How Hard Would It Be For Mazda To Do This?

Don't get me wrong, I do actually love your concept in the opening post.

I just think you're fooling yourself if you believe Mazda can do something like that and that cost not be passed down to you and me.

Uno is totally right.

If Mazda did all that I'd never buy one. It would be the next tesla. Overpriced, and all the froofroo would turn into excuses for crap vehicles because all the money would go to arse kissing instead of quality control. Just like a tesla.

Then why bring subsidies into the thread in the first instance if the thread was about Mazda creating a new business model that imports more loyal customers and strengthens its brand image across all models? Check with whomever brought up the $7,500 subsidy in the first place. Maybe they can explain to you why they did.

Tesla was brought up as an example of them trying to break the mold, not disimilar to what you are proposing.

But they can't seem to afford it, lost $619M last quarter, and the government is giving them subsidies that may soon end.

If they can't stand on their own two feet, then they are doing something wrong.

Last edited:
The days of plentiful 0bama subsidies to Tesla are over and the stock has been hit in recent days because of this and supply issues. Elon and his shell game tactics of boosting stock prices with “big announcements “ followed by sales of shares to boost Tesla have been known and its time they stop. Tesla should survive on its own and if they cannot then that is what the result should be.

The days of plentiful tax subsidies being over is a complete misnomer and more misinformation of a different kind entirely. The currently proposed budget of this administration will increase the deficit (yet again) by another $1.2 trillion. That's not hawkish and that's not fiscally responsible.

Whether Tesla survives or not is purely dependent on how well it executes its plain to introduce sustainable energy vehicles to market at a point where both price and quality intersect appropriately in the mind of the market. That is going to be a function of how fast Tesla can drive its technology to a nominal state of reliability, longevity and expectancy in the mind of its customers. I think bashing a company that is at least in the business of much needed change is a fools errand. Every company has financial challenges coupled to technical realities. In the case of a company trying to innovate those challenges are expected to be even greater. Oil producers and its sub-industries which are hitched by way of balance sheet, will never admit that such innovation is on the one hand is difficult to manage and on the other hand very much needed in a society calling itself evolved enough to know when change is needed.

The story of Tesla continues - but much like the Man Tesla was robbed of his due in his day, we keep seeing Oil Barons and their intellectual offspring attempt to rob Elon, of his due. Let the man make his challenge. If the People reject it - let them reject it based on the merits of the technology being introduced and the promises that it keeps or fails to keep to its customers. But, allow no failure merely because of jealousy, spite, envy, hate or even more dangerous, fear of change and advancement for the betterment of all society.

Mazda, will at some point become an all Electric Automobile Manufacturer. That day is coming. It won't happen within the next 50 years, but it is coming. Let's not pretend that there is no bigger picture here that excludes the internal combustion engine as the future powerplant of personal vehicles. It is a matter of time, technology and will. The "will" now is consumed in Political gamesmanship that does no good for the planet or the biological life that inhabits it.

For now, I just want to buy my Mazda from Mazda Direct and feel good (geepers - for once) about taking it to my Mazda OEM Maintenance and Repair Facility. Right now, I'm on edge because I don't know what's going to happen when I have to take my brand new Signature in for something at a dealer. I may have a professional experience, or I may have another nightmare. Either way, I should not have to dread the decision and that is the real point being missed here.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I do actually love your concept in the opening post.

I just think you're fooling yourself if you believe Mazda can do something like that and that cost not be passed down to you and me.

Uno is totally right.

They can more than afford it. I've shown you how above.

Tesla was brought up as an example of them trying to break the mold, not disimilar to what you are proposing.

But they can't seem to afford it, lost $619M last quarter, and the government is giving them subsidies that may soon end.

They're a startup company that entered an industry with century old legacy giants. They put a car on the road in the USA in a very short amount of time.

We still give the oil giants subsidies for exploration because it pays off down the road.

No. It is not "similar" in the conclusion you are drawing because in addition to trying to break the mold, Tesla is also breaking ground on brand new technology through innovation and that always costs a ton of cash. It is just the way the world works. That's why I admire the company so much. They put something on the street that looks fair good, runs fairly well and that does not need a fossil fuel base to run. The sell direct to customer and they handle repairs, maintenance and servicing. They proved the model can work, but they are also pushing against the innovation coefficient of drag which will always be a force to recon with.

There is absolutely nothing to dislike about what Tesla is trying to accomplish and everybody who cares about the environment and our planet should be on-board with their success - even if they have no intention whatsoever in buying a Tesla.

Doing the right thing is never out of Vogue. This is one of those Made In America stories that every American can get behind. But the false, misleading, misinformed, disinformation campaign that the entire fossil fuel industry has thrown at Elon and Tesla, has been pretty disappointing to watch unfold in the US.

They are delivering brand new technology to market and that costs a ton of money. It is that simple. They are not Mazda. Mazda, is not bringing radically new energy efficient cars to market - the difference is just that easy to understand. Ergo, Tesla, will have growing pains that extend out for years before they are fully stabilized in a changing paradigm dominated by oil interests and the politicians who are paid by them.

Quite frankly, I think Tesla is kicking butt and taking names. They've got a lot of oil interests scared enough to break stride with reality in their reporting about what Telsa is actually doing. So, they must be doing something right. I remember when it used to be a rare day when I saw a Tesla on the road. Now, I see them practically every single day. That's only going to improve with time as they advance the technology and become more reliable and practical.

Mine is not about Tesla. Mine is about Mazda and how I interact with that company. I don't think the current dealer model works very well and I would like to try a different kind of experience where I can buy direct from Mazda and then have my vehicle serviced direct at Mazda. They have the cash to do it. They need the vision to couple with the cash and this baby could be put to bed. I've already outlined where they can obtain funding for such a "strategic" move above in an earlier post I made.

Progress - is what I'm after here folks. Progress for Mazda owners equals fairness and quality in Mazda service after the sale.

Last edited:
I don't see Tesla kicking butt and taking names. Perhaps they will in the future, but right now they continue to over-promise and under-deliver. Like taking a half-million $1000 pre-orders for the Model 3, which would take them two years to fill even at their optimistic original product rate, and then only filling 222 orders in their first quarter of production. And they have lots of quality problems. Service experiences are mixed, there aren't enough service centers and you can read a lot of complaints about long waits and loaners being unavailable.

Who is willing to pay $1000 in advance for a new model that they've never seen in person, with an uncertain delivery date that could be 1-2 YEARS from now, to be serviced by a network of service centers that's too small to properly support the current small fleet let alone a half million more vehicles. A cultist, that's who. If and when Tesla are able to deliver on the hype, and produce a quality product, and look financially sustainable, I'll be sure to consider them. But for now, it looks to me like a cult. If I want an all-electric vehicle, it would be the Bolt. Not a Tesla.

Regarding Mazda, I'm doubtful that your model will be able to provide more service for less money. There aren't huge economies of scale to be realized by consolidating where service is performed into fewer shops. It will reduce some overhead costs e.g. rent, utilities, insurance. But those savings will be offset by the cost of maintaining fleets of tow trucks and other service vehicles, and fleets of loaners, transportation costs, and labor costs for those concierges driving back and forth to people's homes all day.

As for showrooms, most car buyers expect to be able to check out cars in person and test drive them. It's not like ordering a Blu-Ray player from Amazon. You still need sales staff for that, and finance, and management. If you could sell cars without these people, they wouldn't have jobs now. Franchising has its good points and bad points. One of the things the franchise model is good at is determining the right number of stores to service a certain area. If you think you can sell just as many (or more) cars with fewer showrooms than the current market has determined, I'm skeptical. More likely, if you reduce the number of showrooms, you'll reduce the number of sales opportunities and the brand will shrink.

Another assumption you're making is that you'll get better service if Mazda owns the shop. Mazda already determines a lot of the service experience by virtue of controlling warranty work, publishing manuals, providing tools, and training. They can also set standards through their dealer agreements. If they want to make door to door service the standard, they don't need to own all the dealerships to do that. They just need to convince their dealers that it's in their mutual interest to provide a more premium service experience.

The auto industry has gotten more efficient in the 21st century by moving away from vertical integration, because doing that opened up competition at more levels in the supply chain. Generally speaking, competition drives efficiency. Think of PC vs. Mac, or Android vs. iPhone. Apple's model is more vertically integrated, more like what you're proposing for Mazda, and it's more expensive as a result.

...wrote a book but it didn't sell...

If you need to write a dissertation to justify your point it fails on it's face. "Brevity is the soul of wit", Shakespeare.

Another point I would make is you might try arguing this from a capitalist perspective instead of progressive if you want to "sell" it which is precisely what you are trying to do. But of course that is a much harder threshold...

Read this, here's your dream in practice on a daily basis:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/11/us-cars-japan/544991/

Bottom line is North Americans won't pay the outrageous price for this pampering. In fact none of the women in my life, I just asked BTW, care for your vision of car ownership. I suspect it's a cultural thing and it doesn't make any sense in the NA market.

If you want that hand-holding you desire look elsewhere than pedestrian brands. Of course the price tag will be 3X+ your Mazda. But, hey, you get a Christmas card and a phone call on your birthday.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, I think Tesla is kicking butt and taking names.

I read an answer on Quora that was from a well traveled investor. The jist is - Tesla is cult. Either you are in it or not; if you are in it - and then if Musk lines up a 1000 kittens and slaughters them on the road you justify it by saying he is reducing climate change by reducing number of mouths to feed. Remember Jonestown?

The other day Musk yelled Shame at the press for grilling him. Now if you are a public listed company raising billions from investors, I hope you get grilled by Warren + Franken for 10 hours. You have a duty to answer to your investors and journalist.

In the ending the investor showed a screen shot his friend got which re adjusted model 3 delivery date and pushed it further back. His friend's response was - Whatever I will wait. Guess his friend is a part of the cult.

Like many have posted - If Faraday Future had unlimited backing and unlimited money, it will make it sooner or later. Cause no one is burning that much cash. Heck even pitiful Nissan's profit crosses a Billion USD whereas Tesla loses close to same amount every year.

Looks like Volvo is going try something a little different with their
2019 XC40 model. Nice looking car- what the CX-5 could be power wise. They will offer
both a traditional sale and a subscription model- like an iPhone.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...-like-you-buy-your-smartphone#image=100624318

Interesting concept. Could Mazda do something similar? Would it work?

After comparing the cost / benefit I have chosen to buy and own my phone (and I don't buy it from my cell phone service provider) I guess I would not be a perspective customer for the Volvo plan. I did like the trading for a different car (Bigger or smaller) for a few days a year a interesting idea until I remembered I have that now. I rent what I need.

Back