HELP NEEDED Buying 2016 CX 5 60k+ miles

Just left dealership..business manager came over showing me NADA data proving this is a good deal telling me why wont I buy..wouldnt budge from 14k OTD..would hate to lose the car but like you guys said there is many others out there Ill find plenty of other deals.. I just cant do 14k OTD.

If they came to 13k OTD I would bite. They showed me lots of data telling me this is a good deal but I just cant shake its too much. I really want a better deal.

Way to stick to your guns young man! Great job. Ill agree with you, $13k OTD would work, and if thats what youll pay, thats what youll pay. Probably havent heard the last from them, though, but who knows...

It normally works out in the buyers favor to not snag up the first one they find, so heres to finding the deal youre looking for...

Way to stick to your guns young man! Great job. Ill agree with you, $13k OTD would work, and if thats what youll pay, thats what youll pay. Probably havent heard the last from them, though, but who knows...

It normally works out in the buyers favor to not snag up the first one they find, so heres to finding the deal youre looking for...

Thank you and yes Im comfortable at 13k OTD thats my price Id sign on today. Please keep this post in mind as I will update if they contact me..I hope they do but Im willing to let it go if they dont. They said that they would trade it in at 13.5 etc etc and Im just like...hey Im at 12.5k...everyone says I should be at 12.5k...

As others have said, great job!!! You have all the power to pay the price you want, and you did great not caving into the common sales techniques.

Considering 14 Sports are going for that near you, I think that's a good price...

Just left dealership..business manager came over showing me NADA data proving this is a good deal telling me why wont I buy..wouldnt budge from 14k OTD..would hate to lose the car but like you guys said there is many others out there Ill find plenty of other deals.. I just cant do 14k OTD.

If they came to 13k OTD I would bite. They showed me lots of data telling me this is a good deal but I just cant shake its too much. I really want a better deal.

Just politely walk. Come back in a month when it's still there. Be polite and respectful so noone's ego gets tied up in "standing firm". See what happens. Oh, your situation has changed, and you can only support a note of (insert amount that has you OTD at 12.5k once extrapolated at your pre-approved interest rate from your CU. Let them do that math...).

⋯ Im pretty FIRM on 13k
To me, getting a car exactly what I want is the most important thing. I want the best price possible of course, but that would cost me time and Im not that patient. May be thats why I cant be a good negotiator on price or a money-making businessman.

I still think getting a used car has too many unknowns. You should try to understand the target vehicle as much as you can. Do your best finding out the vehicle hasnt been in a wreck、has been properly maintained、and the history of repairs、etc. making sure itd be more likely reliable for the long run. Unfortunately theres no free lunch, and such used vehicle usually is more expensive than others.

Does the Toyota dealer offer any vehicle check-up list with condition on each item for that CX-5? Simply pulling out the oil level dipstick sometimes would tell you many stories of the engine condition itself.

Youre the only one whos said to pay that much everyone else says to go lower, any other reasoning you have? Im pretty FIRM on 13k
Did anyone else look in your area for these cars in your price range? Maybe. If they did, they didn't post any which tells me something. I did search in your area. The price for this one is LOW compared to what every other car I saw was at. Not one came close to this in a 50 mile radius. I found a few 14 Sports at that price. OTD at 11.5 is unrealistic in your market. Maybe Nelson could but few others could convince a dealer of that.
When I get another minute I will do a larger price search. My 5 minutes search tells me that's either a good price or there is something wrong with it. [emoji53]
/Edit/ Sort of agree with Kaps first point. If this is in good shape you'll easily get another 100k out of it, if not more. Worth fighting over another $50 a month? Is it worth 5 more trips to the dealer? The stress?

Last edited:
Did anyone else look in your area for these cars in your price range? Maybe. If they did, they didn't post any which tells me something. I did search in your area. The price for this one is LOW compared to what every other car I saw was at. Not one came close to this in a 50 mile radius. I found a few 14 Sports at that price. OTD at 11.5 is unrealistic in your market. Maybe Nelson could but few others could convince a dealer of that.
When I get another minute I will do a larger price search. My 5 minutes search tells me that's either a good price or there is something wrong with it. [emoji53]
/Edit/ Sort of agree with Kaps first point. If this is in good shape you'll easily get another 100k out of it, if not more. Worth fighting over another $50 a month? Is it worth 5 more trips to the dealer? The stress?

I did the search, theres Tourings in the $14k range, numerous ones, which says all I need to see, his $13k All-In price can be obtained. I guess you missed where I said it was okay to pay that...All in all, he did the right thing by walking away, so far... Keep in mind its his first one hes looked at, so look elsewhere and at several more is a good thing. Bottom line, if he wants to spend $13k tops, thats what he wants to spend, and thats all that matters.

Great job again so far OP, you talked them down roughly a $1k pretty easily, better than most would do, or give up saying its not obtainable, or worth it (its always worth
It).

Good luck on your continued search and deal youre looking for...

I will continue to help him the best I can...

Didn't miss a thing. I'm enjoying this thread. Just adding a counter.

Going into the dealership tomorrow, hoping to walk out with a good deal. Should I ask to speak to a manager or continue dealing with the same salesmen?

Going into the dealership tomorrow, hoping to walk out with a good deal. Should I ask to speak to a manager or continue dealing with the same salesmen?
Did they agree to the price? Congrats. Just don't let them charge insane dealer fees. No need to talk to manager. Pay price taxes and some doc fees.

I actually wouldnt go back to the dealership unless they already agreed to the deal youre looking for...

If you have to, walk in with an already made out signed check for that amount.

Good luck. I casually looked quickly, and there are a lot of CX-5s within 50 miles of you for sale. More than I anticipated. Looked on cargurus. Some better than others, of course, but most with the mileage of the one youre looking at...

Yes it's worth fighting over $50/mo, that's people's entire gasoline expenditure on this forum it seems with all these no-driving xxxxx on here. Wouldn't YOU "fight for" a vehicle that used 0 fuel? That's essentially it.

Also, why should OP confine to his area? Shop nationally if money is this big of a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's worth fighting over $50/mo, that's people's entire gasoline expenditure on this forum it seems with all these no-driving mofos on here. Wouldn't YOU "fight for" a vehicle that used 0 fuel? That's essentially it.

Also, why should OP confine to his area? Shop nationally if money is this big of a deal.
Yea, no crap. $50/month on a 48 month used car loan, Ha, thats $2400, or $580 Per trip for those 5 trips to the dealer. Thats cray cray. Ill fight by email for a couple weeks for that...haha

Latest posts

Back