How long should I expect a 2012 Mazda2 to last?

Hello! I have owned a 2012 Mazda2 since it was new. I love it, but recently sideswiped a guardrail and did a bit of damage along the passenger
side--front bumper to be replaced, other panels dented slightly, no lights or mirrors were touched, but enough to need all fixed and painted. The total cost is amount car is worth,
so my ins. said it is totaled. I have 2 options:
1) turn it in to ins. co. and get $ to buy another vehicle
2) keep it, in which it would be a salvage title and ins. co. would reimburse me for 1/2 ($2,500) of what it will cost to fix, including mechanical.

I am split between keeping it, because it has been a reliable car, and doesn't have so much of the computerized items. But, I know it is a 2012.
Also, mechanically I have been told this needs to be done:
*replace passenger front control arm
*replace passenger front strut
*replace passenger front stabilizer link
*alignment
My mechanic has assured me that once these things are done, there should be no issues going forward.

These are my questions:
I want to get an idea of long term high mileage reliability in our Mazda2's. Please only answer if you have over 100,000 miles. I have approx. 87,000 Mazda2.

1. What is your odometer reading?
2. What repairs have you done and how much did they cost? Don't include oil changes, batteries, bulbs, filter changes, tire changes, tune ups, or brake pad/rotor changes.
3. How has the interior held up? Any quality issues? Any loss of color in the buttons? Any loss of light in the gauges?
4. Any recurring issues?

Your input GREATLY appreciated! I have a conundrum--since it has been reliable, I would rather keep the vehicle but I know that it is a 2012.
Also, there are some decent incentives now. I try to keep cars 10 yrs. but don't think that will be as easy to do with the newer vehicles.

Maybe a bit 2 late.

I own a demio which is the Japan import for the 2.
Over 100000 kms.
Replaced disc brakes and padells, and it looks like my coil overs / shock absorbers might be in for a change, tires as well.

Had rust problem at the hinges, and it seems in general little spots under body.

Besides every 6000 kms maintenance not much has changed since i bought it.

My wife scratched/ dented the complete left side recently and to have it painted and fixed, would cost 500 euros.

If i were you for 2500 is not worth keeping, scrap it and get a new one, there much better built now and with better overall comfort and specs engine wise. where talking about a 8 years old car. it will last you another 8 but besides this 2500 for the next 8 you will spend at least the same amount in maintenance with age they all go. Not to mention insurance and taxes go up.

Maybe a bit 2 late.

I own a demio which is the Japan import for the 2.
Over 100000 kms.
Replaced disc brakes and padells, and it looks like my coil overs / shock absorbers might be in for a change, tires as well.

Had rust problem at the hinges, and it seems in general little spots under body.

Besides every 6000 kms maintenance not much has changed since i bought it.

My wife scratched/ dented the complete left side recently and to have it painted and fixed, would cost 500 euros.

If i were you for 2500 is not worth keeping, scrap it and get a new one, there much better built now and with better overall comfort and specs engine wise. where talking about a 8 years old car. it will last you another 8 but besides this 2500 for the next 8 you will spend at least the same amount in maintenance with age they all go. Not to mention insurance and taxes go up.
Thank you for your input. Yes, I came up with the same conclusion and purchased a new 2019 CX-3. I was hesitant because the reviews were not great but couldn't pass up the price. Instead of putting good money after bad, I thought I'd put it towards a new vehicle with more safety features. I am glad that it isn't as techie as some vehicles but they said that they will be more techie after 2019 because that is what people want. idk if that is true but I like simpler because less money to fix but I know that is how things are going. Thanks again for the confirmation:)

My Mazda 2 is a 2011. I have 146,000 miles. I have had no repair costs other than tires, spark plugs at 100,000 miles, and oil and filter changes and air and cabin filter changes. I have had one front end alignment. Still all original brakes and clutch. Mostly highway miles. Interior is without significant wear Except floor mats look used. Garaged, exterior looks good, no rust. It has been a great car. 38.5 mpg winter, 42.5 mpg summer.

good luck on your decision making.
lou

Latest posts

Back