Hello

dweiser

:
03' Protege5
Hello to all,
I figured it was about time to introduce myself into the forums here, as of Saturday morning I became the very proud owner of a new (well to me), silver, 2003 protege5. And I must say, I cant wait to get some plates on her and she what she can do on the back roads of Massachusetts (drive) . You can only do so much on the test drive and driving it home with plates from a different car. As much as i already love her she does have a couple of faults, but i can look past these. With 96,000 miles already on her, we'll be joining the 100k mile club shortly. And the usual small amount rusting around the wheel wells and the small pits on the front of the car and hood from almost 100k miles of driving. I have already found the thread about the rusting and what i can do about it to stop it from spreading an more, and perhaps clean as much as i can up. Also there is a dent on the front driver side fender that I'll be looking into removing, might have dent wizard give me a quote if they think they can do it.

If anyone curious this is the car i bought http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1389849878.html there are a couple of pictures on the bottom of the page of the car, I will probably take some pictures after i get her cleaned up as much as possible.

I'm looking forward to becoming a contributing member of this community, i know I'm happy that its here i already got some great things, love the link to the service manuals especially since I'm the type of person who likes to do the work myself.

As for planned modifications non yet, maybe some new wheels so i can have both summer and winter tires, but well see.

Ohh yeah my name is Dave, 24yr. As for her name, its still to be determined but I'm sure shell get something good when i take her out for a drive.

It has been a long few days waiting to get plates for the car, but its finally done, after work i got my insurance all finalized and plates on the car and it was time for my first real drive, only 10-15 miles or so around the back roads, but what a 10-15 minutes it was. I mean i knew i was going to like the car, but the instant smile it put on my face.

The P5 is a totally different experience from the last car i owned, a 97 maxima. The maxima is a surprisingly powerful car that does not mind cursing along at low RPMs while the P5 just loves to have that little 4 banger, banging away as fast it can. And the handling of the maxima just does not compete with the P5, this new car of mine just loved being thrown into a corner. Although a short experience today it was a very nice one. Lets just say I think I'm in love.

There is a second part to this post, i had previously said that i was probably not going to do anything to the car well thats for the most part true but there are a few of things that i already own that im thinking of installing.

1) Roof Rack, in this case i guess its more uninstalling that installing, but I'm taking it off. Probably not the whole thing runners and all but the cross bars i believe i have heard the term "ohh s*** bars" for them. When i bought the car it came with the black inserts to cover up the that the cross bars will leave on the runners. I don't have much need for roof rack right now and i figure i can always put them back on. But i wonder how good it will look with those large black runners on top of the car.

2) CD player, from my last car an aftermarket cd player, the Pioneer DEH-P7800MP. Its not a bad system, a little hard to get used to at first but LOTS of control over the sound. The original radio is nice its the in dash 6cd player, but then i don't own any cds anymore and having an AUX input would be nice. But i have 2 concerns, a) I have not been able to find a new faceplate to install a 1din radio into the 2din spot. b) I am unsure how the wiring will work because my p5 comes with the factory installed sub woofer, i know the CD player can handle it but it has secondary outputs that are meant to go to an amp before a sub, so if anyone has info on this that would be helpful, wiring diagrams or something.

3) Rear Speakers, also from the maxima, I have a pair of speakers, JBL gto626 they are 6.5" speakers, and I think that is the same size as the speakers in the back unless i was misinformed. Not top of the line, but certainly nice 2 way speakers.

Back