How’s your 2018+ Turbo been?

V
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature
I’m close to purchasing our second Mazda-this time a 6. We already have a 2019 CX5 Signature and it’s been trouble free.

V
2018 Mazda6 Signature
I've had a lot of issues with my 2018 Mazda6 Signature.
I purchased the car new back in May of 2018.

Specifically, regarding the engine, I've discovered an oil leak around the Oil Control Valve on top of the valve cover (which seems to common on the NA 2.5L as well). Also, engine has been running very rough and is now saying there is a misfire in cylinder 2. My dealership is working with Mazda Canada since December and the car is still not repaired. The issue seems to be complicated as it's still not fixed and it's been to the dealer 3 or 4 times since the initial dealer visit for the CEL in December. I am currently in a rental as the car is idling so low and rough i feel it's at risk of doing damage to itself.

I was intially told they may have to replace the engine. The latest is they are thinking it needs to be decarb'd.

My 6 has also had a bunch of non-engine related issues as well:

- Suspension knock noise from left strut area when turning right with speed and hitting bumps.
Confirmed in others' cars as well (Mazda6club.com). I've confirmed this myself in 3 other Mazda6's.

- Signature seat back trim issue (breaks easily and is a huge pain the butt to replace)

- Under belly sound insulation folding when driving through slush on the highway. Most of the panels beneath my car have been removed because of this issue

- Annoying steering wheel squeak noise

V
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature
Wow, that’s a bummer. Sorry to hear about all your issues. I’m less inclined to get a 2018 6 signature now. Hopefully they figured out a few of the bugs for 2019.

our 2019 CX5 signature has pretty much been without issues except an occasional crash of the MazdaConnect system. Latest software update seems to have done the trick for that though (second update since we bought the car / Dec 2018.)

The bottom undercladding issue is really concerning to me. I wonder if they changed this poor design for the 2019 models? Do you know if there are TSBs for any of your issues besides the seat trim?

V
2018 Mazda6 Signature
Wow, that’s a bummer. Sorry to hear about all your issues. I’m less inclined to get a 2018 6 signature now. Hopefully they figured out a few of the bugs for 2019.

our 2019 CX5 signature has pretty much been without issues except an occasional crash of the MazdaConnect system. Latest software update seems to have done the trick for that though (second update since we bought the car / Dec 2018.)

The bottom undercladding issue is really concerning to me. I wonder if they changed this poor design for the 2019 models? Do you know if there are TSBs for any of your issues besides the seat trim?
Thanks for that. I’m not aware of any TSBs. I do have a quick and easy recommended fix for the car’s under body sound insulation issue. I think glueing the very front of the panel to the bottom of the car would more than likely keep it from getting weighed down by snow/slush and bending down. Mazda didn’t fasten the front of the panels to the car’s floor but they fasten them very well everywhere else. If I was to get another 6, I would have this done before I left the dealer’s lot. It’s an incredibly poor design. My dealer has seen the same thing happen on a mazda3 and a cx5, so it’s not isolated to the 6.

I found I was one of the first to experience most of these issues since I put so many miles on the car and I was an early adopter. To Mazda’s credit, there only seemed to be a few others that experienced similar issues with theirs but you can check out the threads to see what they are saying. It seems most people didn’t have nearly as many issues as I’m dealing with on mine.

I’ve looked at what my next vehicle will be and a 2020 Mazda 6 is more than likely in the cards for me as they drive so well and have such gorgeous interiors. I am hoping some of these issues have been fixed on the newer models but it’s doubtful.

To be honest, I wish I had stuck with the Mazda3 (I had a ‘16 Mazda3 sedan before jumping into the 6). I am now spoiled with the features the 6 offers over the 3 (larger interior, turbo engine, ventilated seats, rear vents, etc...) and it’s tough to go back. I had a ‘20 3 hatch out for a good test drive and it was a nice car but it’s missing a few things I really want.
Best of luck in your research for the new ride!

Latest posts