Has anyone cut the stock springs?

skallen

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Has anyone cut the stock springs to lower their car? I know it's ghetto, but I really hate the massive wheel gap. And I am poor as s*** right now and my money situation doesn't look any better for quite a while. I just want to lose the wheel gap. I know body roll will be more pronounced due to the welfare shocks on this car. I'm willing to take that gamble. Anyone???

Don't.
It destroys the geometry of the spring, and can actually bind the coil under hard corner loads, causing your steering not to return, and possibly causing an accident.

Double don't. The way the spring perches in this car in the front(having just had it all apart) is determined by the way the spring coils at each end. You can't just easily cut inches off here, as in another car.

Plus, you open it and you'll find ways to spend money you don't have, either by breaking something or realising stuff in there (the bad shocks likely) are already broken. I just replaced my shocks at 25,000 miles and one was completely blown and empty out back and one strut up front was headed that way, with irregular damping. No autocross, no accidents, just crappy budget stock shocks.

I concur, just save your money and get yourself a set of used springs on the board, there are enough people changing things up all the time to pick up a good set at a affordable price.!!

OK...thanks guys. I was just curious because I've done it to all the Hondas I've owned and it worked out quite well. Something told me though, that this car was gonna be different. I guess I'll hold out for a set of Roadmagnets due to there extreme cheapness. I had money saved for a set of coilovers, but I ended up having to spend it on other s***. Also, Darth, would you really recommend the shocks you just got? Do you think they would work well with a set of lowering springs?

They are distinctly firmer in damping than the stockers but, I can only speak to them working very well with the stock springs since, that's what I have. My experiment was to see if I could get MZ5 shocks to work in a Speed, yours might be to test if they'll work with lowering springs.

Frankly, the two great weaknesses this car has, out of the box, are the too-stiff RE50s and the factory shocks. the rest of the suspension and chassis are pretty good.

Please don't cut your springs! This isn't a Honda, do it right the first time and you will be happier with results.

If you're broke then modding a car should be on the last your list.

And my advice in car modding is to use disposable cash. If you're saving up to mod a car, then you're doing it wrong.

Back