GT Tech Package....regrets?

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD
Ok, I already know a bunch of people will say the GT tech. package is worth the cost (I've already heard from some people in another thread).

Is there anyone who regrets getting the GT tech. package?

I'm holding back because I don't like the idea of SCBS malfunctioning on me or the cost to replace the LED headlights (should I ever need to).

Thanks!

No regrets at all here. You have legitimate concerns though regarding those high tech items.

That's the way many new cars are becoming now. So much tech to break. New hud system in the 2017. Probably awesome but I can't imagine the costs to fix something like that down the road.

But to your question, I think it's still worth it for sure. LED lights make driving so much safer at night. Especially down really dark roads.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I got the Tech package specifically because of the LED headlights.

THEY ARE AWESOME.

I got the Tech package specifically because of the LED headlights.

THEY ARE AWESOME.
So did I.
I really doubt you will find anyone regretting it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You're gonna Love it! Great choice.

Haven't bought one yet but I'm looking at this mid level (GS in Canada) when diesels come out.

There's a few things I'd 'like' from the GT like the better stereo and the seat memory but they're not 'must haves' especially a $3500CAD increase. And I'd actually prefer the 17" wheels and tires of the GS anyway. I can add a sub to the stereo lol

The HUD looks pretty cool but again, not sure I 'need' it and at another $1600CAD for that package on top of the above $3500....meh.

Why are so many people concerned about high tech features? Is there a common issue with new tech in Mazda's or are people just betting that they'll be problematic because they're new? I had a 1990 Nissan 240sx that had a working HUD 20 years after it was built. No issues with it at all.

Why are so many people concerned about high tech features? Is there a common issue with new tech in Mazda's or are people just betting that they'll be problematic because they're new? I had a 1990 Nissan 240sx that had a working HUD 20 years after it was built. No issues with it at all.
Because many of these new features are brand new for Mazda. So yes, it is 100% reasonable to keep that in mind. That being said, I trust Mazda enough to have bought a cx5 with the tech package. Plus the features are awesome.

Ok, thanks....just put in my order for a 2016.5 in Soul Red GT with Tech. There's no going back now!
Yep, great decision! Next time you see those CX-5 GT with yellow high-beam DRLs that can make you laugh! Did I mention you also gets different Type A instrument cluster with GT Tech? The odometer is at where it supposed to be with speedometer, and the fuel gauge looks more resembling to real analog fuel gauge!

No known issues, NervousZ. Just trepidation at the possible replacement cost. A replacement headlight is $1,300!
If you're really worried about longevity, don't use auto headlights. I turn mine off occasionally during the day when it's real nice out.
I don't think my SCBS works (joking). I've gotten pretty close to my garage or my wife's car just to get it to work. How close do you have to be?!? LOL. Closer then I'm willing to test apparently. Keeping my eye out for big cardboard boxes to really test it. Haha
This can also be disabled permanently in settings.

Last edited:
No known issues, NervousZ. Just trepidation at the possible replacement cost. A replacement headlight is $1,300!
If you're really worried about longevity, don't use auto headlights. I turn mine off occasionally during the day when it's real nice out.
I don't think my SCBS works (joking). I've gotten pretty close to my garage or my wife's car just to get it to work. How close do you have to be?!? LOL. Closer then I'm willing to test apparently. Keeping my eye out for big cardboard boxes to really test it. Haha
This can also be disabled permanently in settings. Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about wearing out the auto headlights. Have them in my 2008 Escape and the car is ALWAYS in auto mode. Not replaced either of them... and these are incandescent.

Last edited:
No regrets at all here. You have legitimate concerns though regarding those high tech items.

That's the way many new cars are becoming now. So much tech to break. New hud system in the 2017. Probably awesome but I can't imagine the costs to fix something like that down the road.

But to your question, I think it's still worth it for sure. LED lights make driving so much safer at night. Especially down really dark roads.

At least if the HUD breaks, the car is still probably fine. I could imagine some of the features, if they break, could render the car unsafe to drive unless fixed and Mazda may be the only option for repair.

I'm currently driving a 2000 Acura I bought new, I like to repair it myself (probably unusual for these forums, seems like people like new cars every few years). Hopefully I'll still be able to get parts and fix a bunch of these things and save some money and be more at one with my Mazda for it. Its going to be an adjustment, since Honda parts are so easy to come by.

Because high tech features don't lend themselves to buying inexpensive used/rebuilt or quality aftermarket parts and swapping them in from the home garage.

I would have regretted not getting it, but I'm always a all or nothing kind of person so I went fully loaded.

Alex on autos a popular YouTube reviewer said cx5 has hands down the best transmission under 40k cuv, also the best headlights/taillights. So LED lights are imo one of the best features of a CX-5. Most aftermarket ones wont last long. Hell look at reviews for led fogs and you will see they die in a year.
Not to mention almost 99% getting aftermarket LEDs don't aim them well enough and go with weird extra bright ones blinding incoming traffic.

This can also be disabled permanently in settings.

SCBS (rear or front) can not be disabled permanently in settings - at least, not in Aus models. As far as I can work it out.

I have to disable mine when I am backing my boat trailer, otherwise it slams the brakes on!

But once the car is turned off, next time it is started, SCBS resets and defaults to "on" again. I cant see an option to turn it off permanently - not that I would want to do that, anyway.

Just re the LED headlights, dont forget that they were first used on the CX5's starting with MY16, released in mid-late 2015. Thye did have a few issues with the first gen, as per the white flaky residue inside and some LED's failing, but that was addressed quickly and I havent seen reports of replaced units having any issues.

So theyve been around on the Mazdas for a couple of years now, in other parts of the world if not in the US, as have nearly all of the other hi-tec features that are now being included on many variants as standard. Some have been tweaked or further enhanced on MY17 but the core technology isnt new, and looks pretty solid.

And by the way, the LED headlight units cost $1995 each here in Aus, and the whole front bumper/grille of the car has to be taken off to replace them. Not a 15 minute job.

One final comment - the LED headlights are really excellent - especially if you have the adaptive LED option It works brilliantly, you can turn high beam on and it detects cars coming towards you and drops the lights down very quickly, same if you comeup behind another car. Then when they are gone the headlights go back onto high beam.

I was sceptical about how well they would work, but it truly is very quick and very good. At the same time the lighting to the sides/kerb is very good. The video below is quite realistic on how well they work.

https://www.mazda.com.au/imagination-drives-us/safety-adaptive-led-headlamps/

Last edited:
Back