Help w/ Mani Bolts

C0nstantine

:
2003 Mazda Protege Speed
hey all: I've taken off my full turbo assembly and I have 2 stuck/broke mani bolts. I've tried several things to remove these two bolts with no damn success. :(. Looking to you guys for some advice. Don't know what else to do. I've taken two pics of what it looks like. I've used PB blaster every time to loosen them up. Drilled the top one and tried to use a damn extractor after I drilled it but the extractor broke in half while also breaking the bottom of the bolt out. So not sure how to proceed. Could really use yall's help. Thanks

Josh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    809 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 204
I spent hours once trying to extract just one broken exhaust manifold bolt and wound up just tapping it for a bigger size bolt (not smart - you can hit a coolant line in the head if you're not careful). It was terrible. If you have two broken bolts... maybe you could save yourself the trouble and put your car back together without those two bolts and drive it to a shop that has the right tools and experience to get those out. I know that isn't very helpful, but if I had to go through it again that's what I would do. It would be worth paying to not risk ruining your head somehow.

Good luck with it

Guys thanks for your input. Ok a few more questions:

Jackie: Do you think if I took a drill bit the same exact size of the bolt and just drilled right through the bolt, would that destroy the bolt where I could at least clean inside the hole and maybe rethread it? Do you think that would work? What risks would I be taking with doing that, if any?

Schwamm: If I get down to that option, do I just take it to any machine shop or is there like a specialized one that I should be looking for? Is it ok to leave them two bolts stuck in there with putting everything back together than running the car? Any damage I should be aware of if I take this route?

Thanks guys!!

I have never taken my car to a shop for this sort of thing but I would find a reputable local mechanics shop to try it. Just call and ask if they'll help you.

If you drive with two missing bolts, you will probably have an exhaust leak but if you're gentle on it you should be able to drive it to a shop without issue. I wouldn't worry about that - just don't floor it!

You'll need a professional torch to extract those bolts. You'll have to torch them until they glow and drill them while they're hot. I hope this will help you. That's what I've done to mine.

Yea it seems like this is going to suck. :( Seriously guys thanks for all the responses! Really do appreciate all the input. I guess I'll and see if I can find a mechanic that will know what the hell their doing, cause it seems that I DON'T LOL. :)

Thanks again!!!

If it were my car I'd try welding another bolt to whats left. That will do two things - heat them significantly which can help break up corrosion, and give me something to turn. Other than that it probably means pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop.

I would agree with taking it to a professional at this point. Especially with the easy out broken in one of the bolts.

Back