Hands free is locked - need help unlocking

nothing in the owners manual such as a notation in the manual? scrap of paper ? I know on Ford vehicles equipped with the keyless entry option on the drivers door, the code is on a sticker hidden somewhere. Suggest taking the radio out, or th BT unit, and taking a peek. You could also search the other forums on this site to see if anyone with another model (CX7/9, a 6, etc) had same issue.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write back.

I have a 2008 Mazda CX-9 with a navigation touch screen. The radio buttons are electronic and are integrated into the touch screen. They are not analog buttons as have been shown/described in this thread about resetting the hands-free security code. I have tried pressing the radio power button and the 'seek down' button along with pressing '5' on the navigation screen. I also have followed up these steps with pressing the 'Auto-M' button and then number '2', both of which are on the Nav screen. This has not reset the security code. Does anyone know the steps to clear the code with an electronic navigation screen? View attachment 223207
I just brought home my used 2009 GT w/ navi this week. I wanted to setup the bluetooth connection to my blackberry. I discovered that the previous owner had enabled a passcode for the bluetooth. I couldn't access any of the bluetooth setup features without this code. I couldn't find anything in the manual about resetting the bluetooth passcode so I called Mazda handsfree support. I'll share the process of removing the code:

1) Turn on car and set sound source to AM/FM radio.

2) Push in the volume (power) and tune (audio) knobs at the same time

3) You should now see a "failure analysis" screen on the nav

4) Type in the two-digit code "39" and hit enter

5) The nav will ask you if you want to reset the code. Hit enter to confirm.

6) Finally push the volume (power) knob to return to the map.

The bluetooth code is now removed. The phone device settings and phone book are still intact. I hope this saves someone else a couple hours of head scratching. :)

This also works on the Mazda CX7 with touch screen navigation display.

Last edited:
I just brought home my used 2009 GT w/ navi this week. I wanted to setup the bluetooth connection to my blackberry. I discovered that the previous owner had enabled a passcode for the bluetooth. I couldn't access any of the bluetooth setup features without this code. I couldn't find anything in the manual about resetting the bluetooth passcode so I called Mazda handsfree support. I'll share the process of removing the code:

1) Turn on car and set sound source to AM/FM radio.

2) Push in the volume (power) and tune (audio) knobs at the same time

3) You should now see a "failure analysis" screen on the nav

4) Type in the two-digit code "39" and hit enter

5) The nav will ask you if you want to reset the code. Hit enter to confirm.

6) Finally push the volume (power) knob to return to the map.

The bluetooth code is now removed. The phone device settings and phone book are still intact. I hope this saves someone else a couple hours of head scratching. :)

This also works on the Mazda CX7 with touch screen navigation display.
Thanks for the share! Posted a link to your post in our Resources section...

We just picked up a 2012 5 with the same locked issue.

1. Startwith the radio on, car power on. Attempt to access the voice command, attempt to give it a passcode, tell it to cancel when it asks again.
2. Turn radio off, hold power, seek down, preset 5. "M-02" appears above. You might have to try steps 1 and 2 a few times.
3. Press and hold auto-m and preset 2. We had to do this a bunch of times for it to take, but the main was having "m-02" displayed above. It said "cleared" when it took.

Everything is good from there. Much easier to setup bluetooth with voice command. Not our first Mazda.

I got It for a 2009 cx7.
Car running, radio off. Press radio Power, 5, seek down at the same time, wait until display show password clear.

Back