HELP NEEDED Buying 2016 CX 5 60k+ miles

Looking at my local (SF Bay Area) craigslist, they seem to go for 15-16k. They also have 20-30k less miles on em and most are AWD, but....

I guess that price isn't so so bad. I guess I'd be able to sleep if I paid 14 out the door.

It'd be better if you could make em toss in a warranty of some sort. 60K is kind of a magic number for maintenance.

Literally walk away but explain you'll sleep over it to think about the offer.

They hate seeing you walk away and will be desperate.

I walked away for 2 straight weekends before they caved in.

Something doesn't compute here. According to Kelly blue Book a 2016 touring (no extras) with 65000 miles should sell for ~ $15,000. I suspect there is something very wrong with the vehicle or in very poor shape. I would back away from this deal quickly. Ed

Something doesn't compute here. According to Kelly blue Book a 2016 touring (no extras) with 65000 miles should sell for ~ $15,000. I suspect there is something very wrong with the vehicle or in very poor shape. I would back away from this deal quickly. Ed

Well, first, its not a touring, its a Sport. Also, the trade-in on it is only about $11500, so they have it priced accordingly since its been sitting on the lot for 60 days. I give em trade-in for it, or they can send it to auction and I move on to a better deal. Like stated, guarantee a better one can be had with less mileage if shopping around, and willing to drive and hour or a little more to get it...

Seriously. Put your foot down, tell them that you'll pay 12.5 or 13, and walk the **** out.
You'll get the car, but you will not get ripped off.

Think, every minute you're at work, school or whatever you do, those guys are wheeling and dealing used cars. They know every trick in the book to squeeze every dime out of you. Don't sit there and listen to their spiel any longer.

Where are you located? I'll bet we can find one for you with lower mileage for less money within 100 miles of you.

Located at 34683

How about 13k out the door FLAT!

(This includes 400$ for tags since Ive never owned a car)

They told me it would go for 13500 at auction but I DOUBT it I ALMOST have the cash to follow this to auction? Should I tell them I can meet them in the show room or the auction house? Im pretty positive Im at 13k

I went to Mazda (it was bought there) and they didnt service it there but the Mazda guy even said I need to ask 13k he was awesome. If Natey or Neil can call me please do pm please theyre both off Tuesday and Ill probly want to make this deal today. I want it but I WILL walk away if Im not at around 13 OTD should I be straight up and last price them at 13 or 12.5

I want to buy a warranty so Ive got that on top of the 14k they want or 13k I want.

Natey, Lewis would you do 13k OTD?

Theyre crazy if they think theyre getting $13500 at auction. Thats straight used car salesman talk, and a complete lie! They wont even get trade-in value for it at auction...

$13k OTD isnt that bad I dont guess, if you have to have it today. For me, being closed tmw wouldnt bother me, and Id hold it against them to get closer to $12k on Wed. Whats an extra day to find out and maybe save another $1k, right? They want you to feel pressured to buy today, thats the name of the game...

I also wouldnt buy a warranty from them. Im not a believer in extended warranties, so I dont buy them at all, but I cant fault you for wanting one. Keep in mind, those are also highly negotiable, and you need to read the fine print. They can be bought after purchase, so dont let them tell you otherwise, and feel pressured into it.

Overall, its your call, but you havent done so bad so far. Most first times wouldve been gullible enough to sign by now. Way to remember YOU ARE in control here...

If theyre now down to $13k OTD, you should able to solidify between $12-12500 by the time they close tonight. Just stick to it, and yes, you just have to flat out tell them thats what youre paying, or make em think until Wednesday...

If theyre now down to $13k OTD, you should able to solidify between $12-12500 by the time they close tonight. Just stick to it, and yes, you just have to flat out tell them thats what youre paying, or make em think until Wednesday...

Theyre at 14k OTD my tags shouldnt be factored in I think because thats 400 I have to pay ANYWHERE! So its really 13.6

I can ask for 13k OTD including that 400 or for 12500 including the 400 tags?

Yeah I can tell theyre gaming me. Im 26 and Ive never bought I car. Im willing to WAIT! Im an extreme cheap ass. The longer they hold at their price the lower my price will be to where I wont even buy it lol.

But if it suctions cheap I could pay cash they know I have the cash because my mom let t slip I can buy it cash.

NELSON, with them being at 14k should I say 13k all in including tags or 12.5 all in including tags?

I try for $12k today, and be willing to wait till Wednesday if I couldnt get it. If you really want to pay cash, write a check out for $12k and put it on the table, take it or leave it. If you dont get it today, I think you get it for $13k tops OTD on Wednesday, and I dont think thats too bad, of course, $12-12500 is always better. Haha

Advise you'd have to think about it. You'll notify them tomorrow.

BUT will do 13k OTD right now.

And leave for real and go have lunch or something. :)

Last edited:
Advise you'd have to think about it. You'll notify them tomorrow.

BUT will do 13k OTD right now.

And leave for real and go have lunch or something. :)

Thank you I left the dealer at 1pm but going back around 4:30

Will either give them 12.5 OTD or 13k OTD I cant decide.

Thank you I left the dealer at 1pm but going back around 4:30

Will either give them 12.5 OTD or 13k OTD I cant decide.

Thats easy, 12.5 OTD today. Theres always Wednesday if it doesnt pan out today. Plus, they may counter with the $13k, if you start there, it leaves the door open for them to counter higher...

This is essiting! Wtf has happened to the used car market.
I bought a 15 Camry SE CPO with 20K miles for 17 OTD - in Jan of 2017. Today that same car is listed slightly above 17 to begin with. + TTL + I got them to throw in auto dimming mirrors for free. I mean what the heck >.<

There is only one time of the year to buy old used / CPO etc. When Avis / National / etc turn theirs in. Go for the personal lease or a single owner and no fleet.

This is essiting! Wtf has happened to the used car market.
I bought a 15 Camry SE CPO with 20K miles for 17 OTD - in Jan of 2017. Today that same car is listed slightly above 17 to begin with. + TTL + I got them to throw in auto dimming mirrors for free. I mean what the heck >.<

There is only one time of the year to buy old used / CPO etc. When Avis / National / etc turn theirs in. Go for the personal lease or a single owner and no fleet.

Idk what any of this means

Just tune it out. Like most of the time, it provides zero value to the discussion at hand...

Just left dealership..business manager came over showing me NADA data proving this is a good deal telling me why wont I buy..wouldnt budge from 14k OTD..would hate to lose the car but like you guys said there is many others out there Ill find plenty of other deals.. I just cant do 14k OTD.

If they came to 13k OTD I would bite. They showed me lots of data telling me this is a good deal but I just cant shake its too much. I really want a better deal.

Back