Gauges disappoint

I expect no gauges for a dull daily driver car but, not a "zoom zoon drivers car. Ed
Whether we like it or not they're all going in this direction. Current M3 has no oil dipstick, for example.
The days of digital sensors only are upon us.

That said, the coolant temp is a very important temp to know, as there are obviously different levels of "overheating" - knowing if it's overheating by 1' or 100' matters.

Regarding overheating, the red indicator has 2 modes to indicate 2 important and different levels of overheating, (one mode is flashing red light, the other is red light stays on).

So really what Mazda is doing with the blue light and red light (which has 2 modes) is giving the driver important information that they might otherwise not notice with a regular gauge.

When I said I don't miss them now, mine is a Mazdaspeed. From what I've seen on modern cars, even if there were a temperature gauge, it would show a constant reading. On other recent cars with them the pointer never deviates.

Correct...Most gauges on cars these days are bogus. Oil pressure gauges are generally simple on/off switches with analog displays. You have it or you don't..
Water temp gauges are usually "Smoothed". For instance, my GTI shows 190 degrees when the actual temp ranges anywhere from 160 to 220. With "gauges" like this, they're pretty worthless..

If most temp gauges are bogus, no wonder Mazda went to blue light and 2 phase red light ,for temp which provides some helpful data to driver.

Let's see, BMW took away the temperature gauge, the oil dipstick, and the spare tire. Talking about the ultimate driving machine.

In comparison, CR-V's tach gauge is now tiny on the left corner. CX-5 gauges look fine to me.

Most of those gauges are not accurate anyway. They're more for show. I didn't even notice my Mazda didn't have one until a week after I bought it. most of the time I was looking at the current MPG and Average MPG like this (wow).

My CX7 has a genuine water temperature gauger and it appears that the CX5 doesn't even have that. I prefer at a minimum to have a real oil pressure and water temp gauge. For a company that sells Zoom Zoom vehicles as drivers cars, I expected more.

I was initially apprehensive when I bought new Honda Jazz without Temp guage 8yrs ago.
Main concern was that there were different "degrees" of overheating. Knowing where your temp needle normally sits gives an early indication of a problem if it reads above that point. Nice to know CX5 has two overheating indicators (flashing or constant red).

I must say that appearance, location, calibration and colour of instrument cluster/dials is of great importance to me.
They are something that you look at often, must be functional and pleasing to the eye.
My least favoured instrument colour is red (too angry) and is why I have avoided Mazdas thus far.
Prefer soft blues or whites. LOVE the CX5 dials. Very modern an clear/uncluttered.
Would consider a volkswagen polo for it's similarly grat looking cluster.
Desperately want a Toyota86, but ughh the red dials, and so crowded, lacking in clarity. (I like 10km/hr speed and 500rpm increments).
Some say that I am borderline OCD!

Please stop the nonsense. If this is useless why the Cx-9 has a temp gauge.
Not having one is disadvantageous to say the least.
I have had a car with faulty thermostat and it kept the engine overly cool. There is no way to measure and diagnose that kind of a problem without a temp gauge. There is no possible way to know if your car heats up quickly or slowly, indicating how you manage the engine, especially on long hauls/climbs/downhill descends.
The lack of temp gauge cannot be explained by "no one needs it" because there are plenty of features not needed but existent. For instance, the tachometer, the outside temp gauge, the automatic gearbox selector, etc. It is inexcusable mistake, and the option of not having it on the dash is really annoying!

The lack of temp gauge cannot be explained by "no one needs it" because there are plenty of features not needed but existent. For instance, the tachometer, the outside temp gauge, the automatic gearbox selector, etc. It is inexcusable mistake, and the option of not having it on the dash is really annoying!

I don't know if you are aware if this, but on most cars these days, the temp "Gauge" is no more than an idiot light. The output has been smoothed and dithered to make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy.
For instance, My VW(s) register 190 (normal) when the actual (Scangauge) verified temp is anywhere from 155 to 225. Many many cars are like this. It's essentially worthless. Just like the oil pressure gauge on an MX5 which is nothing more than an idiot light attached to a gauge face.

Don't sweat the lights.

Just because "other" vehicles in this class do not have gauges is only an excuse, to compare lessor vehicles imo. The spece needed for an oil and water temp gauge could have be taken for the 120 to 160 mph speedomenter space.

Detail one instance where the lack of a temp and oil gauge has caused a specific issue.

Just because "other" vehicles in this class do not have gauges is only an excuse, to compare lessor vehicles imo. The spece needed for an oil and water temp gauge could have be taken for the 120 to 160 mph speedomenter space.

Lessor vehicles?? Sure we all love our CX5's but honestly, the market is saturated with these small SUV's that will be likely driven by soccer mom types. You think they want/need a gauge?...LOL.. Heck, they'll likely keep driving with CEL's and warning lights flashing on the dash.
Honestly, it's not that important, especially if the gauge doesn't output REAL data as most do. False security

Last edited:
The CX9 cost a lot more money than the CX5 does. I think having a temp gauge today is a throwback to the 80's and early 90's. If you really need to know the temperature of the coolant than you could always acquire a scan gauge.

The CX9 cost a lot more money than the CX5 does. I think having a temp gauge today is a throwback to the 80's and early 90's. If you really need to know the temperature of the coolant than you could always acquire a scan gauge.

And that's the only way to get an accurate reading..

As a person who enjoys driving and really appreciates the engineering of the CX5, I would have really an the oil pressure and engine temp gauge. If it impacted the cost too much then it should be offered as an accessory that matches the instrument cluster so it looks like it was engineered for the vehicle. Ed

Gauges are nice for noticing trends that may indicate a potential problem.

As a person who enjoys driving and really appreciates the engineering of the CX5, I would have really an the oil pressure and engine temp gauge. If it impacted the cost too much then it should be offered as an accessory that matches the instrument cluster so it looks like it was engineered for the vehicle. Ed

100% pure grade A OCD. Honestly, please provide one realistic circumstance where this would genuinely be more useful than a properly implemented warning light.

Back