How do I tell if my AC works in the winter?

Thanks! Went to the thread and there was a post about the lighting being 2 74s so I'll order the LEDs for that now...

Our AC runs whenever the fan is set to defrost/floor or mix.
The AC light doesn't come on.

I didn't want to waste power or gas running the compressor all winter long, so I did the mod to turn it off.

I turn my compressor on manually now by hitting the AC button if the windows are foggy.
Well dang. I spend 75% of the year (cold months) with my AC controls on defrost and fans on at least low because I like the indirect flow of air. I guess that means I have my AC on constantly. Definitely going to at least turn it to the normal recirculation setting, if not just do the mod.

Well dang. I spend 75% of the year (cold months) with my AC controls on defrost and fans on at least low because I like the indirect flow of air. I guess that means I have my AC on constantly. Definitely going to at least turn it to the normal recirculation setting, if not just do the mod.
Recirculation keeps the moisture/dampness inside the car.

What could help is to turn it to defrost, and fresh air, turn the fan off, and turn the heat up.

With a bit of forward speed in your car, air will flow through the vents from the outside.
There is almost no flow when you are set to recirculate, because it pulls the air from inside the cab and you need the fan to move the air.

If you crack a rear window a little bit, it can help with airflow by giving the input air an unrestricted way out.
(there is a one way vent in the trunk to allow pressurized air out of the car, but the flow is kind of restricted.)

Back