Had a cx7 2008 just bought the cx9

Aarondermo

:
2017 cx9 now 2008 cx7 before
Does anyone know if the new cx9 is the same 2.5 turbo they put in the cx7...i hope not and the sales guy assured me the turbo and timing chain issues from cx7 are a thing of the past.....

That’s the same 2.3 ecoboost that ford poached from Mazda that still has issues

Does anyone know if the new cx9 is the same 2.5 turbo they put in the cx7...i hope not and the sales guy assured me the turbo and timing chain issues from cx7 are a thing of the past.....

It's an entirely different engine.

No, that first CX-7 engine design had the 2.3L turbo also used in the Mazdaspeed3 and Mazdaspeed6. Later CX-7's were given a non-turbo 2.5 motor.

The all new CX-9 has an all new Skyactiv 2.5L turbo engine.

Nope. It is called iSkyActive-G. The new engine is probably one of the first times I can say Mass Produced Work of Art and actually do it with a straight face.

I like my new engine. (cabpatch) Prior to buying mine, I watched many YouTube reviewers complained about the exhaust note. I like my exhaust note. Sounds like a young mountain lion when I get on the throttle.

Fuel economy seems to be improving, too. Not sure if that is due to switching to Amsoil 5w30, using Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel tank, using Amsoil PI, being beyond the break in period or all of the above. Cold engine starts are a bit smoother, slightly quicker and more quiet. Hot engine shutdowns are a bit quieter and smoother as well. Love hearing the little turbo blow-off - sounds perfect for CX-9 and gives me a reason to roll down the windows from time to time. Do I wish it were a six cylinder? Yes - who would not. Am I unhappy that it is a boosted 4 banger? Absolutely, not. Throttle response is good, tip in is good and if you drive it right by staging the throttle just a bit, it rewards you with near zero turbo lag and some bookmarked low end grunt.

Your gonna appreciate this engine and the engineering that went into making it. Congrats, by the way on your new 9. Did you get the Sig?

Last edited:
Back