How’s your 2018+ Turbo been?

:
2019 Mazda6 & CX-5
I’m close to purchasing our second Mazda-this time a 6. We already have a 2019 CX5 Signature and it’s been trouble free.

I've had a lot of issues with my 2018 Mazda6 Signature.
I purchased the car new back in May of 2018.

Specifically, regarding the engine, I've discovered an oil leak around the Oil Control Valve on top of the valve cover (which seems to common on the NA 2.5L as well). Also, engine has been running very rough and is now saying there is a misfire in cylinder 2. My dealership is working with Mazda Canada since December and the car is still not repaired. The issue seems to be complicated as it's still not fixed and it's been to the dealer 3 or 4 times since the initial dealer visit for the CEL in December. I am currently in a rental as the car is idling so low and rough i feel it's at risk of doing damage to itself.

I was intially told they may have to replace the engine. The latest is they are thinking it needs to be decarb'd.

My 6 has also had a bunch of non-engine related issues as well:

- Suspension knock noise from left strut area when turning right with speed and hitting bumps.
Confirmed in others' cars as well (Mazda6club.com). I've confirmed this myself in 3 other Mazda6's.

- Signature seat back trim issue (breaks easily and is a huge pain the butt to replace)

- Under belly sound insulation folding when driving through slush on the highway. Most of the panels beneath my car have been removed because of this issue

- Annoying steering wheel squeak noise

Wow, that’s a bummer. Sorry to hear about all your issues. I’m less inclined to get a 2018 6 signature now. Hopefully they figured out a few of the bugs for 2019.

our 2019 CX5 signature has pretty much been without issues except an occasional crash of the MazdaConnect system. Latest software update seems to have done the trick for that though (second update since we bought the car / Dec 2018.)

The bottom undercladding issue is really concerning to me. I wonder if they changed this poor design for the 2019 models? Do you know if there are TSBs for any of your issues besides the seat trim?

Wow, that’s a bummer. Sorry to hear about all your issues. I’m less inclined to get a 2018 6 signature now. Hopefully they figured out a few of the bugs for 2019.

our 2019 CX5 signature has pretty much been without issues except an occasional crash of the MazdaConnect system. Latest software update seems to have done the trick for that though (second update since we bought the car / Dec 2018.)

The bottom undercladding issue is really concerning to me. I wonder if they changed this poor design for the 2019 models? Do you know if there are TSBs for any of your issues besides the seat trim?
Thanks for that. I’m not aware of any TSBs. I do have a quick and easy recommended fix for the car’s under body sound insulation issue. I think glueing the very front of the panel to the bottom of the car would more than likely keep it from getting weighed down by snow/slush and bending down. Mazda didn’t fasten the front of the panels to the car’s floor but they fasten them very well everywhere else. If I was to get another 6, I would have this done before I left the dealer’s lot. It’s an incredibly poor design. My dealer has seen the same thing happen on a mazda3 and a cx5, so it’s not isolated to the 6.

I found I was one of the first to experience most of these issues since I put so many miles on the car and I was an early adopter. To Mazda’s credit, there only seemed to be a few others that experienced similar issues with theirs but you can check out the threads to see what they are saying. It seems most people didn’t have nearly as many issues as I’m dealing with on mine.

I’ve looked at what my next vehicle will be and a 2020 Mazda 6 is more than likely in the cards for me as they drive so well and have such gorgeous interiors. I am hoping some of these issues have been fixed on the newer models but it’s doubtful.

To be honest, I wish I had stuck with the Mazda3 (I had a ‘16 Mazda3 sedan before jumping into the 6). I am now spoiled with the features the 6 offers over the 3 (larger interior, turbo engine, ventilated seats, rear vents, etc...) and it’s tough to go back. I had a ‘20 3 hatch out for a good test drive and it was a nice car but it’s missing a few things I really want.
Best of luck in your research for the new ride!

If I had not had the Ford Extended Warranty, I would have had to pay for a rental car for the 6 weeks my car was out of service for the engine, even though the failure was well within the 5yr/60k mile warranty. Would you recommend getting an extended warranty with a New 6? A used 6?

I own a 2018 CX-5 Signature - bought an extended warranty. I also own a 2019 Mazda6 Signature-decided not to buy it on this car. Both vehicles have had no major issues to-date.

Last edited:
I’m close to purchasing our second Mazda-this time a 6. We already have a 2019 CX5 Signature and it’s been trouble free.

I’ve had my 6 in GS or Sport trim in the U.S. version since March this year (bought brand new on clearance and got $7K below MSRP at the time w/c was a great deal). I already have the 2.5T engine in my CX9 so decided was fine with the NA 2.5L engine in the 6 as it’s also just a daily driver for me. I had a 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid for 3.5yrs and that was a reliable car but it was a company car so returned it afterwards.

Was originally considering the 2019 or 2020 3 in the AWD mid trim version but heard the newest generation still had some minor bugs due to 1st year production and not a lot of deals being offered and can live with just a FWD car that’s why I went with the 6. No regrets as it’s larger, more room & cargo, feels solid and has a mature stance, still a nice elegant design both inside & out and quality of materials still on par with the newest 3. Just wished that the base model here in Cda had all the latest safety features as standard (not like in the U.S.) and I didn’t want to move up to the GS-L trim w/c was $4K more! Best of all, has ind rear suspension vs the 3’s torsion rears and the $7K below MSRP deal came out a lot cheaper than the 3. I honestly didn’t even look at the Accord and Camry as they’re just more expensive, not many deals, higher int rates and way too common on the roads you see every 5mins...as for the 6? Well you don’t see them on the roads very often!

I've had a lot of issues with my 2018 Mazda6 Signature.
I purchased the car new back in May of 2018.

Specifically, regarding the engine, I've discovered an oil leak around the Oil Control Valve on top of the valve cover (which seems to common on the NA 2.5L as well). Also, engine has been running very rough and is now saying there is a misfire in cylinder 2. My dealership is working with Mazda Canada since December and the car is still not repaired. The issue seems to be complicated as it's still not fixed and it's been to the dealer 3 or 4 times since the initial dealer visit for the CEL in December. I am currently in a rental as the car is idling so low and rough i feel it's at risk of doing damage to itself.

I was intially told they may have to replace the engine. The latest is they are thinking it needs to be decarb'd.

My 6 has also had a bunch of non-engine related issues as well:

- Suspension knock noise from left strut area when turning right with speed and hitting bumps.
Confirmed in others' cars as well (Mazda6club.com). I've confirmed this myself in 3 other Mazda6's.

- Signature seat back trim issue (breaks easily and is a huge pain the butt to replace)

- Under belly sound insulation folding when driving through slush on the highway. Most of the panels beneath my car have been removed because of this issue

- Annoying steering wheel squeak noise

Weird. My 2018 hasn't had a single issue. Feels bulletproof.

lol i had my engine replaced at 24k, another member had their engine replaced as well at around 100k

What year is your car? Turbo or non-turbo?

I’m assuming the person with the 100K mile motor was a N/A motor as I highly doubt there are many 2.5L Turbo motors with 100K miles.

What year is your car? Turbo or non-turbo?

I’m assuming the person with the 100K mile motor was a N/A motor as I highly doubt there are many 2.5L Turbo motors with 100K miles.
My engine was replaced at 103k kilometres. And it was a 2018 Mazda6 2.5T engine.

What happened to your engine specifically GTEyes?
It had a dead cylinder. In other words, compression was down considerably in one cylinder. My dealer had a similar situation occur with a cx9 with the same engine. This is the same thing that @FrozenApple found in his CX5 as well. So that’s 3 vehicles that I’m aware of that all suffered from dead cylinders and needed a full engine replacement.

I could feel the car was running rough and was idling at very low RPW when I was sitting in traffic. I also started having hard starts. Eventually I had a misfire MIL. Also, car became unusually loud when cold started and even when idling when warm...I suspect this was because fo the leaking valve as @FrozenApple mentioned.

If you check out the thread, I posted some videos as well. Basically you could feel the misfiring when you put the e-brake on and put the car in gear (this created the same situation as what occurred when sitting in traffic). Having that bit of load on the engine would create the situation and I was able to grab the videos.

Unfortunately, after the engine was replaced there were numerous other issues (PCM failure (car died on the highway in the middle of nowhere), after that was fixed there was a major fuel leak at an injector (leaking gas all over the block) and finally a yet-to-be-100%-diagnosed hesitation issue (car quit when they fixed the fuel leak and took it for a final drive before giving it back to me) so I HAD to trade it. They still are trying to fix the car and I traded about a month ago.

If you have some time, check out all the threads I started on the Mazda 6 forum regarding the problems I had with my 2018..there were plenty. Often others had the same issues but my car seemed to have ALL of the issues.

Could give you some clues of what to look out for when you're shopping.

Thanks for sharing. I already bought a 2019 6 Signature back in February. It’s been fantastic so far. Same with our 2019 CX-5 Signature. The CX-5 has 21,000 miles; the 6 only 9,000. Hopefully we don’t experience any of the issues you guys experienced.

Latest posts

Back