Hail Storm Test - Involuntary Of Course

So in these cases, the car is usually totaled?

I have had two cars walloped by hail. One was totaled after golf balls pounded it for 20 minutes, breaking a tail light and a side mirror. The other was less damaged, but still came in at over $8000 in 2008. That was repaired and repainted.

The window and rail hits look pretty large - not golf ball sized. It's often the case some bigger chunks are mixed in lesser quantities. The same storm that pounded my last Mazda put a baseball sized chunk through a living room window. I was fortunate as my western facing neighbors had nearly every window in that direction blown out.

So in these cases, the car is usually totaled?
I have had two cars walloped by hail. One was totaled after golf balls pounded it for 20 minutes, breaking a tail light and a side mirror. The other was less damaged, but still came in at over $8000 in 2008. That was repaired and repainted.
Newer cars are harder to get totaled by hail damage as the book values are higher. My friend's 2015 CX-5 Touring had more severe damage: breaking both tail lights and both side mirrors! The roof needed to get replaced too. But he got $10,000 for damages, far off from the book value, supposedly at $18,000; not totaled.

The window and rail hits look pretty large - not golf ball sized. It's often the case some bigger chunks are mixed in lesser quantities. The same storm that pounded my last Mazda put a baseball sized chunk through a living room window. I was fortunate as my western facing neighbors had nearly every window in that direction blown out.
Exactly!

How come MikeM did not comment on how terrific the Mazda engineering is whereby using thin sheets of metal Mazda has achieved maximum flexibility so much so that hail or rain the body will pop back to normal within few days/years and none of this is required?

How come MikeM did not comment on how terrific the Mazda engineering is whereby using thin sheets of metal Mazda has achieved maximum flexibility so much so that hail or rain the body will pop back to normal within few days/years and none of this is required?

Why do you have such a hard-on for me? Why do make stuff up out of thin air?

You are ridiculous.

Wow... I feel your pain... I don't have as much as a single door ding in mine.
Thanks, Kedis82ZE8! I'm really getting tired of these severe weather thing! We just had a whole new roof two years ago, now I may need another one! Not only we keep having our premium increased every year, but also the insurance company had sent us a letter after the new roof replacement that they'll drop our policy if there is another claim!

I sure wish Mazda engineers could invent such sheet metal that those hail nicks will pop back to normal within few days! I'd be the Mazda loyalist for the rest of my life!

My wife commented on the cracked windshield today while we're driving that the glass is so thin by looking at the crack lines and she feels this CX-5's windshield is so unsafe! And she can feel ALL cracked lines from inside too! Our VW Passat has a hair-line crack but I can never feel the crack line from inside of the windshield. The windshield is supposed to be laminated - it is held in place by an interlayer between its two layers of glass. So when outside layer of glass cracked, the inside layer of glass shouldn't be cracked at exact same lines matching ALL cracked lines on outer layer. This is very strange. This windshield seems to be a single layer glass! I'll for sure save some samples when our windshield gets replaced. Yep, almost $700 for the windshield alone and haven't checked if it's out of stock as some people had experienced before.

Last edited:
My CX-5 took $1900 worth of hail damage last year...hood, roof and the little piece right behind the spoiler...Luckily it was fixed with a paint free process called PDR.

My CX-5 took $1900 worth of hail damage last year...hood, roof and the little piece right behind the spoiler...Luckily it was fixed with a paint free process called PDR.
I'm looking for PDR repair too. But there're too many nicks on hood and insurance went ahead quoted a new hood but I'm willing to pay extra using PDR to fix the hood if possible. But the largest dent on right rail did break the paint, hence repainting seems to be inevitable. I might choose touch up paint, simply to keep factory paint as much as I can.

The windshield is supposed to be laminated - it is held in place by an interlayer between its two layers of glass. So when outside layer of glass cracked, the inside layer of glass shouldn't be cracked at exact same lines matching ALL cracked lines on outer layer. This is very strange. This windshield seems to be a single layer glass! I'll for sure save some samples when our windshield gets replaced.

You are wrong about that. Windshields are required to be laminated safety glass and the CX-5 meets the standards. You claim the inner layer and outer layer shouldn't crack with matching lines but that is wrong. The inner and outer layers are bonded together with a flexible membrane like all modern cars use and it's not at all uncommon for the inner and outer layers to fracture in the same place. Simple physics. There's nothing strange about that and it's not clear why you find it suspicious.

Last edited:
My wife commented on the cracked windshield today while we're driving that the glass is so thin by looking at the crack lines and she feels this CX-5's windshield is so unsafe! And she can feel ALL cracked lines from inside too! Our VW Passat has a hair-line crack but I can never feel the crack line from inside of the windshield. The windshield is supposed to be laminated - it is held in place by an interlayer between its two layers of glass. So when outside layer of glass cracked, the inside layer of glass shouldn't be cracked at exact same lines matching ALL cracked lines on outer layer. This is very strange. This windshield seems to be a single layer glass! I'll for sure save some samples when our windshield gets replaced. Yep, almost $700 for the windshield alone and haven't checked if it's out of stock as some people had experienced before.

Naw, nothing abnormal about the windshield. Thinner glass than years past is for weight savings and is now standard among all manufacturers. Check your side windows, they're pretty thin too. Advances in glass manufacturing make it possible to do without sacrificing strength. If there was anything unsafe about this, IIHS/NTSA testing would have long ago uncovered it during routine crash tests.

Some more info on thin windshields: http://www.ai-online.com/Adv/Previous/show_issue.php?id=5924#sthash.cDm6O4lU.dpbs

Naw, nothing abnormal about the windshield. Thinner glass than years past is for weight savings and is now standard among all manufacturers. Check your side windows, they're pretty thin too. Advances in glass manufacturing make it possible to do without sacrificing strength. If there was anything unsafe about this, IIHS/NTSA testing would have long ago uncovered it during routine crash tests.

Some more info on thin windshields: http://www.ai-online.com/Adv/Previous/show_issue.php?id=5924#sthash.cDm6O4lU.dpbs

Good article on recent advancements!
Well worth the read.

You've mentioned the reason why the only windshield got damaged in my "hail storm test" is because the new windshield is thinner. But the article says Sekurits, the largest windshield company in Europe, latest technology on thin windshield in fact improves the stone-impact-resistance of windshields.

I've had a car totaled by hail before (pocketed most of the money and kept driving it). And my last Mazda spent a month in the shop after being beaned by tennis ball sized hail one night. That storm pitched ice through my house windows. Here's the thing though, the sheet metal and glass on all modern cars is thinner than even a handful of years ago due to the desire to reduce weight and increase mpg. This of course means hail will beat the crap out of it.

My suspicion falls on why the five 3~4-foot long hairline cracks on inner and outer layers of glass are all perfectly matched to each other ! As I said, I've seen several long hair-line cracks on laminated windshields, none of them looked like this. The cracks for inner and outer layers of glass are developing and growing by themselves, they simply don't interfere each other.

Sorry about the hail damage...

I just knew it was coming for my wife's CX-5. We were out and about that evening, around 9PM in Keller (at the pediatric urgent care clinic no less), watching that funnel cloud droop down above our neighborhood. I've got the Buick and my Mazda in our garage at home, but I make my wife park in the driveway. Lol! So, it's always vulnerable. Needless to say, didn't see a single stone, and didn't see a funnel touch down either. It was a tad over hyped, but my 9 month old with the flu that evening wasn't helping the rather hysteric atmosphere in the pediatric clinic either. Boy, what a night.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You've mentioned the reason why the only windshield got damaged in my "hail storm test" is because the new windshield is thinner. But the article says Sekurit’s, the largest windshield company in Europe, latest technology on thin windshield in fact improves the stone-impact-resistance of windshields.

My suspicion falls on why the five 3~4-foot long hairline cracks on inner and outer layers of glass are all perfectly matched to each other ! As I said, I've seen several long hair-line cracks on laminated windshields, none of them looked like this. The cracks for inner and outer layers of glass are developing and growing by themselves, they simply don't interfere each other.

No, your windshield was damaged because it was hit by a big ass piece of hail. Hail can easily break glass. I saw news pictures of cars from that storm - you got off easy.

Back