How Fast?

Around 100 mph, not by accident. Long drive home from Dealer, gotta vary the RPM on break-in you know. Felt very solid, since then have come close to that passing, etc. - very good pickup at high speed. I am very impressed the more I drive this car.

About 80. I'll take it higher on my next trip down to CA where I'll have lots of opportunities and a 10 hour drive to shorten.

I was heading from Colorado down into New Mexico - wide open straight-line roads certainly help. I had mine up to around 116-119 mph. Very solid ride. Crisp, responsive steering. Would do it again in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.

Based on that Car & Driver comparison between the 2.0L Mazda3 and the Focus, it looks like this new 3 may not have a computer-limited top speed. At least, their 3i GT was listed as having a drag-limited top speed of 131mph. Now I'm curious to know just how fast the 3s GT will go. 140mph, maybe? I won't be testing that guess any time soon.

I think that 143 mph top speed for the 2.5L Mazda3 is not calculated correctly. This site details how to calculate speed given power (or how much power it takes to reach a certain speed).

http://phors.locost7.info/phors06.htm

The answer is the cube root of ((131)^3 divided by (155/184)), which is 139mph (rounded to 3 significant digits). That matches what this site lists:

http://robrobinette.com/top_speed.htm

This is a bit of an oversimplification, but it should be pretty close.

Last edited:
I was on a cruise with the local Mazda club and had it up to 103mph. It felt very solid. If I get a nice long stretch of highway with lots of visibility, I'll see what more it can do.

80. Stupid new car and break-in procedures. I had my RX-8 up to like 120 within an hour of buying it. Don't think I ever took it over 100 since then though.

I don't want to mention how fast I've had my RX-8. In my defense, it was around 02:00 on an almost deserted expressway, and I felt like I had to see how fast it would go.

Back