2014~2020 Going to war with Mazda re: rear brakes

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
Well folks, as mentioned in a few posts in other threads, the rear brakes on my 2017 6 GT look like crap.
I was at the local dealer today for my fall oil change, and they said my rear brakes are done and need replacing.
Like I didn't know that already. FYI, the car only has 20,000 kms (12,000 miles) on it.
The quote is $600.
Like, no way my friends.
I asked them to do it under warranty, and they came back and said no. Duh.
I have sent an e-mail to Mazda Canada, and also contacted my selling dealer to look into the matter.
This is just the start of my journey.
I'll keep you posted, if anyone is interested.
Cheers for now.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
What do they look like? Is it pads and rotors that need to be replaced, or is there more?

Natey

Contributor
Patron
If the rears are gone at 12000 miles, there's a problem with your brakes.

Bird-Dog

2017 CX-5 Touring 2020 CX-5 GTR
Dealer service dept prices are always ridiculously high for out-of-pocket repairs (the main reason we call them "stealerships"). Full axle Pad & Rotor kits can be found here for as little as $65 USD ($85 CAD). Labor shouldn't be more than 1 hr.

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
They want to replace rotors and pads.
Rotors are scored with gouges running through them, and you can see that the contact point with the pads has narrowed.
They are rusty as all can be too.
I was given the usual story that it's because the car isn't driven enough and that the rotors rust if not used enough.
I get that, to a point.
The car is garage kept most of the time, especially in winter, and it rarely gets driven in snowy/salty conditions.
I guess my beef is that the quality of the components can't be that good if they're shot after less than 3 years and 12,000 miles.
I am appealing to Mazda's sense of compassion and public relations to get them to cover the premature wear.
BTW, The quote was from a dealer closest to me. I did not buy the car from them, so that might have something to do with it.
I've contacted the service manager at the selling dealership and he wants to see the car before passing judgment.
We shall see.

:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
I hear there is a TSB for Mazda3 brakes. Did you check to see if your 6 is covered under this?

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
Hmmm, interesting.
I never thought to look for any TSB's.
Can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
I was reading in another forum that an owner was having similar premature wear issues with his Mazda3. He went on to report that the dealership replaced his pads and rotors without charge. You may want to call the dealership from whom you bought your car, and ask the service manager about this.

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
As I mentioned above, I've contacted the salesrep (that sold me the car), as well as the Service Manager at the dealership where I bought it.
They want to see the car, so I'm arranging to take it there this week.
I'll keep you posted.
Cheers.