How do I tell if my AC works in the winter?

stivine6

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
Hey guys,

so i got my protege a little over a month ago and i couldn't really test out the AC when i bought the car because of the weather. But i'm just wondering how to tell if my AC works? I noticed that when i turn the AC on the green light comes on but i don't hear anything engaging in the engine bay and the lights inside the car dont go "dimmer" at anytime to show that the compressor just engaged.

I hear the fan from the rad come on when i turn up the fan speed control but other than that i don't hear anything else coming on. Is this normal?

- Thank you!

turn the car on, turn the AC on and watch to see if the compressor kicks on. with the AC off the compressor pulley will still move with the belt but once you see the center of the pulley spin along with the outer ribbed ( belt contact section) then you know at least your compressor kicked on.

Your interior would fog up nicely without a/c on the defogger setting in winter.

Your interior would fog up nicely without a/c on the defogger setting in winter.

You don't need A/C to de-fog... it just accelerates the process.

Anyway, I'm not sure about the protege... but on the Mazda 3, when in defrost mode... the A/C cycles on and off repeatedly, and the loading on the engine just sitting at idle is very obvious... I'm thinking yours doesn't work if you really can't hear it come on.

the A/C cycles on and off repeatedly, I'm thinking yours doesn't work if you really can't hear it come on.

Lots of manufacturers do this with the ac compressor. With it cycling all the time it keeps the compressor and clutch from locking up from lack of use. Although you will have no way of knowing if the ac blows cold until warm weather comes back. I bought my P5 in december and found out the ac needed charged in the spring. I just went to Walmart and bought a kit and did it myself.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll take a closer a look when I get a chance, dam weather is so cold.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, I won't know for sure till summer hits

Lots of manufacturers do this with the ac compressor. With it cycling all the time it keeps the compressor and clutch from locking up from lack of use. Although you will have no way of knowing if the ac blows cold until warm weather comes back. I bought my P5 in december and found out the ac needed charged in the spring. I just went to Walmart and bought a kit and did it myself.

Yeah, there are some seals in there that will dry out and crack if the system isn't used, so a lot of cars have it forced on with defrost...

Yeah, there are some seals in there that will dry out and crack if the system isn't used, so a lot of cars have it forced on with defrost...

It's not just defrost mode on our cars. Its defrost/floor mix and even the straight floor setting that engages the AC.

I disabled the automatic AC using this mod:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?55382-How-To-Disabling-Automatic-A-C-Defrost-modes

I didn't like the AC running in all those settings, winter or summer.

Now I just turn on the AC manually every week or so to keep things lubed up.

I keep it on defrost mode almost all winter long. If the windows are fogged up, I hit the AC button and it works way better.

PS,... if you've got the flickering AC light problem like most P5's, the compressor is still kicking on and off whenever its in defrost or floor setting.

The AC light doesn't come on during defrost mode.

I can now also recirculate air whenever I want, not when the HVAC unit tells me I can.

I just picked up a P5 and am in the same boat as the OP. I tried the check described below and the center of the compressor pulley never moved with the AC on or off. I'm guessing this means the compressor is toast?

turn the car on, turn the AC on and watch to see if the compressor kicks on. with the AC off the compressor pulley will still move with the belt but once you see the center of the pulley spin along with the outer ribbed ( belt contact section) then you know at least your compressor kicked on.

Same here just checked my car looks like compressor might be toast. Don't see any movement from the inside ribs when I hit the ac on. Anyone know how much labour would be to swap in a new compressor?

it maybe low on freon, if its too low or too high charge it has a safety switch that wont let the compressor engage i would take it by an a/c shop and have them check the charge on the freon, as its very easy to screw it up with those doi yourself kits. if its right on point or not off too much to casuse switch to keep compressor from running, then yes you need a new one.

Hmm I should get that checked too.

I'm actually not too sure if it's my compressor. When the ac is on the pulley on the compressor turns on but not that center portion with the 3 clutch tabs, is that normal?

Let's say if the froen or compressor isn't working, would the green AC light still come on? Cause mine turns on when I press it. I just don't notice any sounds or anything actually engaging

Hey guys,

so i was able to get a video of everything and i got a better look this time. Looks like my compressor works fine but can you guys double check for me? You'll see the compressor come on around 33 second mark

Last edited:
Hey guys,

so i was able to get a video of everything and i got a better look this time. Looks like my compressor works fine but can you guys double check for me? You'll see the compressor come on around 33 second mark

It works as normal.

Our AC runs whenever the fan is set to defrost/floor or mix.
The AC light doesn't come on.

I didn't want to waste power or gas running the compressor all winter long, so I did the mod to turn it off.

I turn my compressor on manually now by hitting the AC button if the windows are foggy.

The climate control panel trace cut? Haven't done that on mine yet but may combine doing that and doing LED lighting in there whenever I get to it.

the climate control panel trace cut?

Yeah, that's the one.
It worked for me.
I turn on the AC every once in a while to stir the oil.

I forgot that it also allows me to recirculate my air whenever I want to as well.

Last edited:
Back