Help with some msp info

:
03 Protege 5
Hey everyone, I recently came across an 03 spicy orange msp (for sale in chicago) that my girlfriend has expressed interest in buying. I have emailed the owner, but am still waiting to here back. Here is the listing for it:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4239278752.html

What concerns me is the price for the mileage for one thing. Does that seem too good to be true? I am also bothered by the fact that it needs a new oil pan. As of right now, I have no idea what condition the oil pan is in or why it needs to be replaced, but I do know that oil leaks = bad.

I've read some general guidelines as to what to look for when checking these out, so really I am just wondering if any of you feel it is too sketchy to even consider? I feel like other msp's I have seen for sale are the same price with higher mileage...

Thanks.

It's a private seller price seems good car looks clean it's something u have to check in person see ifs it's stock how old the owner is and what the service history does he have and y does it need an oil pan

supposedly, he is the original owner, and has all documentation for work done. I'm not sure if it has been heavily modified at all, I'll try to find out if he ever gets back to me about it.

Ask if he ever had the car lowered.... i doubt it from the sound of the guy but maybe he hit a nasty pothole... even with the car not lowered, im sure the city has plenty potholes that can destroy an oil pan at stock height. who knows. Another note is the DIFF. I bought my MSP with 66k miles and a month and a half after i had it the diff went, but these cars are known for bad diffs so always keep the diff in mind ( you will probably have to replace it at some point ) ..... other than that it looks clean... it says price negotiable.. you can probably steal it for 5 grand considering the oil pan, no radio, and sweet talk the bumper scratches.

Ask if he ever had the car lowered.... i doubt it from the sound of the guy but maybe he hit a nasty pothole... even with the car not lowered, im sure the city has plenty potholes that can destroy an oil pan at stock height. who knows. Another note is the DIFF. I bought my MSP with 66k miles and a month and a half after i had it the diff went, but these cars are known for bad diffs so always keep the diff in mind ( you will probably have to replace it at some point ) ..... other than that it looks clean... it says price negotiable.. you can probably steal it for 5 grand considering the oil pan, no radio, and sweet talk the bumper scratches.

yeah I was sorta wondering that myself. Chicago streets can get pretty messed up with potholes and huge sewers. I got a message back from him, I'm going to go check it out on monday hopefully.

Well I couldn't find anything by seraching his vin. According to autocheck, he is the only owner, it has never been in an accident...
I'm going to test drive it tomorrow. I'd like to take it to a mechanic and have them check it out, if everything looks good I may try to snag it!

I'd buy that car, even for $6k. I consider the low mileage worth it, replacing an oil pan is cake though so if you can't replace it yourself factor in $500 or so for a shop to do it. Really need an MSP owner or expert with you to look at it though.

Well I couldn't find anything by seraching his vin. According to autocheck, he is the only owner, it has never been in an accident...
I'm going to test drive it tomorrow. I'd like to take it to a mechanic and have them check it out, if everything looks good I may try to snag it!

get the vin as already stated and search here. you aren't necessarily checking vehicle history here. If you get the vin, you can use it on the thread here for production numbers and see if they are a member here. If they are, you could go to their profile and look at their threads to find more direct info on the car instead of relying on other 3rd party sources.

Last edited:
Back