How low do you go

:
2021 Acura RDX
before refueling? Just curious since this is a smaller gas tank, however, everyone keeps telling me that Mazda recommends going no lower than 1/4 tank? I usually refuel at about half-tank or a little bit lower than that.

I usually fill up when the range falls under 100 miles or less. It tends to be around 1/4 a tank as well.

When that little gas light comes on. I don't recall anything in the manual about a quarter tank.

1/4 of a tank left. I used to do it at 3 bars before the light came on but somebody pointed out to me the owners manual note. Keeps the fuel pump submerged and cool, I guess you risk overheating it if it’s not bathed in the gasoline.

I always carry several bottles of "HEET" to add if I get too low. Once I used it. I started up and heard a funny noise from the back which was the fuel pump. Then the engine started to stumble. I put in a bottle of HEET and drove a couple of miles to get gas. Its better than running out.

Per the online Owner's Manual

"The fuel gauge shows approximately how much fuel is remaining in the tank when the ignition is switched ON. We recommend keeping the tank over 1/4 full. "

AZoMoiw.jpg

I believe like most recommendations.. this is a customer convenience / awareness recommendation; not an operational (damage to anything) warning.

I have a filling station close to my office that has excellent pricing, so I try to work my stops around being in the area. Typically, I'll not let it go past 50mi DTE.

Several times I have gone ~30 miles BEYOND 0mi DTE.

However, I would recommend following the 1/4 rule when fuel is available.

1/4 of a tank left. I used to do it at 3 bars before the light came on but somebody pointed out to me the owners manual note. Keeps the fuel pump submerged and cool, I guess you risk overheating it if it’s not bathed in the gasoline.

As CX5_Driver said, I think it's more about "We don't want you getting pissed at us when you let it get down to 10 miles left, then the readout adjusts and it says ZERO miles to empty, then you are going to be bitching at/or about us because you got all stressed out over our computer Distance To Empty readout. So just keep it a quarter to be safe."
lol

No, it's not good for a fuel pump to get to the bottom of the tank. 1/4th is not the bottom.

As CX5_Driver said, I think it's more about "We don't want you getting pissed at us when you let it get down to 10 miles left, then the readout adjusts and it says ZERO miles to empty, then you are going to be bitching at/or about us because you got all stressed out over our computer Distance To Empty readout. So just keep it a quarter to be safe."
lol

No, it's not good for a fuel pump to get to the bottom of the tank. 1/4th is not the bottom.

I’m just repeating what a lot of others posted. This was covered in the past and even somebody suggested Unobtanium might have caused his fuel delivery problem by frequently running the tank low. I wouldn’t go that far as a cause but you get the idea lol.

We're gonna have "that conversation" regarding how running low on gas harms the fuel pump. I believe the largest risk to the pump is having the thing run hot, because gasoline is a coolant for the pump. I had a car where you could hear the fuel pump chatter wildly when you went around the corner on a low tank, causing it to draw air. But that configuration was a one-of-a-kind set of circumstances.

I fill after it gets below 1/4 tank, but I'm in the country where gas stations are not rare, but they're not right around the corner, either. So it's a matter of convenience and keeping stress levels low. I also don't like the tank to get low because all that space increases the risk for condensation (or at least that's what I was told back in the day). The lowest I ever let it get required 13.0 gallons to fill back up. My average fills are 11.4 gallons.

My 2019 manual recommends not letting the tank get below the 1/4 mark. Ref. Pp. 4-18, 4-33, and 4-46, depending on which trim (Instrument Cluster) you have.

Last edited:
Just for grins, and to give me a frame of reference, I downloaded a 2018 CR-V manual.

Their stated gas tank capacity is 14 gallons.

Their advice on when to refuel is:
You should refuel when the reading approaches E. Running out of fuel can cause the engine to misfire, damaging the catalytic converter.

The actual amount of remaining fuel may differ from the fuel gauge reading.

As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't let your gas level go below 1/4 tank. This is to avoid the water/humidity, sludge and particle build up - originating in the gas-station fuel tanks - being stirred up and possibly getting into the engine. Even if there's a fuel filter in your car, that won't stop water, and the sludge could block the filter over time.

That's a rule of thumb. Doesn't mean I always remember to obey it :(

As a rule of thumb, you shouldn't let your gas level go below 1/4 tank. This is to avoid the water/humidity, sludge and particle build up - originating in the gas-station fuel tanks - being stirred up and possibly getting into the engine. Even if there's a fuel filter in your car, that won't stop water, and the sludge could block the filter over time.

That's a rule of thumb. Doesn't mean I always remember to obey it :(
I don't buy that. There is a filter, and gas should be clean. If there are a few particles in there, I'd just as soon they find their way to the filter gradually rather than accumulating in the fuel tank.

I usually fill between the light coming on and within 30 miles or so of he empty message. Sometimes I fill pre-preemptively when I know I'll be doing more than my daily commute and such and it is below 1/4 tank. Typically at least 300 miles between fills getting about 25mpg, rarely adding more than 14 gallons.

There's a gas station halfway in the maybe 10 mile work and home commute and one almost exactly 1 mile from my house. I haven't run out of gas in the last 28 years or so, and have never replaced a fuel filter or done any other fuel related work on any of my vehicles in that time. My last car has over 200K miles on it over almost 20 years treated similarly.

I don't buy that. There is a filter, and gas should be clean. If there are a few particles in there, I'd just as soon they find their way to the filter gradually rather than accumulating in the fuel tank.

Not only that, but it's not as though the gas is drawn from the top down, and getting low means that you're iunto the icky stuff. The outlet is in the bottom of the tank. Any "sludge" will always be right there, regardless of how much fuel is above it...but there isn't any sludge, unless it's an old rusted metal junkyard tank.

Back