Has Mazda changed their mind and included the NAV System on the 2020 GT and Reserve?

Anyone knows if the SD card service expired after 3 years, will a new SD card work?
I read online, it's based on the VIN number unless you renew it from Mazda.

Anyone knows if the SD card service expired after 3 years, will a new SD card work?
I read online, it's based on the VIN number unless you renew it from Mazda.
The SD cards do not expire but the free updates do.
You can still purchase updates from Mazda after the 3 free years expire.

Yes, but I think I won't buy any new updates as I have installed car play/android auto. Just in case somewhere I went before has no cell signal.

I'm guessing the question is: will getting a new SD card start another 3 year period of free updates?
I've wondered about this myself.
I'm in my third year now, and have maybe one free update left (depending on when it comes out).
Rather than pay for future updates, can I get a new card and get another 3 years out of it?

Yes, but I think I won't buy any new updates as I have installed car play/android auto. Just in case somewhere I went before has no cell signal.
If there's no cell signal, then there's no NAV on your phone, I would guess.
The car uses satellites, and I've never been anywhere where the NAV doesn't work.
Cell phones can be unreliable at times, and expensive.
For me, using my cell phone when I'm out of town, or out of the country, means the roaming charges can be prohibitive.
At least with Sat Nav, you're never getting dinged for network charges.

I had my car serviced at the dealer today.

My sales guy confirmed that NAV is only included with the Signature. Everyone else pays an up-charge.

The 3rd party Nav card sellers thank Mazda for this!
It still astounds me, because you lose Traffic Sign Recognition without the NAV card. That really reduces the utility of the HUD. You don't even get the posted speed limit!

I can understand that a lot of folks use 3rd party nav software via their phones, but for goodness sake, how much do you think that card costs Mazda in the quantities they buy them?

I had a related conversation with the sales guy today. There is so much on a technical level that Mazda gets right, and then there are little things that are highly visible that they trip over themselves on.

It still astounds me, because you lose Traffic Sign Recognition without the NAV card. That really reduces the utility of the HUD. You don't even get the posted speed limit!

I can understand that a lot of folks use 3rd party nav software via their phones, but for goodness sake, how much do you think that card costs Mazda in the quantities they buy them?

I had a related conversation with the sales guy today. There is so much on a technical level that Mazda gets right, and then there are little things that are highly visible that they trip over themselves on.

Exactly. Plus the competition offers baked in SATNAV in addition to AA/CP. This move to limit the Mazda NAV SD card to just the top trim is head scratching.

Exactly. Plus the competition offers baked in SATNAV in addition to AA/CP. This move to limit the Mazda NAV SD card to just the top trim is head scratching.
Well, as you know, it's not limited to the top trim. You can pay extra for it. (Just don't rely on the Build & Price website to help you through that, because it's screwed up on this accessory.)

But it's bad optics. It feels like you're being nickled & dimed.

And if I test-drove a car that had the NAV card in it and saw all the stuff displayed on the HUD (as I did in 2018), then bought a car and later found out that the HUD ain't really got all that, I would feel taken advantage of. Who would ever think that the TSR is an extra-cost item? I bet it rarely gets mentioned during the pitch.

Bad Mazda.
Bad, bad Mazda.

I had a 2019 Reserve that was totaled about a month ago. Since the car saved my ass and I loved the way it drove, I wanted to get the same exact one. They didn't have any 2019 GTR's left and when I looked at the 2020, I remembered Avoidin Deer telling us that they removed the NAV card. They confirmed that it was only included in the Signature for 2020.

I for one loved having the traffic sign recognition on the HUD. After parking my 2019 in my narrow, crowded garage, I also liked the idea of the 360 camera and front and rear parking sensors. The paddle shifters were also calling me too :). So, I went with the 2020 Signature. I'd rather have the gray headliner and black leather seats, but other than that I love the Signature.

In my opinion Mazda would be better off giving more choices in the Signature (interior color options) for an up-charge than removing features from the Reserve.

I had a 2019 Reserve that was totaled about a month ago. Since the car saved my ass and I loved the way it drove, I wanted to get the same exact one. They didn't have any 2019 GTR's left and when I looked at the 2020, I remembered Avoidin Deer telling us that they removed the NAV card. They confirmed that it was only included in the Signature for 2020.

I for one loved having the traffic sign recognition on the HUD. After parking my 2019 in my narrow, crowded garage, I also liked the idea of the 360 camera and front and rear parking sensors. The paddle shifters were also calling me too :). So, I went with the 2020 Signature. I'd rather have the gray headliner and black leather seats, but other than that I love the Signature.

In my opinion Mazda would be better off giving more choices in the Signature (interior color options) for an up-charge than removing features from the Reserve.
I had my car serviced yesterday and they gave me a diesel for a loaner. Maybe I'd like the 360° camera if I got used to it, but I found it to be a distraction. It was set so that it came on with a "Beware of your surroundings" whenever a car pulled up alongside. I had to turn it off.

But like all of these features, its usability is environment-dependent.

Regarding TSR, it's really nice to know you haven't missed a Speed Limit change...or that the car has picked one up that you did miss, especially if you're in an unfamiliar area. The benefit of showing your speed on the HUD without the speed limit being next to it is somewhat diminished.

We just installed this SD card in our 2020 CX-5 GTR
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

With that card in place, the nav works, traffic signs and speed "limits" show up on the dash and the HUD.
Seems to work fine - not bad for under $40.
(thanks to "evo-usa" for pointing me in the right direction on this)

We will probably try updating the maps in the next week or so:
https://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/navigation-updatemymaps?language=en-US
I wonder if it's possible to install a new card when the free updates have expired on the old one. I believe it's been discussed here already. I forget what the prevailing opinion is. $40 for 3 years is likely way less expensive that you're gonna pay.

I had my car serviced yesterday and they gave me a diesel for a loaner. Maybe I'd like the 360° camera if I got used to it, but I found it to be a distraction. It was set so that it came on with a "Beware of your surroundings" whenever a car pulled up alongside. I had to turn it off.

Regarding TSR, it's really nice to know you haven't missed a Speed Limit change...or that the car has picked one up that you did miss, especially if you're in an unfamiliar area. The benefit of showing your speed on the HUD without the speed limit being next to it is somewhat diminished.

Question as I have the GT without HUD. My NAV screen shows speed limits and I've noticed it will change right after passing a posted limit sign if it changes....ie: 40mph, then I pass a 35mph sign the Nav screen quickly makes the change.
On a HUD equipped car is it just displaying that same info from the screen....only adding stop signs using the camera?

I couldn't agree with you more on the speed limit showing up on the HUD - especially when I'm not sure of the neighborhood I'm driving in. The 2020's now have added the TSR function to the dashboard too, not just the HUD - it's on the right hand side of the speedometer above the fuel notices. The stop sign or speed limit sign appear there. They've also added a little red line on the speedometer itself, letting you know the speed limit there too. It's similar to the green line you see when you set your speed on the adaptive cruise control. Next time I have a passenger in the car I'll have them take a picture.

I can see where the 360 camera can be a distraction if you're not careful. I did notice it go off once or twice while driving in traffic because I must have crept too close to the car in front of me. I just use it to pull in the garage. My single car garage is really narrow and I had to constantly check to see if I was too close on the passenger side when parking. It's a nice to have, not a need to have.

... Maybe I'd like the 360° camera if I got used to it, but I found it to be a distraction. It was set so that it came on with a "Beware of your surroundings" whenever a car pulled up alongside. I had to turn it off.

That's odd. Ours does not do that.

Question as I have the GT without HUD. My NAV screen shows speed limits and I've noticed it will change right after passing a posted limit sign if it changes....ie: 40mph, then I pass a 35mph sign the Nav screen quickly makes the change.
On a HUD equipped car is it just displaying that same info from the screen....only adding stop signs using the camera?

The HUD continuously displays a picture of a Speed Limit sign with the speed on it, just as you would see it on the road (the pictures reside on the NAV card, they are not renditions of each specific style sign the camera sees) The camera recognizes the sign and the speed limit that's posted on it. The system also draws from the speed limits that reside in the NAV database (I'm not certain how conflicts between the camera and the database are resolved.) There are roads that have no signs and are not in the database (many of them around me.) In those cases, nothing is displayed.

There is one 55 MPH stretch of road near me where the speed limit on the HUD changes to 45MPH when there's been no new posted limit. It stays that was for maybe a mile, then changes back. It happens on the same stretch of road going both ways. I assume the database is pulling from old data when the limit was reduced at that area for some reason, and the speed limit there has since changed.

Excerpts from the manual:

The TSR displays the speed limit, do not enter, and traffic stop signs. If the vehicle speed exceeds the speed limit sign indicated in the active driving display while the vehicle is driven, the system notifies the driver using the indication in the active driving display and a warning sound.

Speed limit signs

>When the vehicle speed is about 1 km/h (0.6 mph) or faster, the speed limit sign is displayed when any one of the following conditions are met.
>>The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) recognizes a speed limit sign as a sign targeted for your vehicle and the vehicle passes it.
>>The speed limit sign stored in the navigation system is read (if the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) does not recognize a speed limit sign).

>In the following cases, display of the speed limit sign stops.
>>The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) recognizes the speed limit sign and the vehicle is driven for a certain distance after passing the sign.
>>Each sensor determines that the vehicle has changed direction of travel.
>>The Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) recognizes a new speed limit sign which differs from the previous one (displays the new speed limit sign).
>>The speed limit sign stored in the navigation system is not read within a certain period of time (if the Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) does not recognize a speed limit sign, the speed limit sign stored in the navigation system is displayed).
>>The vehicle speed exceeds the displayed speed limit sign by 30 km/h (19 mph) or more after a certain period of time has elapsed since the speed limit sign was displayed. (Except when there is information for the speed limit sign in the navigation system)

Last edited:

Yes - on the HUD as you pass a speed limit sign with a new speed, the speed limit sign in the HUD will change just like on the Infotainment screen. As you come up to a stop sign, the stop sign appears. (I'm not sure if that's tied to GPS or to the camera.) The stop sign appears a little late though - often times I'm already stopped by the time it appears.

Back