Guidance volume setting factory NAV

Hello, does anybody know how to maintain the volume level on the guidance for the factory GPS? Seems like everytime its set and I adjust the volume of the music, the next time I use the GPS the guidance voice is lower. I tried turned the music off and only listening to voice guidance, but it was much quieter than how I set it. Then turned the volume back on and the music was able to adjust but not the GPS, I had to go back into NAV and manually adjust it again.

Thanks

So when you go back into the Volume Settings, are you saying that the Guidance Volume slider (Low----High) is in a different position than you set it before? I've not had that happen.

Here's the only thing that I've noticed. This may not be what you're asking...

I believe that the radio only turns down a certain amount when the Guidance Voice speaks. In other words, on a Radio Volume Scale of 1 to 10, the radio might turn down by an amount of 2 when the Guidance Voice speaks, regardless of where the radio volume is set.

So if the radio is set at 5 and the Guidance Voice speaks, the radio turns down to 3.
If the radio is at 9 when the Guidance Voice speaks, the radio turns down to 7 (meaning at this volume it drowns out the Voice).

The Guidance Voice is a set volume and does not speak louder relative to a louder radio volume, and the radio does not turn all the way down to a set volume so the Guidance Voice can always be heard...the radio volume only decreases by a set amount when the Voice speaks.

The only other thing I see in the manual (Pg. 5-51) is a way to set the voice guidance for the phone. I'm not certain that this is a subset of (or overrides) the generic Guidance Volume.

If this does not help, I can go out tomorrow and play with it in the car to see if I can help you figure this out.

What you're describing has irked me in both my 2015 and 2017 CX-5. In every other car's GPS system I've used the volume of the GPS voice is relative to the volume of the audio system, such that the GPS volume was always a relative loudness to the audio system's level. The way it's fixed in the Mazda system is pretty poor engineering. The fact that it only reduces the volume of the driver's side speakers while leaving all the other speakers at full output during an announcement makes it pretty useless when you have the music cranked up. You can of course turn up the GPS volume to compensate, but then when you turn down the audio volume the GPS is screaming at you like a banshee. Why ALL the speakers don't reduce volume and then play the GPS announcement through all the speakers is a pretty bad piece of real world engineering oversight.

As it happens I stopped by a dealer today to look at the new 2020 CX-5 since my lease will be up later this year and asked if anyone knew if Mazda might have corrected this goof up, and no one had an answer. I'll have to try driving one to find out I guess.

As it happens I stopped by a dealer today to look at the new 2020 CX-5 since my lease will be up later this year and asked if anyone knew if Mazda might have corrected this goof up, and no one had an answer. I'll have to try driving one to find out I guess.
They fixed the goof up by making NAV an option in every trim but the Signature.

So now they can say "You asked for it!" ;)

Interesting. The guy I talked to said it was standard in a GT, but I see no mention of any nav system on the 2020's, just Apple and Android connectivity. So now I'm confused...

Interesting. The guy I talked to said it was standard in a GT, but I see no mention of any nav system on the 2020's, just Apple and Android connectivity. So now I'm confused...
Now I'M confused.

This is from Mazda's Build & Price website:

The Signature Summary

• In addition to or replaces Sport, Touring, Grand Touring, and Grand Touring Reserve features:
  • 19" aluminum-alloy wheels with Dark Silver finish and P225/55 R19 all-season tires
  • Signature badge
  • Frameless auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink®20
  • LED lighting for glovebox, cargo area and vanity mirrors
  • Unique overhead console with LED room light and down light
  • Mazda Navigation System
  • SiriusXM® 3-year Traffic and Travel Link subscription* includes current information for:
  • - Traffic
  • - Weather
  • - Sports scores
  • - Fuel prices
  • - Nearby parking or parking by destination
  • Caturra Brown Nappa leather-trimmed seats
  • Genuine Layered wood trim
  • Leather-wrapped steering wheel with unique stitching
  • Black cloth headliner
  • 360º View Monitor26
  • Front and rear parking sensors27
So according to this, only the Signature has the NAV system. This is how it has been ever since the 2020s were listed on the site.

When I went through the Accessories before, all trims but the Reserve showed the NAV System as being an extra-cost Accessory, even though the NAV system was not listed as standard on the Reserve. I notified their Customer Service of the omission, they agreed that the NAV needed to be listed as a Reserve Accessory, but they never fixed it.

Today I look at the Accessories and see that the NAV System is now not an accessory for the GT, meaning that it must be included. But the Summary (list of features) has not been updated to include it.

So maybe they changed their minds.

I think I might have to drop by the dealer and try to get a definitive answer. They should have a card to match any GT in stock if it comes with the car (Mazda's site does show that as part of the 2019 GT) , or be able to show it as an option if it's a separate part of the deal. Or maybe it's now part of the Premium GT Package? Confusion reigns! :unsure:

I was gonna ask my dealer. I need to schedule service. Personally, I think it may have changed, and their website has yet to be updated.

As I said, it was dropped as an Accessory from the GT "Build & Price," so something happened.

Back