Hello all

Shkybonez

:
2002 Mazda protege 5
Hi guys I'm Doug I'm a new owner of my first Mazda protege 5 that I bought a few weeks ago. I found this site while looking up basic mod ideas probably how we all found the site well I just wanted to introduce myself and hope to make a few friends and ask a few questions along the way (wiggle)

What's up dude. I want to say you made a good choice with your car. But only time will tell, they're awesome but I kinda got hosed on mine so I'm a little apprehensive about the Proteges now... I digress, good luck with your new car, and enjoy it (they're super fun to drive, one question, auto or manual?). Sorry for rambling..

Automatic due to the wife not wanting to learn how to drive a 5 speed sigh........ Also I have a silly question for anyone willing to answer it .. I've been reading all the threads on this longer spark plug from the 1.6l I was wondering if there's anyone that has them in the protege 5 ... I have a 02 and I'm kinda scared to put them in due to the fact the there longer and history has taught me the longer the plug the more chance it will hit the piston sorry for question but its a new to me car and I'm still learning about the mazdas but if I get someone that's says they will work with my car I wanna put them in
Thanks guys for your time

No reason to change from stock spec spark plugs, especially if your P5 is factory stock. Drive the car and enjoy it. If you need to change the plugs (poor fuel economy, hard starting etc) pop in some NGK's and dont worry about it (IMHO). Welcome to the forum and show us a pic!

If its the ZFR5F-11 plugs you are referring to, they won't hit the piston. They are the factory plugs used in the Japanese spec engines. I've ran them with no physical problems in my pro5.

Will take a picture tomorrow of the Mazda I probably should've done that by now but the wife and kids have me swamped with the honey do list and can we go to the toy store

Doug

My car

Here's the Mazda

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    713.5 KB · Views: 713
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    860.1 KB · Views: 706
Thanks guys! The funny part is my kids picked out that sticker when we went to west va a few weeks ago they said it described me lol also just ordered a Cai for the car last night so far I did the header with the anti fouler mod a cat back exhaust , the long spark plug and I'm really enjoying the car .. I'm thinking about taking the intake off and taking out those intake shutters in the spring it's a little to cold right now

Thanks guys! The funny part is my kids picked out that sticker when we went to west va a few weeks ago they said it described me lol also just ordered a Cai for the car last night so far I did the header with the anti fouler mod a cat back exhaust , the long spark plug and I'm really enjoying the car .. I'm thinking about taking the intake off and taking out those intake shutters in the spring it's a little to cold right now

Remember to refresh all your fluids as well to keep that thing driving!

You got the car a few weeks ago, and already you got a header and a cat-back?! (eek2) Sounds like you got the "fever"....

....and welcome to the board!

Just did oil ,filter trans fluid and filter and new brakes getting in ready to tackle the timing belt tensioner and water pump I emailed Brian since he seems like the guy to go to about stuff and I haven't done a timing belt in over twenty years on my vw's and I'm new to the Mazda movement if he be willing to tell me any tips, tricks to make the job go nice and smooth

Yeah I got the fever lol and as far as I know the only cure is more cow bell lol yeah I'm really enjoying this car is handles great and purrs like a kitten just need to do a few odds and ends now so my time with her is long lived and a few friends of mine at work drive the car pre mods and post mods and there impressed and one is looking to get a 02 p5 in a few days

Back