Help me review parts for planned Timing Belt job

buliwyf

:
2002 Mazda Protege5, 2014 Mazda3 sedan
I'm buying parts online (rockauto) for my planned timing belt job.

I'm thinking of getting:

1. Timing Belt kit
AIRTEX Part # AWK1238 Kit Contains: Water Pump, Timing Belt, Cam Belt Tensioner Pulley, Cam Belt Idler Pulley

2. Valve Cover gasket kit
FEL-PRO Part # VS50574R w/Grommets & Spark plug tube seals; PermaDry molded rubber Gasket

3. Camshaft seal set
FEL-PRO Part # TCS45860 Camshaft Front Seal

4. Crankshaft seal set
FEL-PRO Part # TCS45936 Crankshaft Front Seal Set

5. Aircon - Power Steering belt
DAYCO Part # 5050460DR DriveRite

6. Waterpump - Alternator belt
DAYCO Part # 5040362DR DriveRite

I'll also throw in some coolant and engine oil/oil filter.

Everything should be about $250 ~ $270, inclusive of taxes and shipping.

How much do you think I should get charged for labor?

Do you think there are some unnecessary stuff in there? Or are there other parts that can be replaced during the same time?

FYI, this is for "preventive maintenance." Nothing is broken as of the moment, but I'm approaching 100k miles.

You need a timing belt tensioner spring from the dealer (some kits include this but most don't), and some RTV silicone gasket maker. Labor will be at least $250-300 I would guess.

Try to see if there's at least a Gates belt kit available. When I did mine recently, I went with OEM parts (I don't want to have to do the job again for a long while) but that may be cost prohibitive. However, the gates kits have historically been of very high quality as well.

I would estimate the labor possibly being higher than $250 at a repair shop. I was quoted $350+ to have it done in my area with me providing parts.

OEM water pump gasket, most of the ones that come in kits are paper while the OEM gasket is a coated metal, also the crank gasket may not be needed. Make sure that you use grey RTV as it's temp rated for the valve cover area. Depending on the shape of the VC grommets they might need replacing too..

Back