GT-R (turbo) vs. Hybrid CR-V ??

Thx all!

Tell me more abou cargo space usability - do the R. seats fold flat?

is the cargo space longer?

The CRV floor has the option of moving up or down. Pull the cargo floor panel out and it can sit on ridges so it becomes flat with seats folded down. Less vertical space though, maybe couple inches? If you want the small bit of vertical back, u drop the floor.

One nice thing is the CRV tailgate isn't raked nearly as much as others. More a square butt. Less sporty, more usable. So how long it is or isn't tailgate to seat back in an SUV is deceptive. So much of my cx9 cargo length isnt usable above the bottom of the rear windshield. Carrying a flat box a few inches high, or 2x4s, or a keyboard, you can use all the length. Carrying an assembled dresser, you end up not being able to close tailgate as the windshield hits the top edge of the dresser. cx5 seems pretty angled to me in pics. I know in cx9 that windshield starts to angle down from roof a good ft and a half from the back of the tailgate, so you lose a good amount of airspace at rear.

Shape of opening is another thing, I'd need to measure but seems like CRV opening is wider at top compared to my cx9 (which i assume is itself wider than cx5 but I'm assuming). I can check for sure, but cx9 is out right now.

But what's imp for me is height of cargo area UNDER the cargo cover. I don't like prying eyes. Again, seems insane, but the itty bitty CRV has about 22 in of vertical height under the cargo cover. My cx9 has about 15 in. There was a thread on that this winter, a member Martino was looking at cargo specifics. Again,the cx5 I'm not sure, maybe someone can run and measure. Cx9 has the folded 3rd row which works against it's vertical space and cx5 doesn't have, but cx9 is a bigger vehicle than the cx5 overall. Even if cx5 equaled cx9 vertical, that a good 7 inches more height under the cargo cover of the CRV.

The CRV has a ton of cargo space, however the question would be how many times are you going to be packing the cargo area? We have a CRV at work which we use to move stuff around and while the cargo space is great, I've never had to stuff it to the max. If we had a CX-5, despite having less cargo room than the CRV it would work well for us as well.

The biggest difference in interior space between the 2 IMO is the rear leg room. There is just a ton more in the CRV than the CX-5. Great if you have taller passengers but if it just small kids it will be fine.

The CRV has a ton of cargo space, however the question would be how many times are you going to be packing the cargo area? We have a CRV at work which we use to move stuff around and while the cargo space is great, I've never had to stuff it to the max. If we had a CX-5, despite having less cargo room than the CRV it would work well for us as well.

The biggest difference in interior space between the 2 IMO is the rear leg room. There is just a ton more in the CRV than the CX-5. Great if you have taller passengers but if it just small kids it will be fine.

Rear seat space is great point too. We have rear facing car seat that is quite large and not only does it fit, but if youve ever tried to install one you know the space required to maneuver/push/belt/strap it in is appreciated.

I tried one of our smaller car seats at the dealer in the cx5. It fit...barely. I'd be surprised if our big one (It's a Clek Foonf model) would fit.

We're not tall people, wife is 5 ft 8 and...let's just say...I'm bit under that...so if you're a 6 footer and need seat pushed back, you'd be surprised how little space you'll have for car seat. Just a thought for those in that stage of life.

We are road trippers, and we are also the type that say "We might need it, put it in!". Last trip in CRV it was packed. But yes, it's not every day.

And now with cx9, it is the choice for road trips so CRV cargo used even less. But when I need it, I am glad for it.

ok, visited a dealer - on the 2020 EX-L (non-e of course) the seats do fold flat - Length of cargo area (to F. seat back for sleeping inside is only 70" so too short)

only the top trim (Touring) has a heated steering wheel or a kick to open rear hatch

e Hybrids should arrive in April according to salesman

ok, visited a dealer - on the 2020 EX-L (non-e of course) the seats do fold flat - Length of cargo area (to F. seat back for sleeping inside is only 70" so too short)

only the top trim (Touring) has a heated steering wheel or a kick to open rear hatch

e Hybrids should arrive in April according to salesman

If your area allows car dealerships to be open today, they may have some available today.

I'm sure he'd have mentioned it yesterday if they were imminent; instead he told me April.

I'd really like to know the range on the hybrid - mileage is nice; but range is critical.

I'm sure he'd have mentioned it yesterday if they were imminent; instead he told me April.

I'd really like to know the range on the hybrid - mileage is nice; but range is critical.
That's the part that concerns me.

One unanticipated traffic jam and you're screwed. It's like being limited to a maximum of 1/4 of a tank of gas with an ICE. Sounds like perpetual anxiety to me.

I've been looking at crossovers for awhile. I gave up the CX-5 due to road noise for a 2018 Accord Touring (non-hybrid) but the space and ability to go a little bit off road are things I miss.

The CX-5 is fun to think about, but the MPG isn't there, things like lane keeping, the infotainment and I push 20K miles / year so it's pretty much out. I used to fill that thing twice/week sometimes although it's probably quieter now.

I've been waiting for the CRV for awhile but I'm a little bit disappointed although I was pretty sure the MPG numbers would be what they were (not hard to convert from English miles). I'm just not getting the right vibe from the car. My Accord gets those freeway miles and it's got the 19's on it.

The RAV4 Prime, however, if it doesn't rattle my ear drums to deafness and I can fit (a severe problem for me in Toyota's) is looking pretty close to a perfect, on paper, vehicle. The battery would cover a chunk of my commute, I get free charging at work, and it's fast (faster than I want actually). It's a really good direction and it's got a HUD. The size though is a real problem. Toyota tends to slope the roofs and my head hits the handle. The SE, I think, won't have a moonroof, so that's got a shot (no HUD there probably), at least enough to test drive it.

You need to stop putting so much stock in what dealership employees are telling you. They have a surprising lack of knowledge, like the guy who told you it would have 20ish miles of EV range. I Iinked an article a page back and the same one that Sig cx-5 did from Honda corporate that said deliveries are starting March 1. The dealers closest to the Honda plant in Ohio are likely getting them first but all dealers should have at least a handful coming in this month.

Range will be in the 500-550 mile range most likely. The full specs are now live on Honda’s website and it has the same 14 gallon tank as the non-hybrid so 35-40mpg puts the range at 490-560 miles.

Local dealer just got a Touring Hybrid in stock. I'm in FL so there should be ones near most people now.

Alex on Autos just put this out as well that helps explain the system:

Local dealer just got a Touring Hybrid in stock. I'm in FL so there should be ones near most people now.

Alex on Autos just put this out as well that helps explain the system:

Thanks for that.

Interesting he says that the stated peak HP will only be achieved at over 100 MPH due to the drive train design (meaning that few folks--if any--will ever experience it.)

You need to stop putting so much stock in what dealership employees are telling you. They have a surprising lack of knowledge, like the guy who told you it would have 20ish miles of EV range. I Iinked an article a page back and the same one that Sig cx-5 did from Honda corporate that said deliveries are starting March 1. The dealers closest to the Honda plant in Ohio are likely getting them first but all dealers should have at least a handful coming in this month.

Range will be in the 500-550 mile range most likely. The full specs are now live on Honda’s website and it has the same 14 gallon tank as the non-hybrid so 35-40mpg puts the range at 490-560 miles.

They're in stock in these parts (Northern California). A lot of Touring models, the first run is always the expensive versions. When the new Outback released I followed dealer stock for a bit and you could find some of the lower trims but the higher trims were decked with all of the options. Toyota does the same thing, but there, it's hard to figure out what goes where with the way they option things. Mazda's approach is kind of refreshing in that respect.

Thanks for that.

Interesting he says that the stated peak HP will only be achieved at over 100 MPH due to the drive train design (meaning that few folks--if any--will ever experience it.)
Yes, I noticed that. And I've found Alex to one of the most informative and accurate reviewers on YouTube.

Back