greddy sp2 and AEM cold air intake

charlietuna

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Could anyone let me know if they have either of, or both of these items on their Mazdaspeed Protege? if so, what is good or bad about either or both? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

they would probably make your car sound badass. :)

i have the injen CAI and that makes the turbo sound badass. i can imagine with a greddysp2, it would sound even better. from what i've read and heard sound clips, it's like the stock exhaust at idle and low throttle, but really growls at WOT.

AEM is a good intake, The greddy flows about the same as the stock exhaust. If i were you i'd just get a downpipe. Search the site and you'll find answers for all your questions.

And welcome to the site.

ChopstickHero said:
they would probably make your car sound badass. :)

i have the injen CAI and that makes the turbo sound badass. i can imagine with a greddysp2, it would sound even better. from what i've read and heard sound clips, it's like the stock exhaust at idle and low throttle, but really growls at WOT.

did you do the install on the intake yourself? if you did, was there any custom fabricating to do?

I just ordered my sp2, did some shopping around.

if you are looking for a good price, try racezero.com, they are running a deal for free shipping on orders over 250, so you pay like 6 bucks for handling fees, instead of 50 bucks like most other places.

best deal i could find, if you are looking to buy.

charlietuna said:
did you do the install on the intake yourself? if you did, was there any custom fabricating to do?

install was easy. brand name intakes usually come with instructions. my injen did. it wasn't the best, but it's not that hard. the only thing i had to do was drill a hole in a bracket (which the instructions told me to do). no need for custom fabrication, completely bolt on.

chowhoundMSP said:
I just ordered my sp2, did some shopping around.

if you are looking for a good price, try racezero.com, they are running a deal for free shipping on orders over 250, so you pay like 6 bucks for handling fees, instead of 50 bucks like most other places.

best deal i could find, if you are looking to buy.

i will check it out. thanks. i have found the best price so far at apexr1.com they have it for 466 shipped. i have not checked the site you said though, i will now. i look at racezero.com and could not find anything for mazdaspeed protege. how much was the exhaust you bought? was it cat-back?

Last edited:
ChopstickHero said:
install was easy. brand name intakes usually come with instructions. my injen did. it wasn't the best, but it's not that hard. the only thing i had to do was drill a hole in a bracket (which the instructions told me to do). no need for custom fabrication, completely bolt on.

the dilling was just through an aluminum plate?

charlietuna said:
the dilling was just through an aluminum plate?

drilled a hole through the coolant resevoir bracket. did this to to secure it to the frame and allow room for the coolant bottle. you'll understand when you see it or do it.

ChopstickHero said:
drilled a hole through the coolant resevoir bracket. did this to to secure it to the frame and allow room for the coolant bottle. you'll understand when you see it or do it.

i had a custom made Cai out of an apc kit for a f'n honda... needles to say... this comment is about the bracket re loacte and all that jazz everyone is dooing... all i needed to do was turn the bracket and put one screw in the hole pre drilled in the bracket and the hole in the stock location then tighten up the slack on your coolant hose form your resivor.... ill see about getting pics.. ive been meaning to post this... but.. yea.. you dont have to even with msp specific intakes.. all you need to do is turn it and reverse the tank.

-orph

charlietuna said:
Could anyone let me know if they have either of, or both of these items on their Mazdaspeed Protege? if so, what is good or bad about either or both? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

ill let you know in a few months. thtas the setup im planning for. anybody know the size piping for the sp2? thanks.

grcuadros said:
ill let you know in a few months. thtas the setup im planning for. anybody know the size piping for the sp2? thanks.

60mm or 2.36" ....

I have the SP2 and an Injen. I love both. The piping diameter is not an issue. Afterall, the MSP is not exactly a 300-400hp car. The Greddy sounds great when you take off for sure. No drone at highway speeds and it can be rather quiet under normal driving situations. The intake is very easy to install. Just take your time and jack the car up, it will be easier to install the filter and position the clamps at the turbo. Make sure you disconnect your negative terminal prior to starting. Becareful with your MAF and don't knock it around, You'll have to move the drivers side splash guard out of the way when installing the filter.

injen?

DAWIV said:
I have the SP2 and an Injen. I love both. The piping diameter is not an issue. Afterall, the MSP is not exactly a 300-400hp car. The Greddy sounds great when you take off for sure. No drone at highway speeds and it can be rather quiet under normal driving situations. The intake is very easy to install. Just take your time and jack the car up, it will be easier to install the filter and position the clamps at the turbo. Make sure you disconnect your negative terminal prior to starting. Becareful with your MAF and don't knock it around, You'll have to move the drivers side splash guard out of the way when installing the filter.

A lot of people posting have the injen intake setup. is this better than the AEM setup? i only decided to go with AEM because of the BLUE model color. Injen only comes in black and polished, and my car is blue.

I don't think it matters which CAI you go with. Since they are more style over substance, then why not go with the one that enhances your engine compartment best. I bought the Injen because it was the only one out at the time.

DAWIV said:
I don't think it matters which CAI you go with. Since they are more style over substance, then why not go with the one that enhances your engine compartment best. I bought the Injen because it was the only one out at the time.

After you added the exhaust and the intake, did you notice big power gains?

I never dynoed my car. The Injen was my first mod. Even before the flash, I noticed a difference. They both seemed to smooth out the acceleration a bit and allowed more top speed. I used to commute over 150 miles a day on the interstate. I also have a 2.5 catless downpipe which I put on after the Greddy SP2. That mod didn't translate in to a seat in the pants difference, but its crucial if you are going to up the boost.

Have you seen the Import Racer article that tested mods in stages? They used a catless downpipe and Greddy SP2 and reported 12whp and 14tq gains over stock. They also added an SRI and reported 8whp and 4tq gains over the factory box. Turning up the boost to 9.4 psi netted the biggest gain, 26whp and 24tq. You can find a copy of the article in an old thread on here. I have a TurboXS dual stage mbc, and that is by far my most effective mod for big power. I keep stage 1 at 6.9 psi for traction and stage 2 under 10 psi, unless I am using Sunoco GT100 race gas.

well i put on my AEM cai and DAMNNN. i hear the turbo spool up alot louder, and the hks bpv is soooo loud now. loud to the point where i might actually get annoyed of it, i guess time will tell.

EDIT: i only up to the gas station, havent felt any power differences yet. my only other mods are mbc, fmic, ss and bushings.

Last edited:
DAWIV said:
I never dynoed my car. The Injen was my first mod. Even before the flash, I noticed a difference. They both seemed to smooth out the acceleration a bit and allowed more top speed. I used to commute over 150 miles a day on the interstate. I also have a 2.5 catless downpipe which I put on after the Greddy SP2. That mod didn't translate in to a seat in the pants difference, but its crucial if you are going to up the boost.

Have you seen the Import Racer article that tested mods in stages? They used a catless downpipe and Greddy SP2 and reported 12whp and 14tq gains over stock. They also added an SRI and reported 8whp and 4tq gains over the factory box. Turning up the boost to 9.4 psi netted the biggest gain, 26whp and 24tq. You can find a copy of the article in an old thread on here. I have a TurboXS dual stage mbc, and that is by far my most effective mod for big power. I keep stage 1 at 6.9 psi for traction and stage 2 under 10 psi, unless I am using Sunoco GT100 race gas.

What do you mean SRI? i am new on this site and don't know all the lingo yet. i understood the rest. what company did you go with on the downpipe. os there 1 or 2 cats after it?

DAWIV said:

What do you mean SRI? i am new on this site and don't know all the lingo yet. i understood the rest. what company did you go with on the downpipe. os there 1 or 2 cats after it? also, what company flashed your ecu?

Back