High Mileage CX-5s - report in

:
2016 Mazda, CX-5 GT
2016 GT now at 118,000 miles. ZERO issues ever. I do oil changes every 5K, changed transmission fluid drain and fill only at 45K, 75K and then 110K. At the 110K mark I changed the transmission filter too. Battery was replaced last summer at around 114K miles. On my second set of brakes. Just did a drain and refill with antifreeze a couple weeks ago.

It has been an extremely reliable car.

Kaps

Contributor
:
CX-5 Touring 2016.5
^^ Boland, got a Q on Transmission Filter - for this you had to drop the pan? And do you feel it was worth it. How did your Tx fluid look at 45 / 75 and 110? This is kind of different interval then what most owners do here which is 5000 miles apart.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
2016 GT now at 118,000 miles. ZERO issues ever. I do oil changes every 5K, changed transmission fluid drain and fill only at 45K, 75K and then 110K. At the 110K mark I changed the transmission filter too. Battery was replaced last summer at around 114K miles. On my second set of brakes. Just did a drain and refill with antifreeze a couple weeks ago.

It has been an extremely reliable car.
Zero issues? So you didn’t do 3 safety recalls? And your rear brakes have no dragging issue from EPB? And I believe your 2016 CX-5 GT doesn’t have problematic optional LED headlights.

:
2016 Mazda, CX-5 GT
No dragging issues with rear brakes. So far the daytime lights have never had any issues either. Recalls were done a while ago. EVERY car has a recall.

:
2016 Mazda, CX-5 GT
^^ Boland, got a Q on Transmission Filter - for this you had to drop the pan? And do you feel it was worth it. How did your Tx fluid look at 45 / 75 and 110? This is kind of different interval then what most owners do here which is 5000 miles apart.
To replace the transmission filter yes you have to drop the pan. I think I ordered the filter from Rock Auto and it came with a new gasket. Just make sure you scrape away all the old RTV first. The fluid was actually fairly dark. I don't know if this really indicates anything or not. When I did drop the pan on the last refill there were some metal flakes in the pan. However, no issues with the tranny. So far I've only used genuine Mazda fluid too.

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Say what? No one changes transmission fluid every 5,000 miles, or at least they shouldn't. That's a massive waste of money. A gearbox doesn't see all the combustion vapors and blow-by gasses that engine oil is exposed to, nor is it subjected to near as much compressive and shearing forces. Therefore the fluid generally lasts 30K to 50K miles easily in "normal" gearboxes.

Zero issues? So you didn’t do 3 safety recalls? And your rear brakes have no dragging issue from EPB? And I believe your 2016 CX-5 GT doesn’t have problematic optional LED headlights.
Lol. Not every vehicle is impacted by all “known issues” for a model.

I have a 16,5 with 45k. No recalls. No brake issues since pads were replaced. No DRL issues.

:
2014 Ford Explorer Sport, 2009 CX9(Wife's)
Say what? No one changes transmission fluid every 5,000 miles, or at least they shouldn't. That's a massive waste of money. A gearbox doesn't see all the combustion vapors and blow-by gasses that engine oil is exposed to, nor is it subjected to near as much compressive and shearing forces. Therefore the fluid generally lasts 30K to 50K miles easily in "normal" gearboxes.
I think what Kaps was asking was about doing a couple drain/fills in short window of mileage to get as much of the old fluid out. Essentially diluting it enough where it's virtually all fresh fluid.

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Yeah but I thought the general recommendation was to do those drain and refills maybe a couple weeks apart, not 5,000 miles apart.

New around here, but I thought I'd add some information and ask a question.

2013 CX-5 Sport Manual FWD - checking in at 120,000 miles. Bought at 35,000 used with no issues.

Work has included basic scheduled maintenance: replacement of drive belts, coolant flush/replace, spark plug replacement (old spark plugs were still okay, I just opted to replace as its an easy job), and new tires of course after all that driving. Ball joints also needed replaced so I opted to just install completely new control arms with new bushings. Struts still seem to be in decent shape but the bellows are cracked.

I haven't had any transmission issues, but because this is a manual transmission I can't help but think that the transmission fluid may need to be replaced. All that I read online is in regards to ATF drain and replacements.

Does anyone here have any input in regards to the manual transmission fluid drain and replace? The manual I have gives the lifetime fluid line, but just thought I'd see if anyone out there is in a similar situation.

Last edited:
:
CX5 GT +pp 2018
Manual transmission oil change is easy and drains all out. Probably good idea to change it now. Plus its less quantity and cheaper usually vs automatic. Just find the right viscosity for your car and go with some nice brand or mazda oem if they sell it. 120k miles is near 200k kms.

Manual transmission oil change is easy and drains all out. Probably good idea to change it now. Plus its less quantity and cheaper usually vs automatic. Just find the right viscosity for your car and go with some nice brand or mazda oem if they sell it. 120k miles is near 200k kms.
Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know what type of fluid to use? I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

:
13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose
New around here, but I thought I'd add some information and ask a question.

2013 CX-5 Sport Manual FWD - checking in at 120,000 miles. Bought at 35,000 used with no issues.
Folks don't believe me........that 2.0 manual setup is a peppy. It likes to rev. :)

Manual tranny is easier/cheaper to fix if need be too.

Folks don't believe me........that 2.0 manual setup is a peppy. It likes to rev. :)

Manual tranny is easier/cheaper to fix if need be too.
Indeed it is. I wouldn't want to to drive an automatic version and have to wait on it to shift for me, but luckily I don't need to worry about that when I drop it down two gears and get going right away. Personally, I really enjoy driving it.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Yeah but I thought the general recommendation was to do those drain and refills maybe a couple weeks apart, not 5,000 miles apart.
I did 3 sessions each a week apart when I did mine since it was the first time at 71k miles.

:
2017 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2015 Mazda CX-5 GS/Touring
I just rolled 300,000km/187,500 miles. Other than routine maintenance, I have not wrenched on my CX-5 at all. I’m still running the original headlight bulbs!

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA

Does anyone here have any input in regards to the manual transmission fluid drain and replace? The manual I have gives the lifetime fluid line, but just thought I'd see if anyone out there is in a similar situation.
At 120K miles, I’d consider to change manual transmission gear lubricant but it’s not critical like automatic transmission ATF replacement.

Based on CX-5 owner’s manual, recommended manual transaxle oil is API Service GL-4 with 75W-80 viscosity. The capacity is ”approximately” 1.65 L (1.74 US qt, 1.45 Imp qt). Any name brand gear oil which meets the specs will do. Or simply to get Mazda OEM gear oil with correct specs.

At 120K miles, I’d consider to change manual transmission gear lubricant but it’s not critical like automatic transmission ATF replacement.

Based on CX-5 owner’s manual, recommended manual transaxle oil is API Service GL-4 with 75W-80 viscosity. The capacity is ”approximately” 1.65 L (1.74 US qt, 1.45 Imp qt). Any name brand gear oil which meets the specs will do. Or simply to get Mazda OEM gear oil with correct specs.
Thanks so much for this!