Has Mazda changed their mind and included the NAV System on the 2020 GT and Reserve?

If my memory serves me right, it locks in after 50-60 miles driving with the sd card in for the first time. Then the period starts.

The problem I see is those cheap ebay listings are probably clones and they are with the release map year of the master card. No idea how it works with them for updating.
I bought one of the cheap ebay listed cards and installed it in our 2020 GT. I made sure to buy it from a seller with a well established ebay reputation. It has Mazda labeling and was manufactured a couple of years ago. It updated correctly and performs perfectly. If it is a clone, it seems to work just like an original. The labeling looks authentic. The Mazda update system accepted it. The car accepted it. The Mazda site indicated that when I updated it, that started the 3 year clock. Have read plenty of online testimonials that concur with my experience.

Have read a few online posts that speculate about possible performance issues with ebay sold cards, but don't remember reading any posts written by someone who actually bought one and had a problem with it.

When did you buy it?

No NAV on my 2020 GT, purchased last month, manufactured in March.

That is, until I bought a card on Amazon for $35. Just updated the maps to the latest version (3-years worth of free updates included). NAV enables traffic sign recognition and seemingly some other things. Not certain If this was one of them; but I didn’t notice the cool speed-limit related speedometer effects on the dash, until after I inserted the NAV card.

That is, until I bought a card on Amazon for $35.

Legit K-generation card with all official Mazda packaging. My guess is every time a new generation of cards is printed and delivered, the dealers and suppliers dump the old versions.

I noticed on the 2020 CX-5 that the traffic signs show up on the dashboard screen by the speedometer and on the windshield HUD, is there anyway to get it to show up on the dashboard of the 2019?

I purchased 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring with the GT package in July, NAV was not included with this trim level. I asked the dealer how much to add the NAV , salesperson told me 300, I went ahead and had the NAV software installed. Works great with the Heads UP Display.

I bought a 2020 GTR. It did not come with an SD card. Dealer wanted $300 as mentioned by others. Bought the SD card from Amazon for around $50. Works perfectly and have updated to the latest version, which is January 2020. Waiting for newer version which should be coming out soon. 3 years of software updates is nice! Use it from time to time but it's not as nice as Android Auto which I use often.

I have not updated my "K" card yet. Will hang on a little longer if there's a new update coming out soon. I assume you simply remove it with the car off, update, and replace with the car still off. Is that correct?

BTW, to confirm from a few posts above, the Nav card is required for speed limit info on the HUD. Stop signs too, of course. But I am puzzled why it doesn't also give notice approaching traffic lights. Not that it could know whether a light is red or green, but it would be nice to know if one's coming up ahead.

I'm not sure what you mean by "K" card but if you're referring to the SD Card, then yes, you'll shut off the car, take out the SD card from the middles console, put it in your computer, go to the website here: https://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/howto-updatemymaps?language=en-US and update to the latest software. I believe Mazda said August or Sep for newer navigation update
"K" is the end character in the part number, BHP1 66 EZ1K, updated with each successive release.

BHP1 66 EZ1L is the latest, and presumably the next will be BHP1 66 EZ1M.

I got a 2020 GTR in late January 2020, and Nav was not included. The salesperson actually said just to use Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, briefly mentioned it was possible to get Nav, but didn't actually discuss the possibility of buying Nav from the dealer.

I bought an SD card for about $35 from eBay. It's worked well so far; I updated it to the January 2020 release after putting in about 65 miles on it.

On the GTR trim, the Nav SD card is necessary for the traffic sign recognition to work.
Bought a 2020 GTR in June & sick of losing GPS via Apple Car Play when driving in upstate NY when we lose cell service intermittently. Enough to get me lost in the dark so it's scary not to have the NAV GPS we had in our 2017 GT Premium (standard feature!)

I want to buy the SD card. Can you pls confirm you have a 2020 CX5 GT RESERVE? Which SD card did you buy as it seems you bought a second one to update an earlier one? I'm a bit confused. Tks...I really miss the info on the windshield & feel bamboozled by Mazda but now willing to pay for NAV card as it's too scary to drive solo now..and at night, being an older gal!

Last edited:
I put a BHP1 66 EZ1J card I bought back in July on Amazon for under $50 in our 2020 CX-5 GTR and it works perfectly.

2020's should also accept subsequent BHP1 66 EZ1K and BHP1 66 EZ1L and BHP1 66 EZ1M updated cards. (might even be an "N" out now too)

I'm not sure if any earlier renditions will work on the 2020's. But "J" and "K" cards are easy to find at a good price anyway.

*(Apparently US 2021 Nav-Cards have an entirely different SKU sequence for the new Infotainment system and are not backward compatible)

Last edited:
Hi, @Lynn.

I do indeed drive a 2020 CX-5 GTR (in Deep Crystal Blue Mica). :)

I definitely hear you on not wanting to be without GPS in more remote locations (and especially at night). The navigation SD card also enables Traffic Sign Recognition in the HUD (for Signature and GTR).

I bought a Mazda Navigation SD Card BHP166EZ1J from eBay last year. @Bird-Dog has good info above about acceptable serial numbers for the card.

I only bought the one card but I updated it using the free Mazda Toolbox software you can download to your PC (or presumably Mac). You do need an SD card slot on your computer or you can buy a USB SD card reader from Amazon for pretty cheap (you put the SD card in the reader and then plug the reader into a USB port on your computer).

Provided your navigation SD card has not been used and "locked" to a specific VIN, you get three years of free map updates from Mazda starting from when you first register/update the card.

I believe the SD card locks to your VIN after 65 miles of driving.

Note: You don't have to update the card to make it work in your vehicle, but I'd recommend it so you have (more) updated maps and speed limit information.

Last edited:
My free update expired on Nov 2021 and I never did any update as I never knew about this. I don't use the built-in Nav anyways just wanted it in case but realized they don't let you update at all after expire.

If 3 years free update they should let me update to the last version before my expire date which was August 2021 update. But this is not their logic and I'm still on the 2019 map.

Well even less reason to use the built-in Nav and stick with AA/Carplay.

My free update expired on Nov 2021 and I never did any update as I never knew about this. I don't use the built-in Nav anyways just wanted it in case but realized they don't let you update at all after expire.

If 3 years free update they should let me update to the last version before my expire date which was August 2021 update. But this is not their logic and I'm still on the 2019 map.

Yep- have to read and ask when you buy so you know to do your updates regularly and get what you paid for.

I never did my update either, and I knew about it lol. Any OEM nav system at this price point is not going to be better than Google Maps on a mobile device, with offline maps downloaded.

Back