2017~2024 Hood Lift Struts Installed

I have a brand new pair that I can't use. Supposed to fit my 2014 but they really are for newer CX-5s. They didn't come with instructions and they might be "frozen" as well (at least I could not compress them by hand). If someone wants them you can have them for whatever it costs to send them to you.

HoodStruts.jpg

I think Red Baron detailed his ordeal in a prior post.

Yeah, post #27 that I'd already referenced :)

But I wouldn't call it an "ordeal". Just a quick tap with a heavy hammer fixed it - I didn't want to risk bending the hood by putting too much pressure on it.

Yeah, post #27 that I'd already referenced :)

But I wouldn't call it an "ordeal". Just a quick tap with a heavy hammer fixed it - I didn't want to risk bending the hood by putting too much pressure on it.

$25 + Elbow Grease = Still A Good Deal

I don't know about earlier years, but what makes this mod so darn good is that the hood is literally the heaviest I've ever had so the struts are more than just 'nice', they're piratically needed. - not sure why they made it steel (or other magnetic material) as my miata and other cars are aluminum or some other non-magnetic material

Sometimes these things arrive "stuck." Install them and use the leverage of the hood to GENTLY compress/extend them. They may be so tight you will need to disconnect one (it's easy to do...one end clips on & off to its mount) and work them individually. I think Red Baron detailed his ordeal in a prior post.
great info..i am going put the trigger....thks big time A. Deer!

not sure why they made it steel (or other magnetic material) as my miata and other cars are aluminum or some other non-magnetic material

So my magnetic flashlight will stick to it? Sweet!

I don't know about earlier years, but what makes this mod so darn good is that the hood is literally the heaviest I've ever had so the struts are more than just 'nice', they're piratically needed. - not sure why they made it steel (or other magnetic material) as my miata and other cars are aluminum or some other non-magnetic material

Take the weight of the CX-5 hood then add roughly 25%. That's the weight of the Mazda6 hood. Feels like I'm entering a power lift competition at each oil change. That said I notice the install is on the towers. Would this interfere with an aftermarket tower brace?

Looks awesome but, since I have already spent quite a bit on "extras" I think the wife might blow a head gasket if I bought those now.

I will sneak them in next month. ;)

Take the weight of the CX-5 hood then add roughly 25%. That's the weight of the Mazda6 hood. Feels like I'm entering a power lift competition at each oil change. That said I notice the install is on the towers. Would this interfere with an aftermarket tower brace?
Most versions I've seen do not use the towers to install

I just bought the struts you guys suggested. Does it lift the hood higher than the support bar? Can I still put the support bar in its position when it’s open or is it too high? How is closing the hood? Does it take a lot of effort to push it closed now? Thanks for your answers in advance. Just bought my 17 Touring last week. First Mazda. Absolutely love it.

See what happens if you take a car with a Fumoto valve in for an oil change 😂
I've got both, but installed the Fumoto on my 2nd change at home. Only ever let the dealer do the first, complimentary, oil change.

I just bought the struts you guys suggested. Does it lift the hood higher than the support bar? Can I still put the support bar in its position when it’s open or is it too high? How is closing the hood? Does it take a lot of effort to push it closed now? Thanks for your answers in advance. Just bought my 17 Touring last week. First Mazda. Absolutely love it.
Mine were listed on Amazon as "High Flying" brand, but I think they're all pretty much the same. Probably coming out of the same factory.

The hydraulic struts lift the hood just a little shy of the height with the stock support bar. So, a little extra pressure on the hood allows you to slip the support into place securely.

The struts feel secure enough by themselves, but it's reassuring to be able to slip the support into place if/when you're going to spend much more time under the hood than just checking the oil or spraying off the engine bay.

The struts I used on my Gen 1 lift the hood higher than the stock lift bar. They are still going strong 6 years later.

Yup, my 2020 lift it higher than the lift rod also, and by a decent margin. With the weight of the steel hood (or whatever metallic/magnetic material it is) this is really more than just a nicety, it's real nice

Installed my hood struts. Super easy and they are perfect. I too bought the “high flying” ones from amazon like Bird - Dog above. They lifted my hood enough so I could put the support bar in it’s spot for safety if need. They seem super strong. Very happy with the mod. Thanks for your answers.

Installed my hood struts. Super easy and they are perfect. I too bought the “high flying” ones from amazon like Bird - Dog above. They lifted my hood enough so I could put the support bar in it’s spot for safety if need. They seem super strong. Very happy with the mod. Thanks for your answers.
@Dysphasic Can you post a pic of the orientation of the bracket that goes on the hood? Youtube videos have them both ways (in front of the bolt vs. behind the bolt) and Im not sure which is correct.

Back