Here I come!!!!!

wow I forgot about this thread! We do need picts!

oh..forgot to respond to this...
you get nav over there in japan.. if you ever sell the car, I've got first dibs on it.

with that said.. good luck!! (yippy)
It will be a real custom job cause the shifter is reverse for them...shifter sits on the left side of console and the e brake is on right. You can go even farther and do a full RHD conversion! If I ever get stationed in japan I'm going junk yard hunting!

Last edited:
Pics uploaded finally

yeah sorry guys, japanese company that i work for makes me work 90 hour weeks... well maybe not 90 but feels like it, not much time for mazda forum unfortunately...

Attachments

• IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0639.JPG
    IMG_0639.JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
More pics

Shifter is actually kinda far from the right hand side. It seems Mazda built them for the US, not for Japan. Manual transmissions are not as popular in Japan as they once were....

If any of you guys want pics of a particular portion of the JDM Atenza Sport, let me know and I'll be happy to oblige!

Attachments

• IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    243.8 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    304.2 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 292
loving the interior and tails! You have the hatch lid rattle issues?

Hi Da6
Hatch lid rattle? Haven't noticed any rattling... yet. I have noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of noise from the wheel well (passenger side = left side in Japan) when going through puddles in the street in/after the rain.

also the cd changer got stuck, need to get it unstuck. but the navigation came in handy on the Tokyo City Highway (Shutoko Battle, anyone?) in my drive up to Chiba from Shiga.

p.s. there's also a dial to change the HID beam angle (4 settings) to prevent shining the bright lights into oncoming traffic when you have luggage in the back (heavy luggage tilts the car) which is kinda cool and necessary in japan.

Last edited:
Sweet 6 Mad...What line of work are you in? Let me know if you ever swing by the Kansai area! :D Any mods planned?

Do you have the 6 cd changer or single cd/mp3 player?

Antoine, you don't take the train that derailed, do you? that was a terrible tragedy...

The only time I would swing by your area is when I hit Costco's in Amagasaki.... I'm not in sales or anything but do engineering support for Daifuku, a materials handling and transport systems/equipment manufacturer.

Sorry about the pricing info, will try to get that in soon, now that I posted pics...

Da6, mp3 players are slow to take on in Japan, MD players are the mainstream now for the moment (but the iPod is changing things really fast), so I have the 6cd changer plus a good 'ol cassette deck.

yep sounds like the typical 6cd changer. Take to dealer and pray they send the CD's back in working order.

I'm in love with your car.

I remember last year, someone posted on this forum 2 videos of a red mazda 6 J-Spec with RX-8 mags, the vids were out of a movie and in french with japaneese subtitle. The guy driving it was doing all kinds of crazy moves with the car to get away from some bad guys. Was pretty cool.

cd changer jam

uhoh... those were some of my best ones in there....

but this is Japan, in some instances they are absolutely meticulous about customer property in a car so I might come away lucky...

but whatever there' s always iTunes and what not...

Da 6 said:
yep sounds like the typical 6cd changer. Take to dealer and pray they send the CD's back in working order.

Mikey, thanks for your comments. Gotta go find that thread....

Mikey444 said:
I'm in love with your car.

I remember last year, someone posted on this forum 2 videos of a red mazda 6 J-Spec with RX-8 mags, the vids were out of a movie and in french with japaneese subtitle. The guy driving it was doing all kinds of crazy moves with the car to get away from some bad guys. Was pretty cool.

If you find it, last I remember, the links to the videos dont work but maybe someone will remember about it and would post it if they find it else where.

Seriously, congrats on your ride, I am drooling over it. Red on top of that, my favorite colour for the Mazda 6. Enjoy your ride.

hmmm, i'm torn between my p5 that my parents are driving and my new Atenza. which should I use for my Avatar?

Mikey444 said:
If you find it, last I remember, the links to the videos dont work but maybe someone will remember about it and would post it if they find it else where.

Seriously, congrats on your ride, I am drooling over it. Red on top of that, my favorite colour for the Mazda 6. Enjoy your ride.
Thanks man. It's a beautiful car and really stands out here in JPN 'cause everyone drives a white or silver/gray car and the occasional black. not to mention japanese people don't like sunshine, so there's even fewer cars with a sunroof.

Handling is up there with the WRX's I've driven, but much friendlier. Hugs curves too. Sooo quiet that I forget to shift sometimes....

Last edited:
Pricing info

Pricing Info for Antoine (all in Japanese Yen)
Base Price 2,723,000
Rebate -2,500
Taxable Price 2473,000
Mazda Sport Floor Mats 22,600 (expensive but nice!)
Rear License Plate Rim 3,400 (rip off but necessary 'cause license plate is not removable after delivery - stupid Japanese DMV laws)
Mazdaspeed Seat 77,400
Total 2,576,400
Tax 128,820

Dealer and Other Fees
Dealer Registration 38,900
Proof of Parking Spot 16,000
Trade In Fee 6,000
"Recycle" Fee 13,090
Total 73,990
Tax 3,700

DMV Fees
Registration 3,500
Automobile New Purchase Tax 122,500
Yearly Weight Tax 56,700
Mandatory Insurance 39,260
Total 221,960

Grand Total 3,004,870
Which is about $28,082 at 108 yen/$

All these taxes and fees really are very expensive in Japan, so be forewarned, in my case I paid 428,470 yen on top of price of the car.

p.s. I forgot to mention that my dealer also threw in 3 years of oil changes and 2 yrs of Japan DMV inspection.

Last edited:
MadBiker said:
Thanks man. It's a beautiful car and really stands out here in JPN 'cause everyone drives a white or silver/gray car and the occasional black. not to mention japanese people don't like sunshine, so there's even fewer cars with a sunroof.

Ain't that the TRUTH! I was just thinking that today!

MadBiker said:
Pricing Info for Antoine (all in Japanese Yen)
Base Price 2,723,000
Rebate -2,500
Taxable Price 2473,000
Mazda Sport Floor Mats 22,600 (expensive but nice!)
Rear License Plate Rim 3,400 (rip off but necessary 'cause license plate is not removable after delivery - stupid Japanese DMV laws)
Mazdaspeed Seat 77,400
Total 2,576,400
Tax 128,820

Dealer and Other Fees
Dealer Registration 38,900
Proof of Parking Spot 16,000
Trade In Fee 6,000
"Recycle" Fee 13,090
Total 73,990
Tax 3,700

DMV Fees
Registration 3,500
Automobile New Purchase Tax 122,500
Yearly Weight Tax 56,700
Mandatory Insurance 39,260
Total 221,960

Grand Total 3,004,870
Which is about $28,082 at 108 yen/$

All these taxes and fees really are very expensive in Japan, so be forewarned, in my case I paid 428,470 yen on top of price of the car.

p.s. I forgot to mention that my dealer also threw in 3 years of oil changes and 2 yrs of Japan DMV inspection.

Holy Sh*T MAN! I thought it was expensive but what's up with all those crazy fees? What do your costs come to each month (tax, insurance, car payment, fees etc)?

yeah owning a car in Japan = getting raped by red tape

Antoine said:
Holy Sh*T MAN! I thought it was expensive but what's up with all those crazy fees? What do your costs come to each month (tax, insurance, car payment, fees etc)?
Aren't you glad you haven't bought an RX-7 yet?

Believe it or not, comprehensive insurance for my new Atenza is the same as it was for the used WRX Wagons I previously owned, about 120,000 yen per year. For a used RX-7, be prepared to pay about the same for insurance. But that's yearly.

I borrowed about 1,400,000 yen so at like 4.5% over 5 years its like 36,000 yen per month. If you get an RX-8 now I think they're still doing the 2.9% interest deal.

I just paid like 45,000 yen for the coming year for the Curb Weight Tax. This tax is a misnomer because it's really a tax on the engine displacement. Since my car is 2.3L, I pay more. A "kei" car that has displacement of like 660cc would be taxed like only 7,200 yen per year. That's why "kei" cars that are turbo'd are so popular. And some of those cars can really zip around.

The other fees are initial purchase fees, like the mandatory insurance and registration/title fees. But they do add up. Even in the US though taxes and fees can add up, but I think you pay an extra 2 or 3 grand (US$) more here in Japan.

BTW, I'm getting very decent fuel economy with the Atenza, but I do drive sparingly (short shifting). A full tank of high octane gas costs me about 7,000 yen for like 55 liters of dino fuel. But I am getting about 700 to 750 km per tank, and I think this time around I might be able to get 800 km to the tank. Not bad.

Oh yeah, I also pay about 5,000 yen per month for parking. Where you live in Takarazuka, don't be surprised if you car parking costs what some people would pay for rent for a very small room, like 3 or 40,000 yen per month if not more. I'm not kidding.

So Antoine, getting a car in Japan may not be worth it if you're going to be here short term. If you move out to the boonies like where I live now in Shiga, then car parking won't be as expensive but insurance is kinda expensive compared to what it would cost in some states in the USA.

If you want a fun car that doesn't have as much initial fees and taxes, a blown Kei car would be nice, but then again you won't be able to buy didley squat at the Costco's in Amagasaki....

So I would definitely research all the costs and then calculate whether you can afford a car where you live. Hope this helps!

Back