HID lights for my 2003 Protege

Mazdspeed

:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege
I have a 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege and im planning to install HID ligts on it. i need to get some suggestions about whats a good and cheap brand. does anyone have had any problems with HID lights on their cars?

PM Protephile, he's doing a group buy of HID's from Techone right now. They're a breeze to install.

4500K = Great light output (3400 lumens), White, best performance
5000K = Great light output (3200 lumens), Pure white, very good looks
6000K = Good light output (3000 lumens) , white with blue hue, best looks
8 000K = Good light output (2800 lumens) , light blue output, best looks

Is it fine if i install the 6000K in my car ? suggestions ?

Does anyone know what Bulb Sizes does the 2003 MAzdaspeed protege need ?

Last edited:
PM Protephile, he's doing a group buy of HID's from Techone right now. They're a breeze to install.

I thought techone fell through and he was working with a different supplier now.. The one I saw didn't offer a bixenon kit, but rather an HID low with Halogen high beam kit... which personally I would NEVER spend money on.

personally I would go with 5K-6K. I have a 6K kit, and it is MORE than blue enough for me, I'm not going for a ton of flash, and as you see, the lower the color temp you choose, the more actual light output you get.

I thought techone fell through and he was working with a different supplier now.. The one I saw didn't offer a bixenon kit, but rather an HID low with Halogen high beam kit... which personally I would NEVER spend money on.

personally I would go with 5K-6K. I have a 6K kit, and it is MORE than blue enough for me, I'm not going for a ton of flash, and as you see, the lower the color temp you choose, the more actual light output you get.

thanks i think im gonna get 5k. i dont want it to be too bright.

I'm in the same boat. I can't decide between 6k & 8k. There are only a few people with HIDS installed on their car and I don't see them enough to actually tell whether or not I like them. When looking at pictures online, none of them are ever the true color b/c HIDS are better to see in person.

I'm in the same boat. I can't decide between 6k & 8k. There are only a few people with HIDS installed on their car and I don't see them enough to actually tell whether or not I like them. When looking at pictures online, none of them are ever the true color b/c HIDS are better to see in person.

8K is too blue for me.. no added functionality, and gets cops attention much quicker. 6K looks like it could be factory HIDs, 8K, pretty much not.

thats just how I feel about it though, I'm sure others would disagree, anyone who's seen my car will tell you I'm pretty boring! lol

Im going to check them out. now was it easy to install ?
Yeah it was super easy, it took me 20mins

Does anyone know what Bulb Sizes does the 2003 MAzdaspeed protege need ?
6K is perfect to do, its more of a ice white with some blue. bulb size 9003

HID 6K has worked perfect for me, I wouldn't go any higher.

I've decided on 6k. Just waiting on finances. School loan hasn't gone through yet, so I need to stop buying things and manage bills etc But HIDS is def my next purchase...

Last edited:
having brights to flash people is always a plus.
BTW, the Techones are great, and Protephile (Gary) is a pleasure to deal with. Get 4300K 5000K and don't look like a ricer ;)

having brights to flash people is always a plus.
BTW, the Techones are great, and Protephile (Gary) is a pleasure to deal with. Get 4300K 5000K and don't look like a ricer ;)
protophile isn't working with techone anymore... too many supplier issues.

OK well I'm sure he wouldn't sell an inferior product either way. And if you read correctly, I never said he was selling Techones, and if you read REALLY carefully, I never make a CLEAR connection between the two, even though it's obvious that I am.
Long story short; he sold me Techone's, I loved the product - even though I've moved on to better lighting, sort of - and Gary is awesome to deal with, even when you are out of the country.

OK well I'm sure he wouldn't sell an inferior product either way. And if you read correctly, I never said he was selling Techones, and if you read REALLY carefully, I never make a CLEAR connection between the two, even though it's obvious that I am.
Long story short; he sold me Techone's, I loved the product - even though I've moved on to better lighting, sort of - and Gary is awesome to deal with, even when you are out of the country.

let me clarify.... he's not working with techone, and his current supplier doesn't offer bi-xenon (or he's not offering a bixenon from them, either way)... the high beams are halogen, which I am personally against using. my opinion only...

Ya I got the Techone thing. I bought mine 1 year ago...
And he's selling "Hi/Lo"s? Eeep, that surprises me. I had a cheap set of some no-name brand and those things were CRAP! What a waste of money...Techones worked great, but projectors are better ;)

Back