• Welcome to Mazdas247. Membership is free and offers many benefits, please Click Here to learn more, thanks!
  • Mazdas247 is an Amazon Associate and earns from qualifying purchases.

Heard a rumor that Mazda is developing an inline 6 turbo

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
My dealership's sales guy told me that he heard that Mazda is developing an inline 6 turbo for a new RX/sport coupe. Lexus is also supposed to be utilizing Mazda's platform for their RC and IS models in the future.

So he heard...

:
2018 CX-9 Sig
:
2014 CX-5 GT
That rumor has been around for almost a year. Will be part of their "large" architecture vehicles. It will be a Sky-Active X Inline 6 as well.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
That rumor has been around for almost a year. Will be part of their "large" architecture vehicles. It will be a Sky-Active X Inline 6 as well.
Is that right? I wondered.

I've read folks pine for an inline 6 in a Mazda sedan, but heard nothing about it being a "maybe reality" with a turbo.

Interesting that it's going to be a Skyactive-X.

JazzySP20

Madaz
:
AUSTRALIA
:
BJII Astina SP20
The north American market may not be aware of this - but.., here's hoping (and praying) Mazda has bought the rights to re-produce the Ford Australia designed and built "Barra" inline 6cyl turbo motor. It is one of the best 6 cylinder engines produced in the last decade. The motor is so good they are converting anything and everything with a "Barra". Even Nissans and Supras that came with RB or JZ motors are being converted!!

A full street legal, modified Ford BA Falcon recorded a incredible 2000+HP at the wheels during the most recent Summernats meet (Australia's #1 annual meet for modified vehicles). Factory fitted, it punches out 436HP! That certainly should get the Mazda6 mooovin'!! Mildly modified cars are doing a easy 9-10 second quarter mile.

Please Mazda, PLEASE!! 🙏

Last edited:

Antoine

Administrator
My dealership's sales guy told me that he heard that Mazda is developing an inline 6 turbo for a new RX/sport coupe. Lexus is also supposed to be utilizing Mazda's platform for their RC and IS models in the future.

So he heard...
Very interesting...I’ve been hearing about this inline6 from Mazda as well...If this Lexus rumor is true then our conversation regarding higher-spec / higher-performance Mazdas may be timely. Certainly a new flagship performance model would be great, if that means it’s the next gen 6...Awesome, bring it on!

If this new inline6 engine is tuner friendly as well, even better! :love:(y)

JazzySP20

Madaz
:
AUSTRALIA
:
BJII Astina SP20
The north American market may not be aware of this - but..
I was wrong. You 'mericans do know about this gem. And have been importing these engines to the states for a couple of years now.

A story on a 'Barra' converted RX-7 in the states.

Just out of curiosity, how many US/Canada folks on this Mazda forum have heard about these engines? Like if you have.

Last edited:

Antoine

Administrator
I seem to recall reading about Ford “Utes” (back in the day) in Australia that came with a Turbo 6...Is this the same engine you’re talking about..? Could Mazda be working on a Skyactiv equivalent?

Ford Falcon Ute I think...Are they still produced?

JazzySP20

Madaz
:
AUSTRALIA
:
BJII Astina SP20
The "Barra Turbo" was produced by Ford Australia from July 2002 – 26 September 2016. Was fitted to the Falcon sedans and utes depending on model spec.

Ford Australia is no more - as the doors were closed and all vehicle production seized in October of 2016.

The Wiki link I attached to post # 4 provides more details.

JazzySP20

Madaz
:
AUSTRALIA
:
BJII Astina SP20
To add, Ford Australia was designing the then soon to be released (in 2008) FG Falcon in left hand drive. Mainly for the US market. Ford USA, after some consultation, decided they weren't interested. Probably because Ford USA did not want to be shown up by the Australians. Jealous even :p
So jealous, Ford HQ in USA decided to end Australian production of Ford vehicles.

Here's an American's review of the car that USA missed out on.

Same guy reviewing the same car, but a slightly modified version.

Anyways, I highly doubt Mazda are doing (or will do) anything even close to the "Barra" in terms of a inline 6. But I can live in hope.

Last edited:

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I can't believe they would resurrect the "Falcon" brand.

Brings to mind oil-burning flat head 6 sedans...which the above definitely are not.

Latest posts

Weekly Poll: Interested in the MX-30?

• Yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I want an Electric CX-3, 30, 5, 8 or 9

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • I want an Electric Mazda2, 3, 6 or Miata

Votes: 1 3.7%