Greddy bov compatibility with hiboost fmic kit?

:
2003.5 Blazing Yellow MSP (Forged)
Been running the hiboost fmic kit for long time now. Yesterday the diaphram on the included hks bpv finally failed and will no long hold vacuum so the bpv will not open. I removed the internals and installed the stock bpv in the recirc hose to avoid the compressor surge for the time being, but I need a new valve that will mount to the flange on the hiboost cold pipe. Does anyone know for sure if the flange is the same as a greddy flange. I am thinking of getting the greddy type fv. I may relocate my maf or I might just get the 19mm recirc fitting and keep it recirculating. Just want to know if it will fit before I order one. Thanks...

Greddy flange has two bolts to mount, HKS uses a snap ring. You can buy a pipe with a flange on it and cut out the old flange to replace it.
I say don't recirc but either way relocate the MAF.

Greddy flange has two bolts to mount, HKS uses a snap ring. You can buy a pipe with a flange on it and cut out the old flange to replace it.
I say don't recirc but either way relocate the MAF.

No the hks bpv on the highboost fmic kit bolts on with 2 bolts. The flange already looks just like a greddy flange. I was trying to make sure it was the same size. I have since found some pics of a greddy type s bov bolted on to the same pipe, so I am pretty sure they are the same.

Its the hiboost kit for the msp. I said I've had it for a long time, lol. I bought my msp brand new (original owner). I even have a MAM built shortblock in my msp, if that tells you anything. I know the hks bovs like the ssqv have a different style flange but this one is definitely 2 bolts. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

Its the hiboost kit for the msp. I said I've had it for a long time, lol. I bought my msp brand new (original owner). I even have a MAM built shortblock in my msp, if that tells you anything. I know the hks bovs like the ssqv have a different style flange but this one is definitely 2 bolts. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

I just bought a hiboost fmic kit, I sure would like to see how your HKS BOV was mounted. Thanks

I never had a HKS BOV. My kit came with a HKS made bypass valve that bolted to the cold pipe. It had a Greddy style 2 bolt flange. I replaced it with a Greddy Type FV and it bolted right on with no issue. I did have to relocate the MAF though, since I am now venting to the atmosphere. Here is a pic of the HKS bypass valve that came with my Hiboost FMIC kit:

HKSBPV.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You initally say that your HKS valve failed, and last post said you never had a HKS bov? Only you understand what you are saying.

Then, you say to have installed the bov on the recirc hose to prevent surge....

A BOV installed on the recirc hose will do nothing at all.

If you remove the internals of the HKS bov, you may not have surge, but you will overspin the turbo.

(hand) That is not what I said.

Yes, the HKS valve failed, but it was a bypass valve, not a blow off valve. Please see the picture posted above. The diaphram ripped and would not hold vacuum. Therefore, it would not open at all. This caused compressor surge.

Since it bolts to the cold pipe on a greddy style flange. I initially could not remove the HKS BPV completely, because there would be no way to reinstall my stock BPV and there would be a huge hole in the cold pipe. Therefore, I removed the internals of the HKS BPV and made it into a hollow elbow fitting so that I could reinstall the stock BPV that came with the car. The stock BPV (NOT BOV) mounts into the recirculating hose, between the cold pipe and the intake. Having the stock BPV installed prevented overspinning the turbo. This was a temporary setup, so that I could still drive the car until I was able to replace the failed HKS BPV, but it worked fine.

Once I received my Greddy Type FV, I removed both the HKS (that had no internals) and the stock BPV. I relocated my MAF and installed the Greddy Type FV with the valve venting to the atmosphere.

I also got the Greddy FV for my MSP. It's located on the cold pipe with a relocated MAF. Only thing I can say bad about the FV is that I still get a lil compressor surge under low boost. With high boost the BOV works great and has a nice "swoosh" sound as opposed to the loud "pshhht" of some of the others (HKS being one). But the thing I like best about the FV is it doesn't open and create a vacuum leak while revving or subsequent to low boost. I think the BOV would eliminate the compressor surge if located on the hot pipe, but that's only conjecture. Meantime, I've grown to love my pet turkey.

Got it now, you installed the stock bpv between the bov and the intake.

That is, in fact, an HKS standard bov that has a welded tube to fit on your recirculation hose. Yes, it can be used as both BPV and BOV just like the SSQ (this one you need to buy the recirc kit).

I run both the HKS std bov and the HKS SSQ.

I also got the Greddy FV for my MSP. It's located on the cold pipe with a relocated MAF. Only thing I can say bad about the FV is that I still get a lil compressor surge under low boost. With high boost the BOV works great and has a nice "swoosh" sound as opposed to the loud "pshhht" of some of the others (HKS being one). But the thing I like best about the FV is it doesn't open and create a vacuum leak while revving or subsequent to low boost. I think the BOV would eliminate the compressor surge if located on the hot pipe, but that's only conjecture. Meantime, I've grown to love my pet turkey.

That is probably the valve itself opening and operating, compressor surge is only after the turbo has built boost not at light throttle.

Back