help me pick/place new amp

danielschweer

:
'02 protege5
so its time to amp the mb quarts i just got. 6x8 reference series components for the fronts and 6.5 inch discuss to fill in the rear. i kind of screwed myself on my sub install in that i overlooked placing an amp for the speakers. so far i've been looking at the jl 300/4 to kinda go along with the 500/1 for the sub. so my problems arise in the following:

a) i think the 300/4 may be a little more than i need, i wasn't really looking to amp the rear door speakers as they are mostly for fill, so should i just get that, amp all the speakers and call it a day, or look elsewhere? if so, recommendations?

b) where the f do i put it? i'm pretty anti- installing it under either front seat.. and similarly anti- mounting to the back of the rear seat. i'm kinda handy (see below) so i'm open to most suggestions

SUC51333.jpg

Make a custom panel for the right side of the hatch with some white trim for the second amp.

Or, find something else to toss in the current amp location and mount both amps to the stabilizer bar using custom aluminum brackets. That would be sweet.

chuyler1 said:
Make a custom panel for the right side of the hatch with some white trim for the second amp.

yeah, thats kinda how i think it'll end up.

opinion on the amp? pondering the 300/2 as well, but the reference's power range is 60-130w

hifonics?

Last edited:
Why not under the seat? It has worked well for me. No wiring distress from passengers, no overheat... Clean and invisible to the t'eef tinkin' 'bout which car to break into...

P-Funk! said:
Why not under the seat? It has worked well for me. No wiring distress from passengers, no overheat... Clean and invisible

i've just never thought underseat amp installs were very nice, i know that is a very common place for them, but .... i just dont wanna. at the risk of sounding completely full of myself :eek: i think i can do better

danielschweer said:
i've just never thought underseat amp installs were very nice, i know that is a very common place for them, but .... i just dont wanna. at the risk of sounding completely full of myself :eek: i think i can do better

You've got JL Sub and a 500/1 already, why not stick with JL. The 300/2 would be an excellent choice to integrate into the system. Keep the gains down and you will be fine. The rating on the Refs are just as a guide. You can go over a little because most of the time you will not be running at full power. The extra power also gives more headroom for those times you do want to crank it. I might have one available for sale in a day or two if you could wait.

And like someone said, I would build a small area on the side of the hatch in white as well to do the 300/2.

Rider69 said:
And like someone said, I would build a small area on the side of the hatch in white as well to do the 300/2.

bought a 300/4 a few days ago, i think i will end up building something to the right side. now that i've finally got the enclosure done, i kinda want to do a different one. i now kinda want the sub on the right side, and both amps mounted left, idk,

I wish I still had pics of mine as I had the sub (12") on the right side and had 3 JBL amps in the center in the spare hole.

i wish you had pics too. i ve seen a few f/g projects done on the right side, they look nice, i kinda want to free up the center for my surfboard.

Back