GT-R 2019 - Can't drive with only parking lights on?

Well I just tried the 23 second method for turning off the running lights three different times and was unsuccessful. It really is an easy process once you practice once or twice. Still, no joy here. Lights go from parking to DRL as soon as I move forward. Don't know what I could be doing wrong as I easily finished the sequence in 20 seconds or so with no more than 1 second between steps. Parking brake on, car in ACC mode, foot on brake, etc. Oh well,

Any tips?
Did you use this Mazda official instruction?
For the record, here is an official copy of instruction to disable the DRL function for 2017 and older CX-5s obtained by bigtex from his Mazda dealer:
Is this the file:
527847dde9533ee284148c4c246937a3.jpg

I know that it does work, though it can be tricky. I turned them off on my '19 GTR, and actually just the other day ended up turning them back on.
I'm curious why you decided to turn them back on. Was there a downside?

@NathanH - So what happens when the DRLs are off? Do the side/parking lights stay off too? What happens when the lights are switched to auto?

I want to know if I should get the aftermarket LED strips and then would try this too.

Switch off = Everything off.
Switch auto = Everything off until light level triggers headlights on.
Switch parking light = parking lights on, headlights off.

And as to why I turned them back on, I figure in the winter time here in the midwest, it might be best to have them on considering my CX-5 is white. Kind of blends in with the snow. I had originally turned them off for fear of the LED's burning out and the replacement costs of the headlight. Decided not to worry about it as I more than likely will trade it in before it gets to that point.

I mentioned in another thread on this subject that I've always turned my headlights on when I drive. I read an article back in the early 90s that said Canada made it a law because it reduces the chances of having an accident (by 5%, if I recall). It's akin to driving a yellow car that stands out more...they, too, are statistically safer. So I leave them on because of everyone who's driving around me. It's cheap safety.

Cars have a way of blending into various backgrounds way too easily. That's one reason I've always preferred driving at night. As long as the other guy has his headlights on, there's no way to miss seeing him. During the day, I keep my headlights on...for the other guy.

Just tried twice more. No Joy. Has anyone actually done this with a '19 GT-R?
May be you can try to ask your Mazda dealer to turn the DRLs off at your next dealer visit. While you’re there, ask if the procedure posted here is still legit for 2019 CX-5 GT-R?

Nathan H said he has done this in his '19 GT-R.
He also said he just reversed the procedure.

These are the instructions I followed. Yes I know it says 2013 but it worked for me. As far as I can tell, the instructions are the same as the flow chart that I've seen posted here but IDK. Maybe the drivers door has to be shut? Also make sure you're only switching the light to the parking light position and not all the way to headlight.

Attachments

• Mazda CX-5 Daytime Running Light DRL Deactivation.pdf
    331.6 KB · Views: 180
These are the instructions I followed. Yes I know it says 2013 but it worked for me. As far as I can tell, the instructions are the same as the flow chart that I've seen posted here but IDK. Maybe the drivers door has to be shut? Also make sure you're only switching the light to the parking light position and not all the way to headlight.
For some reason I can no longer open the attachment on my iPhone since the website update. It opens up a window, asking if I want to download. Once I hit the Download button, the new window is just disappeared.

I have the door shut and the lights are only switched back and forth between the OFF and the PARKING positions. I guess I need to try things a little slower and not move from one step to the next so quickly.

Nathan H said he has done this in his '19 GT-R.
He also said he just reversed the procedure.

Oh yeah, I thought I had seen that but before I posted, I looked and missed it the second time. I only saw the GT post. So, either I am a complete idiot or something else is going on. I'm afraid I may have to concede to the idiot option.

Those are the ones I printed out and took into the car with me. I must be missing something.

Oh yeah, I thought I had seen that but before I posted, I looked and missed it the second time. I only saw the GT post. So, either I am a complete idiot or something else is going on. I'm afraid I may have to concede to the idiot option.
Dude, the complete idiot is the guy who conceived of this process.

I mean, it's not an "Oh, you crack the egg before putting in the frying pan!" kind of thing.

I just tried it on my new 2019 GTR multiple times and can't get it to work either. I'm also an (amateur) astronomer and DRL running lights could get me shot in a group situation! Sure hope it can be done.

Do you have to wait for the infotainment system to come up (dispense with red warning message) after turning on the power or some other detail I'm missing?

Now I want to try out out of curiosity, but I don't want to end up turning off some computer function by mistake :eek:
LOL!!

I'm the same way. I want to play with it just to see if I can get it to work, but I like having the lights on all the time and am afraid I won't be able to Undo.

I guess the dealer can put it back (unless some of you guys having problems are really undercover Mazda mechanics).

I just tried it on my new 2019 GTR multiple times and can't get it to work either. I'm also an (amateur) astronomer and DRL running lights could get me shot in a group situation! Sure hope it can be done.

Do you have to wait for the infotainment system to come up (dispense with red warning message) after turning on the power or some other detail I'm missing?

I'm letting everything boot up so that's not it. The last time I tried, I even started the engine within 2 seconds of the second sequence of light stalk antics. I don't know what other variations to try.

I'm letting everything boot up so that's not it. The last time I tried, I even started the engine within 2 seconds of the second sequence of light stalk antics. I don't know what other variations to try.
OK, just got it to work! Apparently you have to start out by pressing the engine switch twice such that the gauges are all lit. Pressing it one time (like the old acc position on an abby-normal car) would not work. I still had to go through the procedure a couple times, but got it.

Here's an old video I found that clued me in to the 2x engine button push and dash lights state:

Back