HELP: Rough Cold start?!

GoodGuyDudu

2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD (Mousse)
Hey guys!

(ATTACHED VIDEO) Need a bit of help here. Not used to Mazdas, so that might be normal. My car seems to need a lot of effort for cold starts, please refer to Youtube link to see. When the engine is warmed up, it starts within a second, but cold, it needs a lot of cranks, even if it's only 5 degrees Celsius (41°F).
If abnormal, what could be the cause?? I have 55 000 Kilometers for a 2016.5 GT. Battery is still the OEM one, same for spark plugs and oil was changed 2 months ago. Could it be carbon build up? Or something else??

Thanks for your time/help!

Sounds a little slow/weak. I’d get the battery tested. Nothing more concerning than that in my opinion.

Hey guys!

(ATTACHED VIDEO) Need a bit of help here. Not used to Mazdas, so that might be normal. My car seems to need a lot of effort for cold starts, please refer to Youtube link to see. When the engine is warmed up, it starts within a second, but cold, it needs a lot of cranks, even if it's only 5 degrees Celsius (41°F).
If abnormal, what could be the cause?? I have 55 000 Kilometers for a 2016.5 GT. Battery is still the OEM one, same for spark plugs and oil was changed 2 months ago. Could it be carbon build up? Or something else??

Thanks for your time/help!

How long have you had this 2016.5 CX-5 GT? If you just bought it, you can’t tell what was the cold start like. If you have the CX-5 for several years and you feel the behavior of cold start has changed, then you should think about what is the reason.

Based on your video, your cold start is fine like others had said. The OE Panasonic battery usually lasts 4~5 years. So you may need a new battery sometime before next winter coming. The most cost effective for a new battery is Interstate Group 35 battery from Costco for about $79 with other fees.

2 options:

Inspect water level by opening each cap cover. Add distilled water just enough to cover the plates inside....do not overfill up to plastic caps.

Consider upgrading to higher CCA battery.

2 options:

Inspect water level by opening each cap cover. Add distilled water just enough to cover the plates inside....do not overfill up to plastic caps.

Consider upgrading to higher CCA battery.

Good point, any that you would recommend for the year/model? Costco had grear ones that I've been using on other cars, might go with that.

Good point, any that you would recommend for the year/model? Costco had grear ones that I've been using on other cars, might go with that.

I plan on getting a costco card just to buy their car batteries with excellent warranty......so no experience with their Interstate batteries yet. https://costco.interstatebatteries.com/

I did get a Duralast Gold battery (expensive at $180 or so) only due to an emergency and they were close by and open. The extra 100 or so CCAs help. 2 years later I inspected and noticed water level went down. I added around 2 1/2 cups of distilled water. ONLY enough to cover the metal plates inside. This was a few weeks ago I think. Still going strong.

I plan on getting a costco card just to buy their car batteries with excellent warranty......so no experience with their Interstate batteries yet. https://costco.interstatebatteries.com/

I did get a Duralast Gold battery (expensive at $180 or so) only due to an emergency and they were close by and open. The extra 100 or so CCAs help. 2 years later I inspected and noticed water level went down. I added around 2 1/2 cups of distilled water. ONLY enough to cover the metal plates inside. This was a few weeks ago I think. Still going strong.
Good to know, I will check it out. Thanks!!

In Canada, we have those Kirkland batteries (don't know about the US), this is the one I was referring to!

I just replaced my 5½-year-old factory Panasonic battery 2 weeks ago with OEM Mazda “High Performance” battery which is made by Interstate. It looks exactly the same as the Interstate battery sold at Costco which is much cheaper. The only difference is OEM battery uses black plastic case but Interstate uses white. So go get Interstate Group 35 battery at Costco (~$79) if you need a new battery.

Not sure who makes Kirkland Signature battery for Costco in Canada though.

Last edited:
Your battery is weak, it cranked slow. I would check the alternator output just in case, and put the battery on a charger and test it afterwards. Maybe check for a parasitic drain too, which could rob your battery of power.

Back