How many miles does your P5 have?

My 02 had 265k until I swapped the engine. Nothing wrong and still had reasonable compression, but I swapped a MSP block/turbo into it. Now her drive train has 143k.

252k and mine lovessssss oil

and coolant

still runs really well though!

Just a quick note on your coolant consumption: Mine was sipping coolant for a while, and I could never seem to find the location of the leak. I didn't have any coolant in the oil, or weird smoke out of the tail pipe, and the radiator was brand new.

So when I pulled the engine, the culprit was the two little quick-disconnect couplers going from the coolant in/out tubes into the heater core. Advanced Auto had to special order them, but they got Mazda OEM parts for me. The quick disconnect tool didn't work because there wasn't enough space, but I was able to get them off with some small flat-head screwdrivers. I also replaced the hose clamps. You can find them behind and underneath the intake manifold going into the firewall. It's super easy to get to them once you take out the crossbar and cruise control unit.

Just a quick note on your coolant consumption: Mine was sipping coolant for a while, and I could never seem to find the location of the leak. I didn't have any coolant in the oil, or weird smoke out of the tail pipe, and the radiator was brand new.

So when I pulled the engine, the culprit was the two little quick-disconnect couplers going from the coolant in/out tubes into the heater core. Advanced Auto had to special order them, but they got Mazda OEM parts for me. The quick disconnect tool didn't work because there wasn't enough space, but I was able to get them off with some small flat-head screwdrivers. I also replaced the hose clamps. You can find them behind and underneath the intake manifold going into the firewall. It's super easy to get to them once you take out the crossbar and cruise control unit.

I believe mine is from the upper radiator hose. Its a little wet sometimes but I just havent gotten around to installing a new hose yet

337k miles on my 2002 P5. No rust. did have to change the engine last year at 328Kmiles due to repeated overheating that we could not solve. It did not start burning oil until well past 268K miles (after daughter took it away to college). However, I changed the oil religiously at 3000 mile intervals (original owner here).

240,000 miles and still runs great. Yes, they do burn oil at that mileage, but it's been a loyal soldier. It may be available for anyone interested.
Charlie Bath.jpg

~218k miles. Used to lose oil every couple of weeks, but when I changed the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and re-sealed those corners on the valve cover, haven't had to refill. I don't know what # owner I am, but the previous owner was a young kid and did basic oil changes, otherwise didn't really take care of it.

I think my clutch safety switch, that lets it start, is going out. Sometimes I have to engage it a couple of times before it turns over. Other than that, I enjoy tinkering with it and have no plans in passing it on to anybody else.

Keep your ignition switch in mind too.
It works in conjunction with the safety switch and could be worn out.

Latest posts

Back