Google Maps on Android Auto - Night mode?

:
95 Miata, 14 CX5 Touring FWD, 18 CX9 GT FWD
I noticed that when using Google Maps on Android Auto, the maps don't go to night mode when it gets dark.

I couldn't find any settings in Android Auto, but in Google Maps there is a Auto, Day and Night setting. I have it set to auto.

When using Google Maps on the phone itself, it will automatically switch to night mode, but doesn't do the same when plugged into the car and using Android Auto.

I've tried googling this and other users noticed that it is tied to headlight operation, but our CX9 headlights are also set to Auto. I haven't tried to manually turn the headlights to the "on" position to see if does anything, but i would have hoped that once the headlights turn on in auto mode, Google Maps would do the same.

Anybody else experience this issue?

Your dash light setting is on max. Turn the knob one click counter clockwise and it should switch to night mode automatically.

Tried playing around with the max light setting and it was already one click below. It didn't make a difference when going back and forth between the max and not.

I also switched the headlights to all positions, parking lights, on, Auto, high beams and the maps still stayed in day mode.

This was done at night with the car fully on.

The stock navigation maps change between night and day modes normally.

if you have a samsung phone (mine is s9+) the latest software update now have a functional night mode that will correctly set the map to night mode at night and day mode during the day.

Best update ever.

The new android auto has solved this issue!

The maps are now correctly displaying in day and night mode!

Back