha), I don't see too much need for super picky oil choices. :p

Motul is another one that seems hard to find up here; but it's a racing oil, so I imagine it's pretty good stuff.

Yeah, a lot of the guys n' gals over in the Coupe forums used Redline in both the transmission and the motor. That's exactly what I did on my oil changes, switched between Rotella and Redline from time to time, hahaha.

When I start doing my own oil changes in this machine I'll probably use Pennzoil just because it's so much easier to get than the Redline and Rotella off the shelf, and unless I'm doing a turbo build or something on this one (which I really can't see happening, hahaha), I don't see too much need for super picky oil choices. :p

Motul is another one that seems hard to find up here; but it's a racing oil, so I imagine it's pretty good stuff.

Motul is very good. I can find rotella pretty easily at Walmart or Canadian tire stuff like that.

And for sure, redline makes some of the best fluids for a transmission.

Every 12.5k with Amsoil and Amsoil EA filters. Never burns and drop and runs great. Did the first one at 9,000 but every 12.5-15k depending on when I get to it. Currently at 31k right now on my 16.5 Touring. Tow 3000 lbs with it at least 2x a week for my part-time mowing gig. Need to get the transmission flushed one of these days.

Every 12.5k with Amsoil and Amsoil EA filters. Never burns and drop and runs great. Did the first one at 9,000 but every 12.5-15k depending on when I get to it. Currently at 31k right now on my 16.5 Touring. Tow 3000 lbs with it at least 2x a week for my part-time mowing gig. Need to get the transmission flushed one of these days.

Transmission fluid is good until about 50k. Be sure to change the filter as well

Here in Oz:

0.png

Here in Sweden, the service interval (including oil change ) is at least once a year, or 20000km or oil condition based service if the service light comes on, whichever comes first. It is surprising that the recomendation vary so much for the same car.

Here in Sweden, the service interval (including oil change ) is at least once a year, or 20000km or oil condition based service if the service light comes on, whichever comes first. It is surprising that the recomendation vary so much for the same car.

I know. I think everyone should Just stick to 5-7.5k changes.

Transmission fluid is good until about 50k. Be sure to change the filter as well

I tow 2500-3000 lbs regularly though. SO I think I may get it done a bit sooner. I will most likely trade it for a truck in the next year as the Mazda is maxed out with my trailer and what not. Doesn't like the tongue weight!

Back